Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainman

UK Will Not Extend Brexit Transition Period

The British government will not extend the transition period that follows a Brexit withdrawal agreement, a spokesman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday. The spokesman said the government must continue to prepare for all possibilities including that the country leaves the European Union on Jan. 31 without a withdrawal deal.

• Like 1

October 31st has come and gone....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pavel said:

October 31st has come and gone....

Yep. Less than 4 days since he broke that same promise...

Credibility has lost with Theresa May, BJ reminds me of the goose in the fog...

(edited)

So UK drags the leaving for nearly 1 year already, the referendum was 3.5 years ago.  Should be kicked out of EU fast. The faster UK leaves EU, the faster it will beg for re-entrance after long recession. This time no 25% rebate and signing fee of 50 billion EU to pay for all the mess they already created. Paid in Euro the mandatory new currency of UK.

Edited by Marcin
  • Haha 2
  • Rolling Eye 1

2 minutes ago, Marcin said:

So UK drags the leaving for nearly 1 year already, the referendum was 3.5 years ago.  Should be kicked out of EU fast. The faster UK leaves EU, the faster it will beg for re-entrance after long recession. This time no 25% rebate and signing fee of 50 billion EU to pay for all the mess they already created. Paid in Euro the mandatory new currency of UK.

There is no way in hell that the UK will beg anybody let alone the clowns in Brussels.

Also we wont be paying anything

Enjoy the Euro and wait for the break up of the doomed EU + Euro

we are Great Britain for a reason!

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

I am overreacting when I hear Brexit. It is sth like Russian election mendling meme or Trump impeachment, a lot of feed for media, no substance for the time being.

Whatever will the EU do when UK leaves?

EU panic seems the only realistic option.

The EU experiment is a failure, and the EU enforced globalism agenda is becoming increasingly unwieldy. 

Greta the Climate Apocalypse screecher is a perfect representative of the EU ... lecturing the world about hysterical bullsh*t while trying to impose "do as I say, not as I do".

Go ahead, feel free to lecture me about my views.  The EU is already banning memes, so they are already a lost cause, burning in the flames of uncontrollable political correctness and banishment of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Thought.

Little wonder the UK recoils in horror at EU extremism.

• Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The EU experiment is a failure, and the EU enforced globalism agenda is becoming increasingly unwieldy.

EU is maybe a failure in some areas but @Tom Kirkman do not forget that it is the most succesful project in European history. For the first time in 2800 years* we have 74 years period without a major war on a continent.

*first written sources in Europe come from 8 century BC.

It is difficult to understand this point of view sitting in comfy US home because you have not seen a war on US soil for 155 years (since Civil War)*

*@Jan van Eck schooled me in the other thread that I forgot about 2 tiny Aleutian Islands, Wake Island and Pearl Harbour. So caveat: by war fought on own soil I understand war encompassing over 0.01% of country's area.

These are facts, you can check them at Wikipedia or in historical books

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yet, the US has aided in fighting both world wars on European soil, when they could have refused to do so, while at the same time providing the vast majority of men and equipment to battle the Japanese due to the ‘Europe First’ policy.

So yes, American’s have little experience, since the Civil War, of fighting and dying on their own soil, but a wealth of experience dying for other countries on their soil.

• Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Yet, the US has aided in fighting both world wars on European soil, when they could have refused to do so, while at the same time providing the vast majority of men and equipment to battle the Japanese due to the ‘Europe First’ policy.

So yes, American’s have little experience, since the Civil War, of fighting and dying on their own soil, but a wealth of experience dying for other countries on their soil.

All countries are very grateful for US fighting in WW1 and WW2. Especially WW2 effort saved at least 30 million lives (10 million in Europe and 20 million in East Asia).

My argumentation is that when war is fought on own soil it brings a lot more suffering to the society as it concerns mostly civilians, not military men. This changes common memory of society to anti-war much stronger than when the fighting is done elsewhere.

• Like 1

By the same token, fighting and dying on foreign soil has it’s own set of suffering for those left at home.

When you are fighting for your country, on your own soil, it is much easier to believe the sacrifice is worthwhile.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marcin said:

EU is maybe a failure in some areas but @Tom Kirkman do not forget that it is the most succesful project in European history. For the first time in 2800 years* we have 74 years period without a major war on a continent.

Marcin arent you forgetting the war in Bosnia in 1992???

https://www.britannica.com/event/Bosnian-War

Ethnic cleansing and other atrocities! i wouldn't be lauding the attributes of the EU "most successful project in European history" if I was you!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Ethnic cleansing and other atrocities! i wouldn't be lauding the attributes of the EU "most successful project in European history" if I was you!

At this point I would assume that Bosnia will not be considered part of Europe...hide and watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my view, EU experiment is a mini version of the United Nations attempt at a One World Government / Globalization and the attempt of the destruction of independent nations.

Clearly, some will vigorously disagree with me on this.  Fine.  It is exceedingly unlikely that anyone will be successful in changing my view much on this point.

Climate Change Armageddon Panic is but one of the UN / EU flagship programs toward a One World government.

https://americanpolicy.org/agenda21/

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 3

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

In my view, EU experiment is a mini version of the United Nations attempt at a One World Government / Globalization and the attempt of the destruction of independent nations.

I agree Tom

This EU is exactly that, a small group of power hungry politicians trying a "one size fits all" policy for countries with vastly different cultures spanning millenia. It just doesn't work!

In practice what we have seen is the opposite with the break up of the old Yugoslavia into the separate Balkan states of Serbia, Bosnia Croatia, we see the Basque movement in Spain, not to mention Scottish independence on my own doorstep.

The will of the people is against globalization.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

By the same token, fighting and dying on foreign soil has it’s own set of suffering for those left at home.

When you are fighting for your country, on your own soil, it is much easier to believe the sacrifice is worthwhile.

One thing is for certain if there was a major war in Europe Uncle Sam would be called upon in less than 5 minutes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is hardly surprising that Donald Trump's Twitter feed gets so much attention. He is, after all, the President of the United States, and, like him or loathe him, he plainly has a sense for the bizarre. But he's not alone, as anyone who follows Guy Verhofstadt -- the excitable former Belgian prime minister and currently the European Parliament's Brexit representative -- could testify.

In the last couple of weeks, he's been banging on a theme that is endlessly repeated in Brussels, and which is a stock in trade for ideological europhiles across the continent: "The future is Europe," he tweeted on February 10, "We almost destroyed each other during centuries of conflict. We have to cherish the peace the EU has brought us." A week or so earlier, he used Holocaust Memorial Day to boast that the EU was a bulwark against a second Holocaust. Ok. So, let's rattle this cage a bit. How about starting with some facts. Let's look at the extent to which the claim the EU has kept the peace since WWII stacks up.

1) World War II ended in 1945, yet the EU was not created until the signing of the Treaty of Rome in 1957. Why, for starters, was there not a war in the 12 years from 1945 to 1957? This needs an answer. If European nations were straining at the leash for conflict until the EU came along, how did they manage to behave themselves before it existed? (This is not a rhetorical question. See below.)

2) In 1957, only six out of more than 30 European nations became members of the EU. Indeed, membership of the EU proceeded incrementally over time. Denmark, Ireland and the UK did not join until 1973, bringing the number of EU states to just 9. Further small expansions happened in 1981 (Greece) and five years later (Spain and Portugal). Again, with only a minority (12 at this stage) of European nations inside the EU fold how can the EU have prevented war?

3) Austria, Finland, and Sweden joined in 1995, but it was not until 2004 (just 14 years ago) with the expansion into central and eastern Europe that the majority of European states were members of the European Union.

The notion that the EU has kept the peace since the end of World War Two is plainly ahistorical, but that does not stop EU apologists from repeating the mantra all the time. It's a sign of a fatal weakness. If your edifice of existential validation is created out of a lie, it is only a matter of time before it crumbles. Back in the world of real history, there is, of course, a credible line of argument which does explain why the peace has been kept in Europe since 1945.

After World War II, the continent was held in lock down, first by the allied armies, and then by the Cold War stand off between the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact and the American-led NATO alliance. After the Cold War, the EU proved useless in containing and stopping the biggest set of European conflicts since WWII, the wars in the Western Balkans. It was only when the United States (backed strongly by Britain) stepped in that peace was subsequently restored.

Backers of the EU should reflect on all this, and stop telling lies about history.

(Moral of the story = EU still bad) - and copying and pasting way easier than chatting with clowns.

x

Oh and I won the day without even being here? 

Sort it out losers.

I'll leave you to it. You need practice clearly    :) 

4 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

But there was no war among major powers which are all EU members. Bosnian war was effect of nationalistic tendencies and grievances that date back many centuries and that were frozen for 70 years in authoritarian country ago plus economic crisis. Since breakup of Yugoslavia 2 countries: Slovenia and Croatia already joined EU and Montenegro and Serbia will probably join in 2025.

EU creates common European consciousness, decreases nationalistic tendencies, there are a lot of people-to-people contacts. Nobody can imagine Germany and France fighting war again. As I told best European project ever.

• Like 1

@DayTrader as I told many times I am 100% with you that Britain should leave EU and fast. Earlier out, earlier in again and very good example for other botched democracies looking for external culprits for their failures.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Marcin said:

But there was no war among major powers which are all EU members. Bosnian war was effect of nationalistic tendencies and grievances that date back many centuries and that were frozen for 70 years in authoritarian country ago plus economic crisis. Since breakup of Yugoslavia 2 countries: Slovenia and Croatia already joined EU and Montenegro and Serbia will probably join in 2025.

EU creates common European consciousness, decreases nationalistic tendencies, there are a lot of people-to-people contacts. Nobody can imagine Germany and France fighting war again. As I told best European project ever.

So it only counts if 2 of the largest countries go to war????🤣🤣

What nonsense is this?

you said

7 hours ago, Marcin said:

For the first time in 2800 years* we have 74 years period without a major war on a continent.

I think you'll find this to be factually incorrect

you said "EU creates common European consciousness, decreases nationalistic tendencies," 

As i have already stated what about the Basque region in Spain, what about the Scottish? Do they not want independence???

Forgive me but I disagree with your statement as it holds no water.

If it creates "a common European consciousness" why has 1 of the largest member states, the UK, decided to leave?

• Like 3

Just now, Rob Plant said:

why has 1 of the largest member states, the UK, decided to leave?

More will follow in a couple of years and the EU + the Euro will be finished.

• Like 3

Rob, facts can be annoying to some. Have you learnt nothing here? You clearly believe the wrong facts. 

The EU is a wonderful thing. Get with the program. 

''There have been no wars''   ''What about these wars''   ''Oh they don't count''

Pointless. 

(edited)

I explained why Bosnian war (within territory of former Yugoslavia - at that moment not EU country) could not be prevented and was different from the wars we had in Europe in the earlier 2700 years. The wars were fought mainly on European continent, rarely on UK soil.

Take any German, French, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Belgian etc. they would understand what I am talking about. UK is an island - different geography, different perspective. I started reading The revenge of geography by Kaplan. @Gerry Maddoux told about it in China thread. Good book. Explains a lot.

On the other hand the major weakness of EU is lack of military power. EU is still dependent on US might. 

Edited by Marcin
spelling