Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SK

READ: The Shale Boom Is About To Go Bust

I actually loved the article, it really shows the forest through the trees, I can’t wait for the shale bust to come!

disclaimer: bullish on oil, bearish on shale. 

• Great Response! 1

The long laterals aren't the new direction much as he would like to think so.  I believe what XTO did on our section with multiple wells drilled using 4400ft laterals is working better.  The long laterals are more expensive to frac because they require more horsepower to maintain the volume and pressure of the fluids.  Turns out maybe the long fracs were identified as not optimal a couple of years ago but this guy is just now noticing it.

What I know is that Cimarex drilled several 10k ft lateral wells near us and they turned out to have less production per foot of lateral than did the ones half the length.  The production also declined more over time.  Cimarex drilled them back in early 2016.  One of them they re-frac'd and production went back up to the original IP but it's back down now and has caught up to where it's made about as much oil as two wells with 5kft laterals have.  The other one to the south of us that they did back then has produced only slightly more than a 5k foot well would have done in the same time frame.  The last one they drilled in 2017 has done about 50% better in the first year than the other two did so they had a better frac technique but I notice that they have not drilled any others since although there are several permitted.

• Upvote 1