Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

Only 8,000 Indians Want Electric Cars

"The Kona sells for about $35,000 while the average Indian earns about $2,000 a year -- and the best-selling gas guzzler costs $4,000. Yet Kona’s sticker price only kicks off the conversation about why EVs aren’t gaining traction in India -- there’s also a lack of charging infrastructure, a reluctance by banks to finance purchases and an unwillingness among government departments to use EVs as directed."

Hmm, I wonder why EVs are not selling there? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

The Headline should be: India: Only 10% are drivers, Average Indian barely uses enough electricity for a dozen light bulbs per family, Sewage systems are non existent for large portions of society due to age old Hindu class system and India is dumping as much money as possible into Hydroelectric dams and Coal fired power plants. 

India does not give a damn other than Cost/performance.  Airbags etc? Throw them out.  A motorbike is a good start. 

EDIT: and India hopes and prays their Thorium reactor works.

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Like 1

Electric transportation might become mainstream when/if it every makes sense to purchase one. Today IMO most are just pretty toys purchased by the cool kids and the want to be cool kids.

I have a friend that lives near Austin that owns one of the really nice Tesla cars. It is a blast to drive but makes no common sense to purchase at all. He admits it is an expensive toy. Cost way too much, pain in the ass to plan any type of trip and always worried about leaving it parked in a public parking area. Dirt ranch road? Not a chance in hell that car will ever visit my house. When he comes to visit he brings his SUV.

Dont get me wrong. I like toys and have been know to waste money on all sorts of toys that make no sense what so ever. But the majority of people don’t have the financial means to purchase these expensive toys today. 

In the future electric cars may make sense. Then they might be adopted by the masses. Time will tell.

• Great Response! 1