Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ban Air Miles And Stop Frequent Flyers To Combat Climate Change

(edited)

Air miles should be banned because they encourage excessive flying, according to a report commissioned by the government’s climate change advisers. Frequent flyers should be hit by an “escalating air miles levy” to put them off flying too much, rather than encouraged by reward schemes, the report says.  AS FAR AS I'M AWARE, PEOPLE DON'T TAKE FLIGHTS JUST FOR A LAUGH. CERTAINLY NOT WITHIN THE UK, YOU CAN DRIVE IT IN AROUND THE SAME TIME UNLESS SOUTHERN ENGLAND TO SCOTLAND.

The suggestions are aimed at the 15 per cent of the UK population estimated to be responsible for 70 per cent of flights, many of whom take additional flights to “maintain their privileged traveller status” ANY PROOF OF THAT ?  The report by Imperial College London, commissioned by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC), also suggests flights should advertise their emissions in a simple way easily understood by customers. The report, Behaviour Change, Public Engagement and Net Zero, was authored by Dr Richard Carmichael. It said that “high impact shifts in consumer behaviours” were needed for the UK to reach its goal of net-zero emissions by 2050, rather than the “small and easy changes” suggested to UK households in the past.   NOW MAYBE YOU GUYS KNOW WHY I'M ALWAYS COMMENTING ON OTHER COUNTRIES DOING THEIR BIT ...

It added policy changes were required which were “consistent with the scale of the climate challenge, build optimism and commitment, and give weight to new ambitious narratives that inspire wide public participation”. The report also included wider recommendations on sustainable living, including weekly collections of food waste and changes to diet, particularly eating less meat and switching to largely plant-based diets. It also suggested mandatory labels on food products to show the environmental impact of producing the item.  BEEN VEGETARIAN FOR 20 YEARS.  I WONDER HOW MANY WHO WROTE REPORT ARE VEGGIE ?  LIKE THE EXTINCTION REBELLION GUYS AT MCDONALDS ... 

Other domestic travel recommendations include slashing prices on intercity rail services to reduce demand for cars and planes, and reopening disused rail lines. The UK is the world’s first major economy to legally commit to becoming carbon neutral by 2050 after the ambitious target was recommended by the CCC.   HMM ... 

I'm still not a journalist but should be.
Edited by Guest

Yep, and this is UK where we seem to be doing / promising more than anyone.

Makes it all worthwhile when others are pumping crap up all day everyday. 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:18 AM, DayTrader said:

Air miles should be banned because they encourage excessive flying, according to a report commissioned by the government’s climate change advisers. Frequent flyers should be hit by an “escalating air miles levy” to put them off flying too much, rather than encouraged by reward schemes, the report says.  AS FAR AS I'M AWARE, PEOPLE DON'T TAKE FLIGHTS JUST FOR A LAUGH. CERTAINLY NOT WITHIN THE UK, YOU CAN DRIVE IT IN AROUND THE SAME TIME UNLESS SOUTHERN ENGLAND TO SCOTLAND.

The suggestions are aimed at the 15 per cent of the UK population estimated to be responsible for 70 per cent of flights, many of whom take additional flights to “maintain their privileged traveller status” ANY PROOF OF THAT ?  The report by Imperial College London, commissioned by the Committee on Climate Change (CCC), also suggests flights should advertise their emissions in a simple way easily understood by customers. The report, Behaviour Change, Public Engagement and Net Zero, was authored by Dr Richard Carmichael. It said that “high impact shifts in consumer behaviours” were needed for the UK to reach its goal of net-zero emissions by 2050, rather than the “small and easy changes” suggested to UK households in the past.   NOW MAYBE YOU GUYS KNOW WHY I'M ALWAYS COMMENTING ON OTHER COUNTRIES DOING THEIR BIT ...

It added policy changes were required which were “consistent with the scale of the climate challenge, build optimism and commitment, and give weight to new ambitious narratives that inspire wide public participation”. The report also included wider recommendations on sustainable living, including weekly collections of food waste and changes to diet, particularly eating less meat and switching to largely plant-based diets. It also suggested mandatory labels on food products to show the environmental impact of producing the item.  BEEN VEGETARIAN FOR 20 YEARS.  I WONDER HOW MANY WHO WROTE REPORT ARE VEGGIE ?  LIKE THE EXTINCTION REBELLION GUYS AT MCDONALDS ... 

Other domestic travel recommendations include slashing prices on intercity rail services to reduce demand for cars and planes, and reopening disused rail lines. The UK is the world’s first major economy to legally commit to becoming carbon neutral by 2050 after the ambitious target was recommended by the CCC.   HMM ... 

I'm still not a journalist but should be.

The proof or evidence to support this will be detailed in the study - not in the actual newspaper report. 

On 10/14/2019 at 2:19 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

The madness continues...

Why - its simply a suggestion. There is no actual coercion suggested to force airlines to do this.

32 minutes ago, NickW said:

The proof or evidence to support this will be detailed in the study

Fair enough. Maybe this report will detail what other countries are doing? Just bored of reading about what UK is doing, when you consider the last line of the article. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:19 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

The madness continues...

Not everyone wants to go extinct. You should empathize with the younger generation - you had your fun, so, who cares, climate change? Bring it. But they want to perhaps on a planet that does not resemble a junkyard in June most of the time. 

Then protest in EVERY continent, not just the ones you're comfy in. Maybe the ones that do the most damage? I've not seen footage of protests in places where you can't see infront of your face. Say India and China, where like 40% of the planet lives? 

Share cars? Go vegan? Go Amish? No CFCs? No planes? Only local food? No plastics? I could name 100 things and the people protesting probably don't even do 10% of them. But some go to McDonald's for lunch. One of the scummiest companies on the planet. 

20 years ago it was always called global warming. Now it's called climate change as they don't even know which way it's going. But we are always doomed. I've nothing against protesting for what you believe in but when the worst culprits are never mentioned it seems a bit of a pointless exercise. 

And the article is about a small percentage of UK flyers. I'm English and it seems we are doing or proposing more than anyone so I get bored of hearing about what more we must do, while countries are pumping shit into the air almost all day everyday.