rainman

Selected Society: The 25 Wealthiest Dynasties On The Planet Control $1.4 trillion

4 hours ago, NickW said:

How about legalise all drugs, license the sale and tax in the same way duty is put on alcohol or tobacco?

Unfortunately, those products are heavily taxed already.  Using that model for narcotics will continue to invite criminals in to distribute, as they are invited today.  So that is a no-go.  Ultimately, to have the benefit of the disappearance of property crimes, you would have to distribute the stuff for free.  Start charging, and you get both purchase from criminal underworld types, and the crime to develop the funds for the transactions.  

(edited)

28 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Unfortunately, those products are heavily taxed already.  Using that model for narcotics will continue to invite criminals in to distribute, as they are invited today.  So that is a no-go.  Ultimately, to have the benefit of the disappearance of property crimes, you would have to distribute the stuff for free.  Start charging, and you get both purchase from criminal underworld types, and the crime to develop the funds for the transactions.  

How are narcotics taxed? 

Do the cartels pay VAT / Corporation tax on their sales & profits.

I have explained how legalisation reduces the issues associated with crime. 

• This virtually eliminates the  involvement of criminal gangs.
  • Massively reduces the crime associated with earning the funds to pay for the drug
  • Decriminalises usage which makes prevention and treatment much easier
  • The above is easily funded by duties placed on the drugs so no burden on the tax payer
  • Restrictions on use of drugs while driving / in certain occupations easy to enforce as it is now.
  • If you don't want to go the whole hog in one go start bylegalising class B drugs - Cannabis and  Ecstasy which is much less harmful than alcohol

Edited by NickW

24 minutes ago, NickW said:

How are narcotics taxed? 

Do the cartels pay VAT / Corporation tax on their sales & profits.

I have explained how legalisation reduces the issues associated with crime. 

• This virtually eliminates the  involvement of criminal gangs.
  • Massively reduces the crime associated with earning the funds to pay for the drug
  • Decriminalises usage which makes prevention and treatment much easier
  • The above is easily funded by duties placed on the drugs so no burden on the tax payer
  • Restrictions on use of drugs while driving / in certain occupations easy to enforce as it is now.
  • If you don't want to go the whole hog in one go start bylegalising class B drugs - Cannabis and  Ecstasy which is much less harmful than alcohol

I live in a state which has legalized cannabis. Several years in, it appears to have destroyed the illicit trade in cannabis, here at least. There's a funny story of a 70+ traveling salesman who kept going on trips to the neighboring state so naturally they assumed he was a mule taking cannibis from where it's legal to where it's not. He was innocent, but I'm still curious if the movie (which I never saw) starring Clint Eastwood was meant to be related. However from the trailers it appears Clint was guilty as sin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

I would immediately mention that this is NOT my "plan," it emanates from William F. Buckley, Jr., an pre-eminent thinker of the American Conservative movement.   I do think it has merit, but I deny authorship of it.  

Sorry Jan but I'm giving you the credit now. William Buckley Jr. is dead so you get the crown. ;) 

• Haha 1