Tom Kirkman

Is Eating Meat Worse Than Burning Oil?

8 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

I've got a 7 month old cocker spaniel, she's crazy and eats everything and anything but is incredibly cute and loving at the same time.

Cockers are great. They are the first dogs I got to know as a child. 

• Like 2

(edited)

As a rancher who's interested in regenerative agriculture techniques, I decided to read a book called "Dirt to Soil" by Gabe Brown.

The book has some pretty damning evidence against the anti cow movement because it outlines the fact that grazing animals are critical for the health of grasslands. Through their grazing and input of fecal matter, they stimulate plant growth which in turn takes in more greenhouse gasses than the cows themselves emit. The whole thing about cows being positive emitters is a joke, and should only be discussed when talking about situations of severe confinement. Even cows that aren't allowed to graze need to be fed, which stimulates demand for feed. Feed, of course, is trapped C02 in the form of alfalfa, forage grasses, grains, etc. 

Vegetarians and vegans don't understand this concept at all, and their protest against cows will do more harm to the environment than they realize. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

@James Regan isn't that song about his dog? 

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

@James Regan isn't that song about his dog? 

Yes his Blue Eyed Merle- Strider

Name the bike and I will be impressed its not an AJS as most people think.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 16.56.28.png

• Like 1

Not a clue

4 hours ago, James Regan said:

Yes his Blue Eyed Merle- Strider

Name the bike and I will be impressed its not an AJS as most people think.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 16.56.28.png

Great photo!

8 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

As a rancher who's interested in regenerative agriculture techniques, I decided to read a book called "Dirt to Soil" by Gabe Brown.

The book has some pretty damning evidence against the anti cow movement because it outlines the fact that grazing animals are critical for the health of grasslands. Through their grazing and input of fecal matter, they stimulate plant growth which in turn takes in more greenhouse gasses than the cows themselves emit. The whole thing about cows being positive emitters is a joke, and should only be discussed when talking about situations of severe confinement. Even cows that aren't allowed to graze need to be fed, which stimulates demand for feed. Feed, of course, is trapped C02 in the form of alfalfa, forage grasses, grains, etc. 

Good points.

13 hours ago, James Regan said:

Ive seen photos of you, you need to cut down 😂

Says the guy who can’t stay on his motorcycle....

• Rolling Eye 1

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Great photo!

Can’t zoom the photo on the phone. Looks like an old Enfield or BSA....guessing BSA

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

How did you wankers get from suffocating on exhaled CO2 to dogs to fags behind the bar to bellends?

Logical progressions.

IMG-20191025-WA0007.jpg.33c4053b0322076e3280b6ac0924d24e.jpg

• Haha 2

Duh...

Obviously the pound of asphalt would cost the cube root of the sum of both sheep's weight multiplied by the amount of CO2 generated by said cow, in it’s 10 years, expressed in long tons.

This will yield the cost in South African Rand.

Honestly Tom, I assumed that you were the product of a classical education...this is obvious by inspection!😂

• Haha 2

Every thing changes nothing stays the same.  Global drought is coming . All the trees cut down . Concert and asphalt cover the earth . Houses streets buildings are minny heated all Around the world. But don't worry be prepared believe in your God the next life will be better got us f all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossroads said:

Concert and asphalt cover the earth

Concert?

22 hours ago, James Regan said:

Ive seen photos of you, you need to cut down 😂

9 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

m6xqet6yjsu31.thumb.png.ffd361d43fa71821cf6173702ac2bf36.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Crossroads said:

Every thing changes nothing stays the same.  Global drought is coming . All the trees cut down . Concert and asphalt cover the earth . Houses streets buildings are minny heated all Around the world. But don't worry be prepared believe in your God the next life will be better got us f all. 

You’re out there man, WAY out there!

• Haha 1

this place gets weirder everyday I swear 

13 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Can’t zoom the photo on the phone. Looks like an old Enfield or BSA....guessing BSA

Not far off, they were all made in the same place, its a Phelon & More not sure of the year probably 1918 500cc

Phelon and Moore changed to Panther later on, rare bikes and quite beefy for the epoch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phelon_%26_Moore

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 13.31.59.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Your is a bit hard to fall of, its a sofa on wheels 😂

22 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

Through their grazing and input of fecal matter, they stimulate plant growth.

I remember when this place was mostly about oil.

And yes, I'm a meat eater, beef, even veal, the pig, birds, fish, etc., humans are omnivores and to think else is a bit silly. Many Americans have a crap diet, but it's not the fact they eat beef or not, it's just too heavy on heavily processed foods and the amount of folks I know who just don't do vegetables is crazy. If you are eating out of vending machines regularly, I think it's insane. You are probably better off with a plant exclusive diet as opposed to a meat only only, but either is odd to our biology. 

Absolutely animal fecal matter helps soil growth. So does crop rotations, and diversity. The modern agri-business, monoculture is harsh on the environment. CAFOs (concentrated animal food operations) are horrible for the soil. Rough on animals themselves, surviving the CAFO process through antibiotics, hormones, and slaughtering since the animals couldn't survive a normal lifespan, and in fairness, they only exist for eating. The corn industry, that kind of maze isn't fit to eat. It's good for the ethanol fuel business (which we read about there, pros and mostly cons), hi-fructose corn syrup, and indirectly subsidizing meat industries. The huge surge in nitrate fertilizers was a post WW-2 thing, was partly a "what do we do with all this" that was built up for munitions. And it changed modern agri-biz. A Nixon man for the Department of Agriculture, Earl Butz was I think completely sincere but had know idea of the path he put the US food industry on.

I my family's case the farm was (is, but now leased out) big enough for sustainability. Pasture, growing cows for revenue (originally dairy, later shifting to beef), mainly growing the feed crops. By the late 60s it was clear that kind of traditional farming was the path to subsistence living. Yes, you still grew a garden because it tasted better, and heritage, but even farmers go to the grocery for food, and you focus on one thing for money. Instead or working with nature, you mostly fight the hell out of it. And it's mostly worked quite well, food is a smaller part of the average Americans budget than years ago. And there is an increasing niche market for more traditionally grown foods. But the long term effects on nutrition, the land, etc., especially in what you see in almond farms in California, alfalfa in the desert, devastating biodiversity, we don't know, but it's unlikely to be good.  

We have achieved in the USA rampant obesity and malnutrition at the same time. How odd. I am not looking for big brother to intervene, odds are that would make it worse. People have the right to make bad decisions, and a poor diet is a bit like smoking, it takes a long time to do it's damage. The market, food and financial, will probably manage it better. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, John Foote said:

I remember when this place was mostly about oil.

And yes, I'm a meat eater, beef, even veal, the pig, birds, fish, etc., humans are omnivores and to think else is a bit silly. Many Americans have a crap diet, but it's not the fact they eat beef or not, it's just too heavy on heavily processed foods and the amount of folks I know who just don't do vegetables is crazy. If you are eating out of vending machines regularly, I think it's insane. You are probably better off with a plant exclusive diet as opposed to a meat only only, but either is odd to our biology. 

Absolutely animal fecal matter helps soil growth. So does crop rotations, and diversity. The modern agri-business, monoculture is harsh on the environment. CAFOs (concentrated animal food operations) are horrible for the soil. Rough on animals themselves, surviving the CAFO process through antibiotics, hormones, and slaughtering since the animals couldn't survive a normal lifespan, and in fairness, they only exist for eating. The corn industry, that kind of maze isn't fit to eat. It's good for the ethanol fuel business (which we read about there, pros and mostly cons), hi-fructose corn syrup, and indirectly subsidizing meat industries. The huge surge in nitrate fertilizers was a post WW-2 thing, was partly a "what do we do with all this" that was built up for munitions. And it changed modern agri-biz. A Nixon man for the Department of Agriculture, Earl Butz was I think completely sincere but had know idea of the path he put the US food industry on.

I my family's case the farm was (is, but now leased out) big enough for sustainability. Pasture, growing cows for revenue (originally dairy, later shifting to beef), mainly growing the feed crops. By the late 60s it was clear that kind of traditional farming was the path to subsistence living. Yes, you still grew a garden because it tasted better, and heritage, but even farmers go to the grocery for food, and you focus on one thing for money. Instead or working with nature, you mostly fight the hell out of it. And it's mostly worked quite well, food is a smaller part of the average Americans budget than years ago. And there is an increasing niche market for more traditionally grown foods. But the long term effects on nutrition, the land, etc., especially in what you see in almond farms in California, alfalfa in the desert, devastating biodiversity, we don't know, but it's unlikely to be good.  

We have achieved in the USA rampant obesity and malnutrition at the same time. How odd. I am not looking for big brother to intervene, odds are that would make it worse. People have the right to make bad decisions, and a poor diet is a bit like smoking, it takes a long time to do it's damage. The market, food and financial, will probably manage it better. 

Just about everything is home grown sustainable and organic gardening/farming, wild caught, wild and free ranging.. so I love my meat and love my veggies

11109446_941288385933996_3906916796691566062_n.jpg

11207289_940165986046236_3738320623528626809_n.jpg

20190606223724.jpg

20190606230054.jpg

20190606230538.jpg

20190606230857.jpg

20190606231731.jpg

20190606231758.jpg

20190606231811.jpg

20190606231853.jpg

20190606231921.jpg

20190606231933.jpg

20190606231948.jpg

20190606232021.jpg

MaxthonSnap20181203015653.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190116230206.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190131141641.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190610151011.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190610153132.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190610154630.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190613112056.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190624192307.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190627012317.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190627082539.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190715011029.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190725120206.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190728122224.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190728122435.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190728122531.jpg

MaxthonSnap20190728124135.jpg

zwagyu1.jpg

zzzfilet3.jpg

zzzgrillmixed.jpg

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, KeyboardWarrior said:

Vegetarians and vegans don't understand this concept at all, and their protest against cows will do more harm to the environment than they realize. 

Cows must be moved often, otherwise they destroy.  Especially on poor sites.  One reason Buffalo are great.  They move by themselves unlike cows and Buffalo WALLOW unlike cows which creates ponds everywhere when it rains.  Buffalo also withstand much more severe weather.  Buffalo leather is also superior. 

The only problem, % meat/cow/time.  Cow is ~75--80% meat and Buffalo with its much larger bones and corresponding slower growth rate is only approx 50%, but the leather is superior.

For above reasons it seems rather obvious when the industry is breeding cross breeds trying to get the best from both.  Who knows when they will succeed.

PS: IT was cow diseases brought to New world by ranchers in Texas which killed off the millions upon millions of buffalo in North America with ~90% death rate, not hunters.  There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time. 

PPS: Have ranching family in Wyoming.  So, if I stated anything wrong, I will pass the buck and say my family set me up.  😜

• Like 1

6 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Cows must be moved often, otherwise they destroy.  Especially on poor sites.  One reason Buffalo are great.  They move by themselves unlike cows and Buffalo WALLOW unlike cows which creates ponds everywhere when it rains.  Buffalo also withstand much more severe weather.  Buffalo leather is also superior. 

The only problem, % meat/cow/time.  Cow is ~75--80% meat and Buffalo with its much larger bones and corresponding slower growth rate is only approx 50%, but the leather is superior.

For above reasons it seems rather obvious when the industry is breeding cross breeds trying to get the best from both.  Who knows when they will succeed.

PS: IT was cow diseases brought to New world by ranchers in Texas which killed off the millions upon millions of buffalo in North America with ~90% death rate, not hunters.  There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time. 

PPS: Have ranching family in Wyoming.  So, if I stated anything wrong, I will pass the buck and say my family set me up.  😜

The best burgers I have had were buffalo burgers.

(edited)

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

The best burgers I have had were buffalo burgers.

Grass fed beef (organic), buffalo (bison as well as water buffalo) and the best I have had is Wagyu, nothing beats that, I just mainly eat wagyu , the flavour  is incredible and amazing and so tender .....

zwagyu2.jpg

zwagyu3.jpg

zwagyue.JPG

Edited by ceo_energemsier
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, James Regan said:

Your is a bit hard to fall of, its a sofa on wheels 😂

Jealousy will get you nowhere...🤨

• Haha 1