Tom Kirkman

Europe’s Green Deal: Same Hysteria, Same Destruction

9 hours ago, specinho said:

There might be some truth in those................

Keep running away from History.  Bury it deep.

The Earth damned well better be warming up.  We can deal with heat.  The cold leads to starvation.  No thanks. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

The quickest way to die is to use vegetable oil for cooking: it produces trans-fats like you wouldn't believe. When we use corn oil as biofuel, we're spewing that into the air--it may actually be worse than coal. And restaurant grease? Now you're really getting a two-for-one whammy. Just saying . . . 

There's a guy on another thread who keeps pumping these models out showing "peak oil supply." He's a bright fellow but man, has he overlooked an important factoid: conventional oil. And here I'm not really getting into offshore, about which I know nothing. I do know, however, that the number of conventional onshore wells is phenomenal. Those old wells from, say, 1980, were barely exploited: perhaps 5% yield. They drilled these things and moved on quickly, put in some gathering stations, and from then on it's just a guy driving around in a pickup collecting data for gauge reports and looking for problems. This is mostly done electronically these days.

My point? There's a massive amount of oil left behind in old conventional wells. When such a well becomes end-of-life, it pulls in salt, then water. Some of these old brine wells (western Canada, for example) are very rich in "Petrolithium," which would be an interesting by-product. Anyway, with new techniques, rather than plugging them at a cost of $30,000 per, I predict that a new industry of old oil well resuscitation will become a go-getter. 

I have read a couple of articles saying much of the same thing. If there was ever a shortage of oil under say $80 maybe these types of old wells would be redrilled  or maybe even fracked. A higher price point will pay the tech for opportunities that just were not there in the past. There is plenty of oil out there. 
Peak oil will happen at some point but not from a lack of oil. Eventually electric cars, semis, trains will get enough market share to kill petroleum fluids growth. While there is much debate I’m thinking 2030 will be close. 
To get rid of fossil fuels is a joke. Over 50+ years there will be major inroads in FF consumption. It’s just capitalism and an energetic will to rid the world of pollution and the costs they bring that up to now haven’t been paid for except by shortened lives by 10’s of millions. Not to mention the healthcare costs dragging down economies.

Nat gas while a bridge is said to pollute about 1/3 of coal. As long as there is oversupply in the world nat gas will keep expanding and for now a good pairing with renewables as needed. It’s also the best base fuel for areas with poor sun or wind. The world is lucky to have had fracking for the common man to buy time as tech improves in the rollout of renewables. Just an opinion but many of today’s politicians are pushing renewables dreams before their time. Wind and solar will be much cheaper and efficient in 10 years than now. Better yet in 20 years. Increased spending, sure. 200-300 billion world wide, sure, but not the trillions over to shot a time period you read about in a fit a fear.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NickW said:

margarine is the Devils Jizz and I wouldn't use it to grease fence posts...…..

Now that's just nasty!  Heh-heh!

18 hours ago, NickW said:

As far as solid fats go I'd agree. Butter used in moderation is a natural product whereas margarine is the Devils Jizz and I wouldn't use it to grease fence posts...…..

However unhydrogenated rapeseed (Canola), Sunflower, soya oil etc are fine. 

Butter is fine in moderation.  I also use extra virgin olive oil and bacon grease / lard.

Margarine is not good.

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are basically very unhealthy in any form.  I wouldn't call them as toxic as refined cane sugar, but there is no real nutritional value to sugar or to partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, only unhealthy reactions in the human body to consuming this stuff.

Funny how "heart attack caused by excessive consumption of Crisco partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" is not a recognized medical disease.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

The governments can only do this nonsense if the people let them! If you want to be a victim, you will be.

I guess you mean if a majority let them. 

If the majority of people in a democracy choose to be victims...then yes.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, Rob Plant said:

Jeez I'm an ignorant fool, never heard of trans-fats before. 

Thanks Gerry for educating me!

just read this

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-trans-fats-are-bad

This states that vegetable oils that are chemically altered artificially to form a solid will cause dangerous trans-fats.

Surely conventional vegetable oils in their natural state such as olive oils are good for you (ie better than saturated fats)?? And why would an unaltered vegetable oil be bad as a biofuel?

Sorry as I say I'm a dullard and need educating.

No, you need a small amount of poly-unsaturated fats, thus other than olive oil, which is monounsaturated, the only "good" vegetable oils are saturated. Coconut, palm, grapeseed, avocado are great. Polyunsaturated fats should never be used in hot cooking, like deep fry, since they easily oxidize and create a sticky triglyceride in your bloodstream which will clog you up. 

Rob, as long as you avoid any yellow fruit on your pizza, specifically pineapple, you should be fine....😂

4 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Rob, as long as you avoid any yellow fruit on your pizza, specifically pineapple, you should be fine....😂

God I love pizza!!

The problem I have with what not to eat and what you should eat is that these so called "dietary experts" change their minds every other week.

If it was left to them we'd all starve to death.

I think I'll eat a balanced diet with some exercise thrown in along with a few beers and enjoy my life whilst I'm here, life is too short to live your life eating rabbit food.

• Great Response! 1

If only we could analyse everyone who lived beyond 90 and find out what diet they lived on. Or "supplements" they added. Or behaviours they claimed gave them longevity. Or antecedents they shared who gave them beneficial genes. Or operations they had in life that probably contributed. An infinity of variables?

Or just pure luck?

21 minutes ago, seagull104 said:

If only we could analyse everyone who lived beyond 90 and find out what diet they lived on. Or "supplements" they added. Or behaviours they claimed gave them longevity. Or antecedents they shared who gave them beneficial genes. Or operations they had in life that probably contributed. An infinity of variables?

Or just pure luck?

Good genes is a great help, but not taking drugs (including alcohol and tobacco) a good diet (whatever that is) and exercising regularly should give you a decent life expectancy. 

Thats me fuc*ed then!

• Haha 1

(edited)

37 minutes ago, seagull104 said:

If only we could analyse everyone who lived beyond 90

Or just pure luck?

Luck: Had extended side of family(fathers side) who ALL lived into their 90's and 2 either to or past 100.  They all had different life styles and ate differently.  The only exception was one of the siblings who was FAT.... only lived into their 80's.  Their children?  None of them lived past 84, a decade shorter even though they had same lifestyle, eating habits. 

It is genetics. 

Oh, and the one who lived till 101, always whined to the docs saying she was dying every other month and why can't they find something wrong with her. EDIT: Oh yes, forgot: she ate a TON of salt(literally).  To most people a ton of salt leads to kidney failure, high blood pressure, etc, my great grandma?  Nope. 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

God I love pizza!!

The problem I have with what not to eat and what you should eat is that these so called "dietary experts" change their minds every other week.

If it was left to them we'd all starve to death.

I think I'll eat a balanced diet with some exercise thrown in along with a few beers and enjoy my life whilst I'm here, life is too short to live your life eating rabbit food.

Have you looked at ‘intermittent fasting’? More of a lifestyle change as opposed to eating grubs and rabbit food.

I was doing great with it....then Chinese New Year rolled in...getting back with the program now.

I think Tom has done this as well...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Have you looked at ‘intermittent fasting’? More of a lifestyle change as opposed to eating grubs and rabbit food.

I was doing great with it....then Chinese New Year rolled in...getting back with the program now.

No I haven't ever tried it, might give it a go!

Yeah I saw Tom posted that he does all the time, looks good on it too!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Luck: Had extended side of family(fathers side) who ALL lived into their 90's and 2 either to or past 100.  They all had different life styles and ate differently.  The only exception was one of the siblings who was FAT.... only lived into their 80's.  Their children?  None of them lived past 84, a decade shorter even though they had same lifestyle, eating habits. 

It is genetics. 

Oh, and the one who lived till 101, always whined to the docs saying she was dying every other month and why can't they find something wrong with her. EDIT: Oh yes, forgot: she ate a TON of salt(literally).  To most people a ton of salt leads to kidney failure, high blood pressure, etc, my great grandma?  Nope. 

Yeah some smokers live til their 100

This guy who is credited with the jogging "revolution" died at 52 of a heart attack

https://tuvizo.com/blogs/tuvizo/28326019-jim-fixx-the-man-who-started-it-all

Go figure!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

36 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

No I haven't ever tried it, might give it a go!

Yeah I saw Tom posted that he does all the time, looks good on it too!

Here is an article that gives a pretty good overview of both Keto and Intermittent Fasting.

Intermittent fasting is pretty simple - just skip breakfast, and don't eat anything until lunchtime.

https://www.ruled.me/intermittent-fasting-on-keto-diet/

Intermittent Fasting on a Keto Diet

• Upvote 2

The video in this made me chuckle out loud repeatedly.  Go Canada!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jordan-timbs_energy-peakoil-oilandgas-activity-6633929186836824065-rtVy

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The video in this made me chuckle out loud repeatedly.  Go Canada!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jordan-timbs_energy-peakoil-oilandgas-activity-6633929186836824065-rtVy

Is that guy your brother in law?  Heh-heh.

Great video.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Butter is fine in moderation.  I also use extra virgin olive oil and bacon grease / lard.

Margarine is not good.

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are basically very unhealthy in any form.  I wouldn't call them as toxic as refined cane sugar, but there is no real nutritional value to sugar or to partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, only unhealthy reactions in the human body to consuming this stuff.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:58 AM, NickW said:

As far as solid fats go I'd agree. Butter used in moderation is a natural product whereas margarine is the Devils Jizz and I wouldn't use it to grease fence posts...…..

However unhydrogenated rapeseed (Canola), Sunflower, soya oil etc are fine. 

I'm not sure if these are correct but...... a puny group of  cult has it that:

1. saturated fat e.g. margarine, butter and animal fat when washed down with cold drink, they turned solid and less digestible in the body. These less digestible solid fat particles would then be going through guts and out from the bottom..... little is absorbed. In addition, since they are saturated, little chemical reaction could be taking place. Hence, they might still be the least absorbable??  If washed down with hot drink?? ......... May Gods be with us.......??

2. unsaturated fat e.g. oil (of all fruity kinds), they might be in liquid form regardless refrigerated or at room temperature. Washed down with cold or warmth drink, they remain intact in form. Being unsaturated, they are very reactive to chemical reactions. This might enhance their availability for absorption and churning out free radical along the way??

Note: these are merely cult beliefs of a puny group. Please get professional advice for further confirmation and details...............