cv

Oil & Gas Automation: Robotics: The next phase has been announced of a world-first project to see autonomous robots working on offshore oil and gas installations.

The next phase has been announced of a world-first project to see autonomous robots working on offshore oil and gas installations.

The landmark development is being supported by the Oil and Gas Technology Centre (OGTC) in Aberdeen and Total, with trials of the first generation of the robot at the operator’s Shetland gas plant and Alwyn platform in the North Sea last year.

Energy giant Equinor has now joined Total in pledging further field tests of the second generation which will be the world’s first Offshore Work Class Robot (OWCR).

While the original developed by Austrian tech firm Taurob, is designed for visual inspections, the new model will have a stronger chassis and a heavy-duty arm capable of tasks like lifting objects and turning valves in dangerous environments.

The aim is to reduce workers’ exposure to high-risk situations offshore and allow them to focus on more complex tasks that robots cannot perform.

Along with Equinor’s commitment, Total subsidiary Saft will produce a first-of-its kind lithium-ion battery to allow the machine to operate in severe environmental conditions, with a temperature range of -30°C to +60°C.

It will be able to run for a year without maintenance.

Jean-Michel Munoz, R&D next generation facilities project manager for the Deep Offshore Program at Total, said:  “Exploration and production operations are conducted in increasingly harsh and challenging conditions, including extreme cold, arid climates and isolated locations.

“This project is key to Total’s forward-thinking approach, making operations safer by reducing the exposure of personnel to potentially high-risk situations and the immense challenges our teams face – paving the way for tomorrow’s simpler, streamlined and less expensive facilities that will require less annual maintenance.”

The original was unveiled at Offshore Europe in Aberdeen last month.

Meanwhile the second generation announcement comes as the Taurob team prepares to exhibit at the ‘SPRINT World Conference for Inspection and Maintenance Robotics’, in Rotterdam this week.

Joining the project team, Stine Vatneberg, leader of automation technology for R&D within Equinor added: “Equinor recently awarded the first contract on use of wireless, autonomous underwater drones in the oil and gas industry. We look forward to test and deploy the world’s first autonomous grounded robot in collaboration with key partners.

“Maximising the robot’s operational time in an ATEX (explosive atmosphere) environment requires a high capacity battery with the ability to fast charge.

“The project scope will break new ground by introducing a fully ATEX-certified lithium-ion battery, increasing operational usefulness, extend performance and will unlock many new applications.”

Total’s robot trial is world first

image.png.80b8112a6f5617dcbbe3cd8d669a54bd.png

A revolutionary project which will see the world’s first autonomous robot working on an oil rig has been unveiled.

Total is developing the scheme alongside the Oil and Gas Technology Centre (OGTC).

The robot will eventually be trialled on Total’s Shetland Gas Plant and Alwyn platform, 270 miles north-east of Aberdeen. The trial will be carried out within 18 months.

OGTC says the initiative could start a “revolution in robotics”.

It is being developed with Austria’s Taurob and Darmstadt Technical University, which won Total’s Autonomous Robots for Gas and Oil Sites (Argos) challenge last year.

They developed a robot that could perform routine tasks in a simulated oil and gas environment.

OGTC says the machine can perform visual inspections and read dials, level gauges and valve positions.

It can also negotiate narrow pathways and stairs.

Dave Mackinnon, head of technology and innovation at Total E&P UK, said: “We believe robots have the potential to play an important role on offshore platforms.

“We are on the cusp of delivering technology that will improve safety, reduce costs and even prolong the life of North Sea operations.

“Robots represent an exciting new paradigm for the oil and gas offshore industry.

“It’s starting to undertake repeatable tasks that people are forced to do. It’s moving the human out of the dangerous or repetitive situation.”

OGTC’s Rebecca Allison said: “We are delighted to be involved in this world-first project that is at the cutting edge of robotics for the oil and gas industry.

“A robot working alongside humans on a North Sea platform isn’t a distant aspiration, it could be a reality in the next 18 months.

“Robotics has the potential to transform the offshore oil and gas industry.

“We have countless repetitive, dirty and potentially dangerous tasks carried out every day. Integrating robots for these tasks will help upskill our workforce and improve the quality of the jobs.

“Projects like this will help inspire and attract the next generation oil and gas workforce.”

Mr Mackinnon also spoke about the prospect of platforms being built specifically for autonomous vehicles instead of humans, without the requirement for accommodation or emergency systems.

But he says the advances in technology shouldn’t be seen as a concern for the workforce: “Someone still has to build, operate and fix the robot.

“You will see the workforce change, but it is not going to happen overnight.”

The MAJOR BENEFIT of ROBOTS is they don't complain about 3 week On Shifts or bitch about Shale ruining the Oil Industry. . . . 

. . .  or at least not yet. 

(edited)

Interesting read. Very interesting with all the recent developments within robotics, serving industries never once imagined. 
As I have been working within the industrial valve sector for 25 years (almost), serving the oil and gas industry with positive displacement flow metres. It will be interesting to see and receive tangible evidence/results of robotics products working alongside these flow metres and will help to promote innovation within our field.

Edited by Phil Jones

On 10/27/2019 at 4:56 AM, Jabbar said:

The MAJOR BENEFIT of ROBOTS is they don't complain about 3 week On Shifts or bitch about Shale ruining the Oil Industry. . . . 

. . .  or at least not yet. 

Actually, most of us in the business prefer the 28 day on/28 day off rotation, gives you alot of time off to enjoy yourself. I am guessing that you have never worked a rotational schedule and are 'cherry picking' your information re those who complain.

Apparently the LTO/shale industry is slowing down significantly lately....just as many on this site predicted years ago. Let's see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

(edited)

On 10/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, Jabbar said:

The MAJOR BENEFIT of ROBOTS is they don't complain about 3 week On Shifts

and then when everyone is on social benefits what then? I've done up to 7 weeks in the Sahara and most people don't bitch we just crack on and work hard. I have to say I really worry about where automation is going, it won't be long before millions of driving jobs are taken away and the cruel meme of 'learn to code' isn't going to help the average working man when all those jobs vanish.

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Apparently the LTO/shale industry is slowing down significantly lately....just as many on this site predicted years ago. Let's see how it goes.

I can guarantee you it's slowing down, very painful for those of us involved. I think/hope drillers will be much more cautious next year and as there will be much less investment it will probably be slow and hopefully we'll see production figures drop off.

Edited by El Nikko

1 hour ago, El Nikko said:

and then when everyone is on social benefits what then? I've done up to 7 weeks in the Sahara and most people don't bitch we just crack on and work hard. I have to say I really worry about where automation is going, it won't be long before millions of driving jobs are taken away and the cruel meme of 'learn to code' isn't going to help the average working man when all those jobs vanish.

I can guarantee you it's slowing down, very painful for those of us involved. I think/hope drillers will be much more cautious next year and as there will be much less investment it will probably be slow and hopefully we'll see production figures drop off.

Big Oil Investors Bracing for Bad News as Headwinds Gather

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-oil-investors-bracing-bad-040002396.html