MG

Trump regrets not having added even higher tariffs

8 hours ago, JR EWING said:

According to you! His approval ratings dont put him in a good light.

Considering the NYTimes gave Hillary Clinton an 85% chance of winning the 2016 election, you still believe the biased polls? They got Brexit totally wrong, they also got the last Australian federal election totally wrong too when the conservatives won a supposedly unloseable election according to every poll. There's more examples outside the English speaking world but I think that's enough evidence for you to have to support the reasons why you still honestly believe any polling against Trump considering literally all the media has tried for the past more than 3 years trying to destroy him but failed. What's the definition of insanity again? Yeah you sound insane if you honestly believe any of the mainstream polling at this stage. Just look at Trump's rallies for real world evidence of his popularity. Tens of thousands of people turning out in their own free time to hear him speak. What other politician have they ever done that for in such large numbers? The 2016 debates had massive increases in viewers purely from Trump being in them.

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, JR EWING said:

Yet she won the popular vote without the posters you are saying.

The popular vote means really nothing, it's the electoral college that really makes a candidate the president, and Trump won the electoral. And to be fair, we know the DNC gets votes from dead people, illegal aliens, multiple votes in different zones and such, so I really think if we took a VERY close look at the numbers we could probably eliminate a nice percentage of the votes cast for Hilliary. If you don't understand the electoral college you will rant on about the popular vote forever without understanding WHY the electoral college system was put in place. God knows most of this country doesn't want to be run by the ten largest cities in the US, they wouldn't get any help at all and the laws put in place wouldn't make any sense to most of the locations in the US. Our founding fathers were very shrewd when they set that up, in fact the whole idea was to lessen the power of the mega-cities over the rest of the country and balance out power and legislation over the entirety of the country. But it just sounds like someone is repeating the garbage that has been SPEWED out of every Democrats' mouth since Trump won.....

I can also tell that you are a Hilliary supporter? I will tell you this, manufacturing would be completely gone if she had been elected, the new deal with Europe would have sent all of it overseas and this country would be shutting down right now. No manufacturing means no REAL GDP, and we would be starting to crash right now. Thank the heavens we got someone that understands how important manufacturing is to every country's GDP. Loo at the Germans and the Japanese, they understood.....

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SERWIN said:

I can also tell that you are a Hilliary supporter? I will tell you this, manufacturing would be completely gone if she had been elected, the new deal with Europe would have sent all of it overseas and this country would be shutting down right now. No manufacturing means no REAL GDP, and we would be starting to crash right now. Thank the heavens we got someone that understands how important manufacturing is to every country's GDP. Loo at the Germans and the Japanese, they understood.....

JR EWING lives in the EU.  He stated so in another thread. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

JR EWING lives in the EU.  He stated so in another thread. 

Why is Ewing worried about Hilliary or Trump then? They have their Brexit to worry about....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This all US-China trade war is an interesting topic.

It is relatively safe type of rivalry for both United States and China.

The bigger the country, the less it needs to trade as the domestic market is king.

Of course there is a lot of hype about trade war in the media, 5% of tariffs on 100 billion of stuff today,

20% of tariffs on 200 billion of stuff tomorrow etc. blah,blah, blah,

If it was about tariffs on Japanese, German, British, Korean, Australian, Indian exports/imports it would be important,

as these countries  are all middle-sized economies in the range of 2-5 trillion USD GDP.

For these countries such tariffs would be a disaster, deep recession assured.

But for China (about 13 trillion nominal GDP, 27 trillion PPP GDP ) and US (about 21 trillion nominal GDP)

trade war per se is not that important for their economies, both could survive and prosper relying on domestic consumption.

Yes, in the meantime a few million (out of 200+ million) Chinese employed in industry, especially in manufacturing would be temporarily out

of their jobs, and maybe not all them will be sucked into new 10-15 million of new positions created each and every year in fast developing

Chinese services sector. Short-time head ache but not a serious problem.

On the other side of the fence, yes, 100 thousand - 500 thousand farmers will be in misery in US, but agriculture in total gives employment to less than 2% of Americans, so again who cares at the top.

Look, Trump is not stupid, I am sure that BEFORE he started this tariff show he ordered his staff to check how many electoral votes he could lose because of farmers.

At the same time the tariff show (new Apprentice for the President) gives FED guys a really good external reason, the Chinese reason to cut to the bottom and below, full European style so to speak.

And at the end of the day everybody is happy ( I mean political class, not the people)

Donald Trump has a good topic for the 2020 campaign and for the rest of his presidency.

"China threat" topic is a really good one.

External problem, perfect problem for exceptional American people, as nothing has to be changed inside US,

as the source of everything evil in US is of course China.

Xi Jinping could not be more happy, 3rd, 4th or even 15th term as paramount leader is assured.

Internal reforms were stopped in China, there is even reverse to more party control, party needs to control everything, everywhere, all the time.

Chinese economy is the first victim, growth slows, but again it is not authoritarian, "I love Mao" policy

that f**ked Chinese economy after 2013, American threat is the main culprit.

Blowing the wind of Chinese nationalism is a dangerous but a good distraction for Chinese hungry for their dream

• Rolling Eye 1

On 9/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Verbal food fight, clean up on aisle 3...

While a bit of taking the piss out of each other can be amusing, it's probably best to turn it down a notch or two.

Running with scissors is fine, but please take care not to poke out someone's eye (or cut off any extremities) while running with scissors in said pissing contest.

Meanwhile, over in London, pointy scissors are bad, mkay?  Bad scissors, bad!

This post by Ealing Police is serious.  Really.

8ko654vqyln21.thumb.jpg.231b936b554d6ae7771dc87d9c14f3a8.jpg

Love the comments tho...

20190930_200726.jpg.f0e150ca5c1b7fe84e84f70e6f734fa9.jpg

• Haha 2

You can still kill with a pen. I've seen Heath Ledger as The Joker.

What’s an ‘assault riffle’? Is that a noise you make when assaulting someone? If you have a head cold during said assault could it be termed an ‘assault sniffle’?

Enquiring minds want to know!😂

6 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

What’s an ‘assault riffle’?

I believe it's a rifle with a pointy scissors duct taped to the end of the rifle barrel.  Pretty darn scary.

Trump should sanction India first and severely. Not china or Japan.

Reason

India earns $ billion for Technology contract and in return America get peanuts. Pus world bank, and various American charity donates funds and evne india's largest private bank is run by world bank. i.e. they provide substantial equity.

India' power sector  Power grid ltd and various ifra gets Billions dollars of virtually interest free loans (relative interest prevailing in india marekts)\therefore President Donald Trump msut act/santion india. high tie.

india does "shady deals" with bill gates and pays 'lobby fees' in kind to clintons etc.

that is why india get away. this is unfair and un ethical. 

I know, we've become a meme at this point.

Have pity on those of us that live in this hell hole of a country 😥

cCaLfcO.png

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, DayTrader said:

You can still kill with a pen. I've seen Heath Ledger as The Joker.

Hence you have the real motivation for the push toward digitization... 

2 lb tablet with padded edges... to protect the tablet of course.

America along with the west could not ignore the massive Chinese market and so invested in their cheap educated labor force but the wily Chinese insisted that technology must be shared by these western companies working with Chinese companies. While western companies were preoccupied making a killing in China and believing erroneously that they were exploiting the Chinese market to their advantage, the Chinese in turn were mobilizing with what they have learnt to the benefit of their people and lifting them out of poverty. The west now is crying foul because they were beaten at their own game. China is now sharing its top notch technology with Africa which has one of the youngest and largest populations on the planet and has the potential to become the number one trading partner with China in the not too distant future thus replacing the America and the West as the favored trading partners. This is happening while Trump grumbles. President Trump's latest behavior can be compared to a tied dog barking at flying birds. Oh Well!!!!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gerard Remy said:

America along with the west could not ignore the massive Chinese market and so invested in their cheap educated labor force but the wily Chinese insisted that technology must be shared by these western companies working with Chinese companies. While western companies were preoccupied making a killing in China and believing erroneously that they were exploiting the Chinese market to their advantage, the Chinese in turn were mobilizing with what they have learnt to the benefit of their people and lifting them out of poverty. The west now is crying foul because they were beaten at their own game. China is now sharing its top notch technology with Africa which has one of the youngest and largest populations on the planet and has the potential to become the number one trading partner with China in the not too distant future thus replacing the America and the West as the favored trading partners. This is happening while Trump grumbles. President Trump's latest behavior can be compared to a tied dog barking at flying birds. Oh Well!!!!!!

Parts of Africa now have better roads, trains than USA.  They definitely have better internet coverage:

https://youtu.be/rlK7hYmaaXE

On 9/30/2019 at 2:20 PM, DayTrader said:

You can still kill with a pen. I've seen Heath Ledger as The Joker

True story

President Trump is the ONLY president that has done anything about China stealing intellectual property. You say he sits there and "grumbles"? What do you expect him to do if not use economic leverage and sanctions? It wasn't Trump that started a free trade agreement with China. He is here trying to fix it.

Does everyone agree with the effectiveness of the sanctions? No.

Has anyone come up with a better idea on addressing the trade issues with china? Again, no.

So is President Trump doing the best he can in the situation he was handed? I believe he is, opinions may vary.

Most importantly. The "game" with china is far from over. Let's hope that if its President Trump or someone else elected next, they have the backbone to win the "game". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PE Scott said:

Most importantly. The "game" with china is far from over. Let's hope that if its President Trump or someone else elected next, they have the backbone to win the "game". 

This is a long game, far longer than Trump, and even the next two presidents after. You don't "win" this. We must act in a way the best meets our interests. The rules are dynamic. Today's tactic could be absolutely wrong tomorrow. In fact, I can almost guarantee doing the same thing will become wrong. Never forget they aren't are friends. Take care of ourselves and our interests. Unfortunately defining our interests is very difficult. Who's interest, labor, eduction, big business, other countries? It's more likely to be ourselves in the form in international business selling out than our executive branch selling out. Money knows very little loyalty. But money sure as hell buys messaging.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/1/2019 at 12:30 AM, JR EWING said:

Then he will be gone soon. If you are right. America will be done, as we have known it. We will become just another country subject to globalist rule. The wealthy elites will rule and we will all be subject to their whims. Some think that is true now, and to some extent it is and always has been. They have no idea what they would be in for. I pray and work for the reelection of President Donald J. Trump, and then two terms for Vice President Michael Pence. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

The wealthy globalist elites are already ruling the country. 

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Upvote 2

On 10/2/2019 at 12:45 AM, Hotone said:

Parts of Africa now have better roads, trains than USA.  They definitely have better internet coverage:

https://youtu.be/rlK7hYmaaXE

Have you actually seen the bridges, roads, railways, etc.... that China has been so ‘freely’ building in Africa? I have and they are crap!

A third party inspection service went to Angola several years ago and determined that the infrastructure provided by China had a five year lifespan!

What is the ‘state of the art’ Chinese technology? Most of what they tout was stolen...then they could not improve on it!

They have never been able to build a workable catapult system for their carriers, the can still not build a reliable jet engine capable of ‘super cruise’ or a transmission jack where the wheels don’t fall off after one use (personal experience).

• Upvote 4

On 10/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, Zhong Lu said:

The wealthy globalist elites are already ruling the country. 

Is this better or worse than having one of those folks living under the overpass, cleaning your windshield for handouts, running the country?

Question: Can someone provide a definition of an ‘elite’ as used in the context of Lu’s post?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Question: Can someone provide a definition of an ‘elite’ as used in the context of Lu’s post?

Douglas, perhaps the easiest definition would be to use "anyone who has attended the Davos Economic Forum" as definition.  

But let's get back to the original thread premise:  does (or did)  Trump regret  not putting higher tariffs on Chinese-manufactured imports into the USA?  I think that this is  mixed bag.  Had he started off with dramatic import duties, then there would have been this massive shock to the US supply chain, as so many key components of so many products are built in China.  One purpose of the Tariffs is to encourage the substitution of US-made goods for Chinese-made goods.  Price is not the only criterion; continuity is supply is yet another.   Once US manufacturers re on-stream with those components as alternate sources, you will find the reliance on Chinese goods to drop off. That being the goal, the pattern of continuing tariff rte increases will push purchasers to go source their components inside the US and possibly Canada.

Tariffs are not merely economic issues; they are also psychological weapons.   Trump has, quite skillfully, used tariffs to achieve a goal that previous Administrations were either incapable of achieving, or incompetent to achieve.   You don't have to like the guy; indeed, you can actively dislike the guy, and still acknowledge the raw truth of this.  As  Herr Oberst Kurt Steiner would say, "Difficult decisions are the privilege of rank."  CMOP can take note.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/1/2019 at 12:30 AM, JR EWING said:

I drove truck cross country all during the election campaign and I can tell you this. The support for Trump was evident everywhere I went. Even in Chicago I was seeing Trump signs everywhere I went, but every once in a while I would see a Hilliary sign up. The polls were wrong I tell you!! And if you get your info from the large inner cities only then of course they are going to swing to the Demorats, not the Republicans. Those people are so ignorant, the lives they lead are so pathetic, the educational systems are broken down and useless. They just don't understand what they are voting for. Where I live part of the city is under SJL, and she hasn't done ANYTHING for them, crumbling roads, water you can't drink without having a commercial filter, basically a slum. Now developers are coming in, buying up properties and building condos, chasing the residents out with higher property taxes and such, so there is a private initiative to "save 5th ward".... But she is pretty wealthy now....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1