Tom Kirkman

Norway horrified as new rates make EV charging prices higher than petrol

2 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Sure there is.  You have the perfect right to walk around in any public place and refuse to identify yourse3lf to anyone  - specifically, to any policeman.  And that includes the notorioous "Border Patrol" who have developed this cute idea that they can stop and search anyone within one hundred miles from any B order- including the Atlantic Ocean in North Carolina, since the Ocean is a "border."  Are their ideas patently absurd?  But of course.  It is classic police and bureaucrat overreach, or Abuse for the sake of being Abusive.  And I refuse to stand for it. 

I have my own way of dealing with that, of course, which I shall not describe here, but trust me, it is creative.  In any event, I would counsel anyone to just stand mute and say absolutely nothing.  You have the perfect right to say nothing at all.  

Yes, you do have the right to be in public without being hassled by the cops. You do not even have to answer a question or even stop to listen to the question unless the cop has a good reason to talk to you. This is not a right to privacy in public: the police can monitor suspicious activity without you permission.

1 minute ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

Yes, you do have the right to be in public without being hassled by the cops. You do not even have to answer a question or even stop to listen to the question unless the cop has a good reason to talk to you. This is not a right to privacy in public: the police can monitor suspicious activity without you permission.

You are required to give them your true name though. Not sure about photo ID unless you are driving or concealed carrying.

35 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

My "unidentified car" has been on the road now for eighteen years, never been stopped.  You can make it invisible if you know what you are doing. 

Please write an e-book and sell it on Amazon. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dan Clemmensen said:

This is not a right to privacy in public: the police can monitor suspicious activity without you permission.

Sure there is.  You enforce the right to privacy with lawsuits.  Police departments are financed by the City budget, and the taxpayers have to front for it.  If enough people file enough lawsuits then it just gets too expensive for the City Council and they order the police to change their ways.  That is how you change things in America; you file lawsuits.  Lots and lots of lawsuits. You can file under Section 1983, specifically designed to whack back at abusers of civil rights.  I would invite you to review the Declaration of Independence, where it says you have the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."   Happiness is not the name of a girl, which is what I thought for the first ten years or so that I lived here.  Once I figured out what was really meant, that is when I went nuts on the privacy crusade.   Now, I grant you that every policeman for fifty miles around knows exactly who I am, and says, "Good morning, Mr. van Eck!" when they see me, and would not dream of ever being cross, that is because I am who I am.  I don't have that clout in say New Jersey.  So, that is where the anti-surveillance techniques start up.  Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Get yourself a little 3-cylinder Kubota diesel and a close-coupled alternator for 220-volts, and go re-charge your electric car off diesel fuel. Cheap enough these days.  The hell with those crazy people and their abusive, overbearing ways. 

Why? If I want to go off-grid, I'll go solar+battery. Generators are noisy and high maintenance, and hauling and storing diesel is a hassle.

Just now, Dan Clemmensen said:

Why? If I want to go off-grid, I'll go solar+battery. Generators are noisy and high maintenance, and hauling and storing diesel is a hassle.

suit yourself.  It just happens to be a cheap solution.  And when the power lines go down in winter in some ice storm, you have all the power you need.  Always nice. 

(edited)

12 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

You are required to give them your true name though. Not sure about photo ID unless you are driving or concealed carrying.

Actually, you are not "required" to give anybody your name.  You can just stand there mute.  Or, you can answer in Dutch, or Albanian, or Icelandic, remember that there is no official language in the USA, and that includes in Court.  So, take a crash course in Albanian and use that!  -Cheers. 

P.S.   Vermont has no gun laws.  There are no concealed-carry permits because there are no laws at all  (except for magazine size, limited to 10 rounds).  So, you show nothing.  As a practical matter, the State is so peaceful that the occasion does not even arise.  The cops assume you are carrying and are not in the least perturbed.  Makes for a most pleasant experience.  Border Patrol, not so much. 

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Just put your smart phone in your back pocket?😀

Nope.  Damned things are useless and horrifically expensive.  Besides, all the idiots use them for is texting which is 4X slower than ancient medium speed morse code....

And laws should be passed eliminating tracking ability from cell phones along with 100% of all cameras on streets. 

PS: Now that we "have" the internet, Yellow pages disappeared which now means it is impossible to find local businesses who are not mega corporations spanning all 50 states. 

37 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

suit yourself.  It just happens to be a cheap solution.  And when the power lines go down in winter in some ice storm, you have all the power you need.  Always nice. 

Depends on where you live. If we get an ice storm here in the Bay area, I will have a few other problems to worry about. When I lived in Virginia, I had a NG-fired backup generator to deal with outages, and no EV a decade ago.