(edited)

20 hours ago, RuudinFrance said:

So, what would that mean, USA going it all alone in an indifferent world, a world that doesn’t care about the USA 

You say " . . . would that mean. USA going it alone . . . " 

What do you suggest we depend France ?  LOL  😂

When have the French won anything ?  They just keep on surrendering. 

I heard there is a motion put forward at the UN to officially change the French Tricolor 🇫🇷 from Blue, White and Red to  .  .  .  .  an ALL WHITE FLAG (for surrender)

France has never been a team player and never will.  Unfortunely, France has again lost control of their own country.  Sorry U.S. can't save you this time. Looks like it's too late.

https://tenor.com/view/white-flag-surrender-tanker-tank-gif-4793789 

Edited by SKEP
  • Rolling Eye 1

18 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Not part of the economic discussion.  

Killing citizens has a tendency to have economic impact

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boat said:

It is reported that most of the companies leaving China end up in other low wage countries and not back to the US. How does this help anyone? It’s one thing to address a problem but the execution of the plan should end with positive results. EH? Harming China was not the goal. Restoring trade balances with multiple countries was. Keep the eye on the ball.

Merely having low wage factories offshore isn't what harms American interests. Vietnam  has low wages, but their government doesn't pursue systematic economic warfare and intellectual property theft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Look at your Statue of liberty... without France USA would never had won independence.

"Ungrateful [and] boorish" describes the states, not the refinement of France.

The French didn't come to free the patriots.  They came to fight the Brits for Mercantile ambitions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2019 at 11:06 PM, Enthalpic said:

Coors light and a hot dog versus a baguette and cheese with fine wine.

Both good!

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, SKEP said:

Frenchy

You seem to be making a sizable effort to address my "MAGA" posts.  LOL

Not MAGA. Didn't vote for Trump.

COLABORATORS

Your post represents typical French "collaborator" behavior.  Root against the U.S. in favor of the Chinese Communist Party.  Some things never change. 

Your half-hearted attempt to counter my argument for fair trade fails miserably.  Call people names, demonize them and create false narratives.  It doesn't help your economy very much.  You should learn to work with others.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX

Is this more of the French inferiority complex carryover from your inability to save yourself from WW II invaders.

How many more french Nazi collaborators were there then than those willing to fight for their freedom were there ? ? ? Too many. The French could even depend on the Fench during WW II. Am I wrong ?

LOL

ALLIES SACRAFICE

Thank the  Allies that had to bail you out at great loss of life. Thankless ungrateful boorish dolt. 

There are over 9,000 UNITED STATES SOLDIERS BURIED IN NORMANDY (that is just one 3 day battle) that sacrificed their life for you.  That's 9,000 young men that had their whole life in front of them that took a bullet FOR YOU.

NATO / LIBYA

Then there is NATO. When a U.S. airliner gets bombed after leaving Europe all  NATO Allies are supposed to come to the defense of member countries. Instead the greedy French put Libyan oil over their NATO commitment. The U.S. merely requested ability to fly over French Territory.  France refused. The U.S. pilots had to double their flight time from British bases to Libya to deal with Khafafi. Thanks for nothing.

NOW FRANCE WANTS NATO

Oh, then when Libya's Khafafi started negotiating with Russia and China (as they have a right to do) to develope Libyan oil fields France goes into a full fledged panic and fabricates a false narrative of Libyan slaughter and genocide of the innocent to get U.S. to pay for an attack and save their oil interest in Libya. All this for a civil war inside Libya that the UN charter does not allow forces to get involved in internal civil war. The U.N. and Hillary had no right to interfere.  The French could talk Obama/Clinton into fighting your wars.

ONCE AGAIN UNITED STATES FIGHTS FRANCES WARS.

SOLDIER HEROS

Last year two young U.S. soldiers were vacationing in France. While riding on a French train a terrorist started to open fire on the occupants of the train car.  The two United States soldiers charged the perpetrator putting themselves in harms way.  They saved a lot of lives that dsy. Do you think two French soldiers traveling on a train in the U.S. would do the same under those circumstances ? NOPE. Never in a million years. 

UNRELIABLE

France is about as reliable as China. The lesson to be learned is don't count on the French. They are undependable.  No character. No honor. No courage.

Tell me, what industry does France have left besides a heavily government subsidized Airbus Corporation ?  Maybe some tourist industry.  Oh, you do make a great bottle of French grape juice.

You know you would probably have been better off today if Germany won WW2. They would have taught you how to manufacture, grow industry and be competitive ?  Am I wrong ?

Go ahead continue to call people names.  Ridicule others for wanting a fair trading system.

Why not put away a bottle of cognac it will help you forget about your problems for a few hours. 

SCHADENFREUDE

French display of schadenfreude is obvious . . . and revolting.  It's for losers.  

Next time when France needs help . .  .  .  . don't worry the U.S. will be there for you.  

That's just the way the way we are in the United Ststes. 

The French need to grow a pair .  .  .  .

• Haha 2

On 8/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, Enthalpic said:

Do you hold any equities?

I swear some people here don't care about the markets because they have nothing to lose.  Probably a bunch of trump supporters are in the same boat (broke AF so don't even watch the financial news as it's moot).  Put some skin in the game and then talk about how trump's trade tweet recession is a good thing.

China is not going to cave.  They would fight back more but they import so little from the states that they have almost nothing left to tariff.

Attacking every other nation who trades with china won't work.  Foreign investment in Canada's oil sands is common (plenty of US companies are here) but it's still Canadian oil. Shall we (Canada) start throwing damaging legislation at those US companies as retaliation?

The U.S. should base their policy around your portfolio ?

• Haha 1

(edited)

On 8/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, NickW said:

I assume these Companies operate under local Canadian laws? 

Chinese Communist Party has put illegal tariffs on U.S. oil.  It's perfectly legit if Trump puts a $5 levy, duty, tariff or whatever as the CCP owns Sinopec and CCNOC .  .  .  .  .  which owns 100%  of oil sands companies Nexen and Athabasca. 

Best move would be to stop all their shipments into U.S.. Believe me the other oil producers in Canada would love that capacity on the pipelines and fill it in 1 minute.

Think about what China has accomplished over the last 25 years. They have brought 300 million people into the middle class.

WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT .  .  .  . THINK ABOUT WHAT THE COMMUNIST PEOPLES LIBERATION ARMY (PLA) MILITARY HAS BUILT WITH STOLEN U.S. TECHNOLOGY AND FINANCED WITH PREDATORY AND UNFAIR TRADE AND INDUSTRIAL PRACTICES.

THINK ABOUT IT.  BUSH, CARTER, OBAMA DID NOTHING. TRUMP (the chosen one, lol) FINALY STOOD UP TO CHINESE HEGEMONY.

Do you understand all stolen technology GOES STRAIGHT TO THE PLA, BEFORE INDUSTRY GETS A LOOK AT IT.

THIS ISN'T JUST ABOUT SOYBEANS.  ITS SO MUCH MORE.

Total disengagement is a real option. I think Trump's Phase II will be bringing the rest of the world on board, Mexico, Canada, Brazil,  TPP and European countries.

Edited by SKEP

On 8/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, SKEP said:

Chinese Communist Party retaliates against U.S. oil with tariff because U.S. wants them to abide by WTO rules and reciprocal opportunity.

* Trump always punches back twice as hard so .  .  .  

* If China puts a tariff on U.S. oil exported into China  as they have . . . 

* Put a 10% tariff on Chinese Oil Sands product the exported into or thru the U.S. 

Actually, forget the 10% . Instead go with flat $5 per barrel. Corporations can evade tariffs by playing around with transfer pricing. Make it a flat $5 per barrel on Chinese Oil Sands crude or dilbit.  The exporter should sign export papers declaring (1) origin of oil and chain of custody (2) percentage of exporting Oil Sands Company owned by a Chinese Company.  Prorate the $5 bbl fee to percentage owned by Chinese. 

Start with the larger Oil Sands companies 100% owned by the Chinese Communist Government CNOOC and Sinopec . . . .  Nexen and Athabasca Oil Sands.  The very same Chinese Communist Party just put a 5% tariffs on U.S. oil.  Hit these Chinese oil companies with the $5 bbl duty.

Better yet I would ban their oil from entering U.S.  The other Oil Sands producers not owned by the Chinese Communist party would surely appreciate the move. Pipeline capacity to U.S. is severely limited , better it goes to friends than an enemy.

Example: if an Oil Sands Company is 40% owned by Chinese Oil Company and exports 1million barrels of dilbit to U.S. 

1milion bbls X 40% X $5 = $2 Million. Give the $2 Million to the U.S. farmers.

China's oil companies also have investment in US Shale basins.  Put a yearly fee on the investments of those Chinese companies. The U.S. companies were not allowed to invest or drill in China. But Chinese could invest in U.S.  oil and gas. Now as of 2 months ago China wants US Shale companies to invest in Chinese Shale drilling. They now do because their Shale oil is not cost effective and they need U.S. knowledge.   There Shale is 20,000 to 25,000 ft. deep and the formation are broken up into small pockets. A total waste of time.

(Note other topic: Argentina Vaca Muerta Shale will be bigger than Permian)

China's behavior is disgraceful. I recommend U.S. should proceed with disengagement from China's economy and place permanent 10% tariff on all Chinese goods exported to US. 

U.S. is wasting their time.

If Chinese Communist Secretary General Xi Jinping would like to get serious about fair trade and reciprocal treatment he knows who to call. He has Trump's telephone number.

Anyone that says "free trade" commerce exists today is delusional, naive or lying. 

Go for it Donald. It's now or never.  

If you stay the course I promise I will hold my nose and vote for you next time.

Dont forget your medication, Trump lover!

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/dispu_by_country_e.htm

No shortage of WTO cases involving China. China is by and large willing to deal with the WTO, which is slow as cases work through. In one of Trump's cut of your nose to spite your face moments, the USA is blocking adding any judges to the process, even though the USA does quite well in cases it brings.

Remember, so much of the issues with China are not, or ever will be, WTO issues. Global money and international public companies are often willing participants in what goes on, so it's not taken to court so to speak since they don't formally object. Access to the Chinese market often seems worth it from the companies perspective. I view that as generally short sited. The other perspective from a global company, if they don't, their competitor will. And USA can't do this alone. Too much of the rest of the world will sell out. Much of Asia will partner with us. 

(edited)

3 hours ago, Dmitry Bedin said:

Edited by SKEP
  • Haha 1

(edited)

On 8/25/2019 at 2:42 PM, SKEP said:

On 8/25/2019 at 12:30 PM, Dmitry Bedin said:

Dont forget your medication, Trump lover!

Dmitry 

Ouch.  That one hurt.  Medication and Trump in the same dis. Why are you do mean to me ? 😞

Grow up.

Edited just now by SKEP

Edited by SKEP

(edited)

3 hours ago, SKEP said:

Chinese Communist Party has put illegal tariffs on U.S. oil.  It's perfectly legit if Trump puts a $5 levy, duty, tariff or whatever as the CCP owns Sinopec and CCNOC .  .  .  .  .  which owns 100%  of oil sands companies Nexen and Athabasca. 

Best move would be to stop all their shipments into U.S.. Believe me the other oil producers in Canada would love that capacity on the pipelines and fill it 1 minute.

Think about what China has accomplished over the last 25 years.  They have brought 300 million people into the middle class. 

WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT .  .  .  . THINK ABOUT WHAT THE COMMUNIST PEOPLES LIBERATION ARMY (PLA) MILITARY HAS BUILT WITH STOLEN U.S. TECHNOLOGY AND FINANCED WITH PREDATORY AND UNFAIR TRADE AND INDUSTRIAL PRACTICES.

THINK ABOUT IT.  BUSH, CARTER, OBAMA DID NOTHING. TRUMP (the chosen one, lol) FINALY STOOD UP TO THE CHINESE HEGEMONY.

Do you understand all stolen technology GOES STRAIGHT TO THE PLA, BEFORE INDUSTRY GETS A LOOK AT IT.

THIS ISN'T JUST ABOUT SOYBEANS.  ITS SO MUCH BIGGER

Total disengagement is a real option. I think Trump's Phase II will be bringing the rest of the world on board, or TPP and European countries.

IMHO the Chinese accomplished so much through hard work, saving their money and investing in their children's education.  They also work much faster. During a TED Talk, Graham Allison compared Americans and Chinese repairing a bridge. The American bridge was delayed many times, finally taking 48 months to finish and being 3 times over budget. The Chinese repaired a bigger bridge in 43 hours.

I used to work in a rural pulp and paper mill in the 80's. In its heyday, the factory was a mini welfare state and tolerated many unions whose (IMHO) aim was to maximise employment and limit work. Once the corporate raiders took over, they started outsourcing, downsizing and getting rid of surplus perks such as company housing. 

The unfair Chinese trade and industrial practices: disallowing unions and preventing workers from disrupting production, and providing a large pool of poor rural migrant workers willing to work for much less than Americans. For a developing country, technology transfer is specifically allowed and encouraged by the WTO rules.  And yeah, they did copy foreign IP.

Edited by Hotone
Typo
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SKEP said:

The U.S. should base their policy around your portfolio ?

Ideally! :)

On 8/23/2019 at 10:26 AM, SKEP said:

Better yet I would ban their oil from entering U.S.  The other Oil Sands producers not owned by the Chinese Communist party would surely appreciate the move. Pipeline capacity to U.S. is severely limited , better it goes to friends than an enemy.

It's Canadian oil, well they at least pay royalties here to take it.

Sinpoec is a publicly traded company (NYSE:SNP) not "China." 

If penalty was put place on Canadian oils sands due to China's investment, how about we slap some more regulations on all profits/oil taken out of Canada by US oil companies?  Would that go over well? See how silly this idea rapidly becomes?

56 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Ideally! :)

OK, what are you buying ?

41 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

It's Canadian oil, well they at least pay royalties here to take it.

Sinpoec is a publicly traded company (NYSE:SNP) not "China." 

If penalty was put place on Canadian oils sands due to China's investment, how about we slap some more regulations on all profits/oil taken out of Canada by US oil companies?  Would that go over well? See how silly this idea rapidly becomes?

I think most of the U.S. oil companies have left already. Except Exxon. You want them to leave.  

I know Canadian oil has been thru a lot. So why doesn't Canada complain to China instead of beating up Trump. 

Apple CEO Cook called Trump last week about tariffs.  Talking is good . . .  but if I were Trump I would have asked Apple CEO .  " Before we start , can I ask you if you called Xi Jinping yet ?  No, well why don't you call him first and get back to me". 

13 minutes ago, SKEP said:

OK, what are you buying ?

I don't self manage the majority of my investments.  My banker put a lot in this fund which is 21% US equities (Microsoft, Amazon) so make those go up. lol

https://www.rbcgam.com/en/ca/products/mutual-funds/rbf460/detail

My self directed trading is mostly banks, pot, biotech, mining, O&G.

1 hour ago, SKEP said:

SKEP,

Thanks for that. I would point out that none of the four technologies discussed are 'new' technologies. Each has been used for years now, often onshore first prior to migrating to the more expensive offshore arena.

Likely these technologies have been improved offshore due to more R&D dollars available and any applicable 'upgrade' applied back onshore.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:47 AM, Enthalpic said:

It puts the penalty before the crime. My understanding is the US wants to keep some tariffs in place until compliance is shown.  That is not the way law should work.  I'm going to fine you everyday until you can prove you aren't speeding while you drive...

It was the verification mechanisms that China would not agree to. They have no problem signing any agreement, treaty or accord as long as you can not VERIFY if they are complying or not.

Much like Iran...

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

Canadian companies (regardless of who owns them) mostly employ Canadian workers and pay taxes to Canada.
If these companies are registered/headquartered in Canada, then they are legally Canadian companies.
China's investment into Canada means China is helping Canada, which helps the US too,
because of the oil, and because Canadians buy a lot of US products.

When oil comes through a pipeline, how do you know exactly whose oil it is?
They can lie and say the oil came from some other company to avoid the tariff.
They can setup intermediary shell companies which only exist to change the oil's owner.
They can mix the oil with other oil's. Then, how will tariffs be calculated?
They can say the mixture is 1% "Chinese" oil and 99% Canadian oil.  Who can prove them wrong?
This will lead a tariff war with Canada over something which is difficult to enforce.  Bad idea.

The reason Trump's steel tariffs are very effective is because:
(1) It applies to all countries (either tariff or import quotas).  Shipping the steel through another country won't work.
(2) Steel is hard to smuggle compared to some other things.  It is heavy and solid.
(3) The tariff is 25% which is high enough to have some effect, but low enough so that it's unprofitable
to do extreme types of smuggling.  If the tariff were 50-100%, then instead of paying the tariff,
some people would employ extreme methods to smuggle steel.  The tariff should cost less than the cost of extreme smuggling.

https://i.imgflip.com/uhl68.jpg

So far, Trump has shown he knows when to use tariffs and when not to.
Not everything is possible.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, ceo_energemsier said:

I was wrong, Chinese put a 5% tariff on US crude, but ways to get around and they definitely will.

__________________________________________________________________________________--

China has announced a 5% tariff on imported US crude oil in retaliation for US President Donald Trump’s recent escalation of the countries’ trade war.

Crude oil is on a new list of goods worth about $75 billion subject to tariffs as high as 10%, some taking effect Sept. 1 and others Dec. 15.

Timing of the Chinese tariffs matches that of Trump’s two-phase round announced Aug. 1 on about $300 billion worth of goods. The new US round will make almost all Chinese imports by the US subject to new or increased duties.

In June 2018, China had listed crude among products subject to duties retaliating for an earlier round of US tariffs but replaced it with other goods when the round took effect last August.

China imposed a tariff of 10% on US LNG in September 2018 and increased the rate to 25% in May.

US crude oil exports to China in May averaged 247,000 b/d, according to the US Energy Information Administration.

247,000 barrels a day is a very small amount for China. 5% tariff on that is practically nothing !

On 8/23/2019 at 11:06 PM, Enthalpic said:

Coors light and a hot dog versus a baguette and cheese with fine wine.

I prefer scotch or whiskey. But if I have to pick it would be the hotdog, preferably a brat of some type and a Shiner Bach beer. Coors is just to weak and watery for my taste. Just a difference in taste.

Not a sweet bread person but I do like some wine with a rare ribeye from time to time.

Trump should put 100% tarif on Viagra. So great americans with erectil disfunction will think more by the heads which is avobe the shoulders , not beneath 😂

• Rolling Eye 1