Tom Kirkman

Don't sneeze. Coronavirus is a threat to oil markets and global economies

Side teaching tangent:  "Where does my strong stomach acid (HCl) come from"?

CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3

H2CO3 + H20 + ATP +NaCl -> HCl( released to stomach) + ADP + phosphate + NaHCO3 (released to blood).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation

(edited)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation

Ever seen someone breathing into a paper bag on TV?  That is them trying to hang on to the acidic CO2 to restore blood pH.

Edited by Enthalpic

Anyone else want to science fail against me tonight?

3 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Anyone else want to science fail against me tonight?

Dude you haven't won anything. You said CO2 was an acid. That's just wrong. Then you bring in water, OK, now you've changed the equation, so you were wrong but figured out how to be right? Follow my lead son, you'll figger this stuff out eventually. Trying to bring in human anatomy is you just flailing around. Do we need to go back to our discussion about salts? Because to you apparently the only salt is NaCl. And buffering, let's not forget what it means and where it's applied. Go back to the cheat sheet, maybe you'll remember something. 

• Downvote 1

(edited)

15 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Dude you haven't won anything. You said CO2 was an acid. That's just wrong.

Does CO2 readily react with any base?

Even the alpha position next to carbonyl readily reacts... keep learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_and_beta_carbon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonyl_group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keto–enol_tautomerism

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

Next! :)

Try again fail again. Fun!

Edited by Enthalpic

4 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Does CO2 readily react with any base?

Even the alpha position next to carbonyl readily reacts... keep learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_and_beta_carbon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonyl_group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keto–enol_tautomerism

Dude, if I drop your body in a vat of a strong base will it "react"? Why yes, yes it will. Does that mean you are acidic? 

• Haha 1

(edited)

Just now, Ward Smith said:

Dude, if I drop your body in a vat of a strong base will it "react"? Why yes, yes it will. Does that mean you are acidic? 

Yes in that context

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

I don't readily acidify water like CO2...

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

More - try again fail harder!

Edited by Enthalpic

On 2/6/2020 at 8:18 PM, Rob Plant said:

I didnt know they were touring China

Image result for the who

RIP Keith Moon

You’d think anyone with the name Rob Plant would be aware of the tour itinerary!😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

More - try again fail harder!

You sound like an entitled millennial who never got grades in school but only received participation awards. In the real world there are real and pragmatic results. I could name dozens of compounds that become "acidic" in water. Just because they can become acid doesn't mean they are already acids. Pretend otherwise all you want but facts are facts. You're playing theory games to try and pretend you're not making mistakes. In the real world you'd be dangerous. Like don't go anywhere near a refinery, or chemical plant, or nuclear plant. Just stay working for the government telling your betters what to do. 

Just now, Ward Smith said:

You sound like an entitled millennial who never got grades in school but only received participation awards. In the real world there are real and pragmatic results. I could name dozens of compounds that become "acidic" in water. Just because they can become acid doesn't mean they are already acids. Pretend otherwise all you want but facts are facts. You're playing theory games to try and pretend you're not making mistakes. In the real world you'd be dangerous. Like don't go anywhere near a refinery, or chemical plant, or nuclear plant. Just stay working for the government telling your betters what to do. 

Nice - keep failing.

If I splash you with sulfuric acid technically vinegar is a base.  You want that instead of Water right?

I know you are slightly smart; don't make yourself look foolish.

• Rolling Eye 1

Fail again!

I'm willing to learn from many here about several topics - just don't insult my chemistry.

(edited)

We should be discussing viral spread not the disdain the forum has for Enthalpic   I am a real human with smart ideas.  

Carry on.

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

On 2/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, Otis11 said:

1) no one did anything of the sort. You are putting words in their mouth to make them seem unreasonable.

2) this isn't unrealistic. No one else it allowed in and the WHO lavishly praised Chinas response before allowing them in... they praised the situation before they had adequate information to asses... and no one else (including the CDC is being allowed in. Suspicious much? Seems likely they agreed not to release any data. 

3)MOST are saying this virus is suspicious given its proteins. Very few, in fact, are saying it's likely natural. Where are you getting your data?!?!?!

4) There's ample reason to doubt the official statistics. There are multiple professors and researchers making models that all have higher estimates, and these estimate all align with independently verifiable information better than the official statistics. (Why the heck would someone shut down 400 million people under house arrest for 1000 fatalities and only 40k infections?)

You are the one name calling. You are the one bringing up race and crying racist. You are the one not being civil. And above all that, you are the only one not providing data that hold up to scrutiny (and ignoring peoples successful rebuttals of your unsupported claims).

And no, you've been incredibly uncivil, yet I'm still responding quite civilly to you... 

So I believe ever sentence in your post is utterly false. Just like every post you've made on this thread.

What kind of person disputes a fact? 

1/ You are entirely incorrect.  Fact:  Here is the post...    Gerry Maddoux.  "This is not the first zoonotic virus to come out of China. One is a fluke of nature. Two is troubling. One a year is disturbing. Whatever the source, zoonosis from China is repeatedly putting the world community at risk."
In black and white, he accuses China of sources, repeated risk to the world, at the frequency of one per year. But the facts are entirely otherwise. I posted previously a brief chronology of outbreaks.  Fact: this nCov is the 1st ever zoo- virus originating from PRC.

2/ If you wish to smear the WHO, that is your bias. You assert the WHO is under PRC control. This is a falsehood and defamation of the WHO.  Others respect the WHO.

3/ Prior to this post, nobody provided links. If you and others do not post links to support your bias, why should I?  Regardless, having now reviewed links, the fact is ALL are conjecture at the respective time. Anybody can opine and create models; you, me, anybody.  But conjecture is not fact.

https://www.pasteur.fr/en/medical-center/disease-sheets/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov

The Pasteur posted their results for a real-life case.  

4/ You are basing your opinion upon conjecture. That is your bias. I do not share such bias. 

The only person spreading falsehoods is you.  Civility prevents me from using the many words, in multiple languages, I have to describe people like you.

Edited by frankfurter
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

We should be discussing viral spread not the disdain the forum has for Enthalpic   I am a real human with smart ideas.  

Carry on.

I agree Enthalpy (oops, a damn Freudian chemistry slip...😂). But you’ve got to admit that you come on a bit ‘strong’ at times.

If someone is annoying the shit out of you on this forum....just don’t respond!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

14 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

As to fear, no I'm not personally afraid. If I go, I go. I want to be around long enough to protect my family if need be, but if everything goes into the shite I'm not interested in a Mad Max future, no thanks. 

"If I go I go..." in response to a flash virus that is half way around the world that has a 2% mortality rate?  This virus has the same chance of making you "go" as the Japanese Tsunami. As stated before it's Voluntary Fear. Understandable we have nothing else to do at this point in our life. We don't need money. The kids are grown. The wife is tired of hearing it. So you can pretend that somehow this virus matters. But, imagining this virus will make you "go" is like pretending you'll take the Starship to Mars. Neither have anything to do with you, or me, or just about anyone in America unless you're one of the people trapped on a cruise ship.... And anyone "going" who likes getting on cruise ships is ... let's face it... an upgrade for humanity.

Let's start naming impossible things that are more likely to get you to go...

A falling coconut. 

A champagne cork.

Cows

Wind

Bees

Horses

Hot Tap Water

Your dog

Icicles

Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation

Being left handed

A vending machine

This is not my original research: 

https://pureoldies941.com/news/25-shocking-things-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-a-shark/

OH... I forgot... A shark attack. 

Edited by Anthony Okrongly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good one!

Good for you, Anthony!

There's hope for you, son.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

11 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

I'm willing to learn from many here about several topics - just don't insult my chemistry.

11 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Touched a nerve there did I? The only way that makes sense to me is you've got misgivings about your knowledge. Or an issue with 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/emotional-intelligence-the-social-skills-you-weren-t-taught-in-school?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Edited by Ward Smith

More decidedly on topic

https://youtu.be/wUgEhfo_qxU

Excellent primer on viruses. 

Bueller... 

Screenshot_20200212-190404_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis11 said:

Bueller... 

Screenshot_20200212-190404_Chrome.jpg

hopefully a reporting error