Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TB

Nor Chicago, nor Detroit: Killings By Police Divide Rio De Janeiro Weary Of Crime

It happens, on average, more than five times a day in Rio de Janeiro: Police open fire and someone dies. Brazilian human rights and victims’ groups are raising alarms about the record levels of deaths at police hands in the state of 17.2 million people, with 1,075 slain in the first seven months of the year, according to official figures. And far-right Rio state Gov. Wilson Witzel and President Jair Bolsonaro are pushing to give police a still-freer hand. Witzel said in July that police should lose their “fear of killing.” Bolsonaro said this month that with a new law he backs, criminals “are going to die in the street like cockroaches.”

• Like 1

They are in a war against drug dealers that are using military graded weapons. As I read, the current RJ governor supports the activity of the police so they are fighting even harder. What is the alternative: chaos and anarchy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pavel said:

They are in a war against drug dealers that are using military graded weapons. As I read, the current RJ governor supports the activity of the police so they are fighting even harder. What is the alternative: chaos and anarchy.

But...  Except there's a lot of innocent people that have no relation to the criminals apart from living/being born in the favelas getting killed daily as collateral damage. It's not like they can just move out.

5 minutes ago, joze44 said:

But...  Except there's a lot of innocent people that have no relation to the criminals apart from living/being born in the favelas getting killed daily as collateral damage. It's not like they can just move out.

I'm not sure about the high percentage of innocent civilians deaths... possible, but I assume that only criminals are killing innocent people.

• Like 1

The encouragement of President Bolsonaro and Governor Witzel have essentially given police a license to kill! Police in Rio de Janeiro have killed 881 people in six months!!

• Like 1

This is nothing new, it has always been the same ... And, it will be.

• Like 1

Too late, too dangerous... Mafia has already formed. And, like everywhere, an important part of it are former members of the police, corrupt cops, prosecutors and politicians...

• Like 1

image.png.5e346f46c36fbaa87647db2428a8752b.png...

We frequently visit St. Louis, and I have never seen anything as scary as what I have seen in Los Angeles, which is not listed. In any city you should know what areas are safe and stay there, especially after dark.