sh

renewable energy Calculating the CO2 reduction by using Solar Home Systems

Dear Sir/Madam,

Kindly provide me any suggestion and discussion on the tile of CO2 reduction by using solar home systems in rural area.

Could you please to explain about the calculations of CO2 reduction and emission based on the type of resources.

Thank you very much.

(edited)

Hi  I don't know if this helps but enphase software for our panels says the  EPA calculates  1 watt of clean power offsets .00070555 metric tons of Carbon dioxide. Frankly with the banks paying virtually nothing roof top solar is a great investment. 

Edited by lasttwo

Sorry to be vague but it does really all depend. Are you living in China by any chance? If so the answer is nothing, but if you don't have much power supply to begin with then a solar panel is a good idea.. the problem is that a few panels in one area isn't going to make the generating authority change the amount of power it sends out.. the extra will still be within operating range and the party bosses generally tell them what to produce and at what price anyway. If you and neighbours put up enough of them in one area for the grid managers to notice then I'm not sure what happens, but I'd ask first. As for what type of fuel well, what type of fuel is your generating authority using? If you're in an area supplied by a diesel generator then a panel may make a difference - depending. The figure given by lasttwo, while correct as far as it does, is an idealised result. Where panels are used in an urban setting the saving depends on what the grid manager does, or is able to do, when its generating, and that may depend on what conventional plants they have on the system. A lot of panels in one area have been known to blown the local grid.. that problem may  be fixed by smart grids but its still not as simple as putting up panels to reduce emissions.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lasttwo said:

Hi  I don't know if this helps but enphase software for our panels says the  EPA calculates  1 watt of clean power offsets .00070555 metric tons of Carbon dioxide. Frankly with the banks paying virtually nothing roof top solar is a great investment. 

Depends where you live and what the marginal supply of power is in your electricity grid

A typical panel mounted at the optimum angle in the Southern  UK  will generate about 1kwh per watt of capacity per year. 

If that displaces coal then the CO2 saving is about 960 grams. Against CCGT gas its about 450 grams 

On 7/1/2019 at 4:59 AM, Shaung said:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Kindly provide me any suggestion and discussion on the tile of CO2 reduction by using solar home systems in rural area.

Could you please to explain about the calculations of CO2 reduction and emission based on the type of resources.

Thank you very much.

NickW has good numbers for fossil fuel generation. The truth is it very much depends, not just on the average mix for your grid, but also the mix of electricity sources at the moment you are generating your solar.

if your grid already has a lot of solar, you could just be displacing that and not doing much CO2 reduction at all. 

If your grid is gas heavy, you could be displacing a gas peaker plant and CO2 emissions somewhere between the CCGT and coal.

if you have a battery, you are more likely to displace base load at night that could me mostly coal or CCGT.

So, it depends.