RJ

Diplomatic immunity

(edited)

27 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Exactly Rob, that's what the whole story is, the fact she did NOT but just left. 

Sorry, DT not the case.  As the wife of a diplomat she indeed does have D.I.  And despite the outraged bleatings here about " manslaughter," so far it is no more than a nasty traffic accident, grotesque to be sure, but still without any criminal or malicious intent.  She pulled out of the base and started down the (habitual) right side.  I have done that also, pulling onto a dual carriageway in the wrong direction.  My passenger screamed out, and I immediately pulled to the shoulder, facing oncoming traffic.  Then I reversed on the shoulder and drove it back to the intersection, where I could sort it out.  Hey, it happens to Americans who do not remember that the Brits do it different.  Still, for the wife, an accident.

Without wanting to cast blame on the dead, remember that a motorcycle is highly maneuverable.  One driven at that legal speed, 40 km, would have been able to turn onto the shoulder or into the field to avoid a head-on.  Or swerve over to the other side.  There are options when you face a head-on, if you are at a speed appropriate for the roadway. You cannot assume anything when on a bike.  Who knows what lies ahead?  Cow on the road? Hey, things happen.  

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Ok let's assume she does but it can be waivered from what I'm seeing especially from UK news article. I'm not saying manslaughter, it's an accident, but that makes it even odder to me that UK and US seem so chilled about sorting it. Our Home Sec doesn't consider it over and I'm not sure of the US latest reaction to be fair.

Cow or no cow. 

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Without wanting to cast blame on the dead, remember that a motorcycle is highly maneuverable.  One driven at that legal speed, 40 km, would have been able to turn onto the shoulder or into the field to avoid a head-on.  Or swerve over to the other side.  There are options when you face a head-on, if you are at a speed appropriate for the roadway. You cannot assume anything when on a bike.  Who knows what lies ahead?  Cow on the road? Hey, things happen.  

Jan you cannot make assumptions on the "accident". For all we know this happened immediately after she pulled onto the road and therefore directly in front of the deceased giving him no chance to swerve.

As I have said before the whole thing stinks of a stitch up, DI or not!

I agree with DT that Trump's message of hey shit happens is far from helpful at best.

Sacoolas if she has any morals should come back to face the music. The family have said they don't want her imprisoned as she has children, but want to understand what happened to their son.Surely that's the very least they deserve in all of this.

Lets hope she does the right thing, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

One driven at that legal speed, 40 km,

The speed limit outside the barracks is 40MPH or 64KMH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-Jqn6-5eY

watch this from 1:09 and tell me that Trump did not make it worse. Diplomatic protocol is one thing. But the president of the US of A speaking like this about a tragedy. Sorry, but there is no excuse. 

as @Douglas Buckland noted this should have ended at the secretary of state. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Jan you cannot make assumptions on the "accident". For all we know this happened immediately after she pulled onto the road and therefore directly in front of the deceased giving him no chance to swerve.

I prefer not to make assumptions.  The news reports stated that she (the driver of the auto) had left the base and turned onto the roadway and had travelled a "short distance" before the head-on.  That would imply at most 200 yards  ("short distance").  How quickly she got up to speed is uncertain; at that point the guessing would start.  When I think back to my motorcycle days, all the guys would let it rip, open up the throttle.  I did not do that, always maintained speed to be able to stop within the sightline, but lots of guys wouldn't.  SO, how it played out in the seconds before the collision remains unknown.  What we do know is that it was a nasty wreck and an obviously insufficient time interval for reaction to the obstacle, for both.   That implies speed excessive for conditions.  

I think I'm going to partly agree with just about everyone here 😵

1. The diplomatic status is just the way it is
  2. It's a terrible accident and a shame she didn't maybe try to do the right thing...most likely was advised to leave imho
  3. Trump did put his foot in it a bit

I think our Trump hating media is fueling the flames but it could have been dealt with better.

Having said that we are talking about the wife of an intelligence officer...no way can she see the inside of a UK jail just in the same way Prince Phillip wasn't going to after his crash.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

I prefer not to make assumptions. 

You did incorrectly on the speed limit!

10 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The news reports stated that she (the driver of the auto) had left the base and turned onto the roadway and had travelled a "short distance" before the head-on.  That would imply at most 200 yards  ("short distance").

Again an assumption

I guess we need to wait for the police report to determine the facts.

Your insinuation that Dunn was speeding which might give some mitigating circumstances to Sacoolas may be correct (or may not) but the speed limit had recently been reduced from 60MPH to 40MPH so there may be some truth in this.

I guess we arent going to agree on this topic so might as well refrain from debating the subject any further.

I at least hope you would agree from a moral standpoint that Sacoolas's actions leave a lot to be desired, if it were your son I'm sure you would be mightily pissed off!

• Upvote 1

Are these details not already out? The incident itself with detail. Was a while ago.

not seen any mention of them anywhere, but could be wrong.

I wouldnt be surprised if both Dunn and Sacoolas swerved to avoid each other but as it would be a 50:50 which way to swerve, i guess they swerved into each other, but just a guess from me.

Yeah its catching!😂

he's a smart guy and I agree with most of his posts on here and learn a lot from most of them too ☺️

The link doesn' give details on the actual accident though ie what speed both were travelling at, what proximity to the barracks entrance etc

I haven't seen any details of this anywhere which is unusual as you say its been a few weeks now so these details must be known based on marks on the road, damage to both vehicles etc.

Cover up?

hahah yep, Roswell will be next, and Trump

no but thought the flowers on what looked like a bend in road was interesting 

sorry missed that bit, yeah might explain why there was limited time to swerve out of the way

Our roads are a tad narrower than those in N.America!

strong evidence to convict, yet the perpetrator is freed. meanwhile, the UK keeps in maximum, solitary confinement, without a charge, for committing no crime.  Assange is a political prisoner. and you all have the gall to criticise other countries for their legal systems?  

• Great Response! 1

13 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

the UK keeps in maximum, solitary confinement, without a charge, for committing no crime. 

How many have China got locked away (or murdered)?

• Haha 1

what happens at 1000?

This- Wooohooo @DayTrader im with you now, my you did it quick

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 14.55.16.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Well I'm hired to get traffic apparently, I have double the posts you do, sort it out. 

Plus I'm a legend. 

Edited by Guest