Tom Kirkman

Greenpeace claims one oil rig is "pushing the world closer to a climate catastrophe"

Just curious, is Greenpeace using diesel or other hydrocarbons to power their boat, which they are using to try to stop BP from installing the oil rig in the North Sea?

Campaigners vow further action as oil rig heads to North Sea

Environmental activists have vowed to continue attempts to prevent an oil rig from reaching a North Sea field despite the structure leaving port overnight.

Greenpeace campaigners occupied the rig in the Cromarty Firth, north of Inverness in Scotland, between Sunday and Friday.

Two activists were arrested at around 2pm on Friday after police went to the platform, taking the total arrests to 14.

Campaigners have now said the rig, which was under contract to BP, left the area overnight and is off the coast of Scotland.

The environmentalists want BP to stop drilling for oil and hope to stop the Transocean PBLJ rig from reaching the Vorlich oil field.

Greenpeace UK executive director John Sauven said: “For nearly a week, our brave activists strained every sinew to stop this BP rig from drilling new oil wells and fuelling the climate emergency. And it’s not over.

“As we speak, our ship the Arctic Sunrise is sailing towards Scotland ready to play her part in thwarting BP’s plans.

“They say we’re reckless and irresponsible. We say there’s nothing as reckless and irresponsible as pushing the world closer to a climate catastrophe."

one rig is doing all this?? 😂😂 ok then...these people are really dumb, and now going out to where the rig is? any of them idiots get on that should be considered piracy or terrorism, not sure if they just want to occupy it or damage it, but if you don't know what you're.doing don't touch things, could really get some workers hurt....

• Like 1

Yes, they should probably be tried for piracy.  Greenpeace antics could get others killed.

• Upvote 1

First, I would have thought BP, the new Green multinational oil company, would have gladly given in to the Greenpeace demands. Anything to keep their environmentally conscience shareholders happy. You can't have it both ways...can you?

Second, if those Greenpeace morons want to attempt to board a rig under tow in the North Sea....let them! We will get to see Darwinism at work!

Lastly, it is a little known fact that the Greenpeace vessel is powered by the salvaged engines of the Starship Enterprise fueled by fairy dust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Second, if those Greenpeace morons want to attempt to board a rig under tow in the North Sea....let them! We will get to see Darwinism at work!

Problem is they could tamper with wrong equipment and get workers hurt. Treat as terrorists me thinks. 

• Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Problem is they could tamper with wrong equipment and get workers hurt. Treat as terrorists me thinks. 

Watercannons are a beautiful thing when properly deployed.

• Like 1

The point which I was trying to make is that it would be very difficult and dangerous to board a drilling rig, at it's towing draft, in the North Sea unless it just happened to be calm. It would not be like scambering up the side of a ship!

(edited)

23 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

For nearly a week, our brave activists strained every sinew to stop this BP rig from drilling new oil wells and fuelling the climate emergency. And it’s not over.

Venceremos!

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

The point which I was trying to make is that it would be very difficult and dangerous to board a drilling rig, at it's towing draft, in the North Sea unless it just happened to be calm. It would not be like scambering up the side of a ship!

Well, as you said, let's see some darwinism in action, then. There's only so much you can do to protect people from themselves, after all.

Update: Greenpeace said a fresh attempt to get on board was thwarted, but its protest ship Arctic Sunrise had now forced the rig to change course. Here.

The Arctic Sunrise does not run on hydrogen or sunshine or wind power. It's an icebreaker as far as I remember. The hypocrisy.

Edited by Marina Schwarz
  • Like 1

I thought that interfering with a vessel in pursuit of commerce on the high seas was illegal. Can't the Coast Guard or equivalent impound the Arctic Sunrise?

Why do these morons get to ignore the Rules of the Road on the high seas?

I am seeing a symbiotic relationship developing between the Arctic Sunrise and some of those limpet mines floating around (pun intended as limpet mines do not float) in the Persian Gulf.

5 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I thought that interfering with a vessel in pursuit of commerce on the high seas was illegal. Can't the Coast Guard or equivalent impound the Arctic Sunrise?

Why do these morons get to ignore the Rules of the Road on the high seas?

I am seeing a symbiotic relationship developing between the Arctic Sunrise and some of those limpet mines floating around (pun intended as limpet mines do not float) in the Persian Gulf.

Because the UK government is a bunch of P****es and don't know how to get radical back for the safety and well being of tow ship and the platform. Sink the Arctic Sunrise, pick up survivors and tote them to jail for trial. Then again, is the UK we talking about.

Let's see what the British authorites do when the rig gets on location and starts ballasting down and running anchors (assuming the rig is moored and not DP). If Greenpeace is allowed to interfere with the anchor handling vessels OR the rig, then the British government is culpable.

• Upvote 1