Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

GM Considering Electric Hummer

I think the Hummer H1 is dead forever.  A more likely candidate would be the Chevy Suburban, which i recall is also the chassis for the Hummer H3  (the difference being exterior body panels and so forth).  But more logical for GM would be to buy a small custom builder of electric pick-ups and then put their manufacturing expertise to work in cranking them out.  GM has high internal costs in developing new product.  Buying an outside developed type is both much faster and a lot cheaper.  We shall see if GM management can get up to speed on that.   (Here is a really neat electric pickup truck...).

image.thumb.png.6b8f50042b3f4fb0fb7c07c268275ea3.png

• Like 1

I was sure that Hummer was sold off to a Chinese company during GM's bankruptcy.  They got rid of Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and I thought Hummer.

7 hours ago, Brian W said:

I thought there is already an electric Hummer. 

The Aahnold only had one built!   (I guess he is an investor in that Austrian company). 

Remember that the H-1 is so oversize that it needs to have clearance lights installed along the roof line.  You need five clearance lights up there, same as a semi-trailer tractor.  I don't picture anything that huge being a popular buy in Austria, considering the narrow roads. 

The H-3 is narrower and lighter, and will fit on most roads. 

You can tell the difference (not only by the clearance lights) by noting the design of the drive.  The H-1 has no solid axles underneath.  Instead, the shafts to the wheels go over to a set of stacked gears right at the wheel.  That way the undercarriage maintains maximum ground clearance, and the vehicle does not get hung up on some rock by the axle.