YK

A government-funded analysis found hydroxychloroquine ineffective for COVID-19, increases risk of death

On 5/1/2020 at 4:22 AM, SUZNV said:

Covid19  exposed US and Western World nowadays are so corrupted in many level and nothing you can do in 4 years. If you are CEO in a sinking ship and kicking out every employees immediately is not an option, not to mention  they are trying to pull down the whole company, then not much  you can do. The problems lies in many  previous and now politicians in both parties.

The best way all of us should do in the beginning: wear a mask in public transports, social distancing as much as we can in works since Wuhan locked down. It is basic survival skills in a over crowded city. It is proven in many countries are successful blocking COVID19 this way. Then would be no political argument about why governments didn't do this and that, no argument in what medicine approach are betters, less people dies and we still have an economy. Our healthcare systems were never designed for a pandemics, just like our houses were never designed to be indestructible. 

Lock down sooner or later or more testing for containment is useless, Covid19 will not disappear , the moment we stop the lock down, it will spread out if we don't do the above and it surely cause recession where lots of people will lose jobs, houses.. If we don't have enough infected people die, there is no financial motivation for R&D a vaccine or special cure. We will all reach herd immunity eventually, the tests will only indicate the estimated level of herd immunity. Vaccine in this maybe as good as flu vaccine, at best. 

What should people in Taiwan, Japan... think about us? We have so much freedom and be proud of it yet we depend on governments to advice us to wear mask in public when we all know a disease is coming (even we  don't know big or small, this will have to rely on China and WHO data). If governors don't issue a lock down  edict, then we keep partying and gathering when we know a disease is coming? If we did well enough, governments wouldn't need to do anything. And now we turn back and tell Governments didn't do well enough, don't have enough masks, ventilation, lockdown sooner..., even more we blame it is all Trump's fault, or our Prime Ministers/Presidents  acted better than Trump? All Western Governments did a poor jobs, the same with their Citizens, if compares ourselves to Japanese,Taiwanese and their governments? 

Do we really worry for the US and the Western World, life and economy? Do we have compassionate for many unnecessary deaths? Do we want to make sure it will not happen in the future? Or we just simply find someone to blame for our own stupidity, ignorance? Or we think it is a good opportunity for us to be right all the time about someone? Do we read media news to accumulate knowledge, to have information for analysis, to see debate on both sides, to understand more about the world  or we just want to be assured we were right by your own trust-able sources, just for the sake of our ego? Or we want to make money from the Pharmacy stocks? I cannot see how lock down sooner or more test coverage can help anything in new coming diseases in the future.

It's just like you didn't wear a condom and blame government for HIV because government didn't prepare condom for you or didn't lock you up. Your expectation on your government is too high and unrealistic.

Actually, the reason the West did not advise to wear masks was because the Chinese stole them all and sent them home. If our govt's said we needed masks, and the only people that had them were the Chinese communities in our countries, there would have been a lot of murders, and our countries would have been accused of racism.

• Haha 3

(edited)

17 minutes ago, Wombat said:

Actually, the reason the West did not advise to wear masks was because the Chinese stole them all and sent them home. If our govt's said we needed masks, and the only people that had them were the Chinese communities in our countries, there would have been a lot of murders, and our countries would have been accused of racism.

Agree. I couldn't found any mask at 8 target and walmart branches around Jan 20 (some told me a Philippine guy bought all of it but I don't think it is the Philippines people who did it). But any kind of masks will do or even with  scarves to cover face and nose if we are desperate enough. I think people in metro area should get use to mask cultures in flu seasons or at least on public transporters or at least don't be afraid of people who wear masks.

Good point about the masks for security camera, but a person who try to rob will have his mask on no matter what. But It seems more breaking into cars these days in my city.

Edited by SUZNV
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, SUZNV said:

Good point about the masks for security camera, but a person who try to rob will have his mask on no matter what. But It seems more breaking into cars these days in my city.

Haven't you heard?  The Chinese have ways of getting around mask-wearers:

Even mask-wearers can be ID'd, China facial recognition firm says

China employs some of the world’s most sophisticated systems of electronic surveillance, including facial recognition.

But the coronavirus, which emerged in Hubei province late last year, has resulted in almost everyone wearing a surgical mask outdoors in the hope of warding off the virus - posing a particular problem for surveillance.

Now Hanwang Technology Ltd, which also goes by the English name Hanvon, said it has come up technology that can successfully recognize people even when they are wearing masks.

“If connected to a temperature sensor, it can measure body temperature while identifying the person’s name, and then the system would process the result, say, if it detects a temperature over 38 degrees,” Hanwang Vice President Huang Lei told Reuters in an interview.
  • Like 3

If hydroxychloroquine had a significant effect it would have already been proven.  Any modest effect it may have is offset by increased heart stress.   Death in COVID-19 patients is more often associated with heart failure.

• Like 1

Turkey, which has made HCQ a part of standard Covid-19 treatment, has more than a million cases but has managed to keep the number of deaths much less than in the European countries.

Encouraged by the results, Turkey is now relaxing some of the lockdown measures.

HCQ treatment, said Istanbul University President Nuri Aydin, is "one of the main steps" in Covid-19 treatment. "...the second is isolation," news reports quoted Dr Aydin as having said.

In the US, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons found there are "about 90 percent chances of HCQ helping Covid-19 patients".

But another retrospective study associated with the US veterans claimed that the treatment had no positive effect on the 97 patients given HCQ doses.

In another study published in the May issue of The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), researchers from the Harvard Medical School concluded that HCQ was ineffective against Covid-19.

US drug regulators on Friday gave emergency-use authorization for COVID-19 treatment to anti-Ebola drug remdesivir, whereas several US hospitals continue to use HCQ to treat coronavirus patients.

In India, HCQ remains the first line of therapeutic defence in the battle against Covid-19.

India, meantime, raised the production of HCQ tablets to 30 crore in April from 12.23 crore a month before.

Several countries including Brazil, Israel, Australia, Canada continue to use HCQ in Covid-19 cases. 

IndiaToday.in has plenty of useful resources that can help you better understand the coronavirus pandemic and protect yourself. Read our comprehensive guide (with information on how the virus spreads, precautions and symptoms), watch an expert debunk myths, check out our data analysis of cases in India, and access our dedicated coronavirus page. Get the latest updates here.

Yeah but Trump

The usual idiots know who you are, and the rest of us know it even if you don't

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, Ezzyme said:

This study is showing very promising results. First time I see a trial where the HCQ is effective for critically ill patients.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20073379v1

Strangely when it was registered it was meant to evaluate some traditional chinese medecine, no mentino of HCQ..
http://www.chictr.org.cn/showprojen.aspx?proj=49051

(?)

Meanwhile we have now the first preliminary results from New York study whre HCQ was seen as ineffective for very ill patients.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/health/hydroxychloroquine-new-york-coronavirus-study/index.html

"they found no statistically significant difference in the death or complication rates between the patients who took the drugs and those that didn't. Holtgrave said while it looks like the drugs did not work for very sick patients, researchers should consider studying whether they would work to treat patients who are mildly ill, or possibly as prevention from getting sick in the first place".

Seems coherent with what is predicted by pharmacokinetics: because of side-effects you need some days to increase HCQ levels to levels that can be effective against the virus, as observed in-vitro. 

Quote from Pr. Molimard "This is one of the reasons why lupus patients start to feel the effects of hydroxychloroquine after more than a month of treatment."

https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/hydroxychloroquine-son-inefficacite-etait-previsible-depuis-le-debut_143764
https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/covid-19-clarifications-sur-la-pharmacocinetique-de-l-hydroxychloroquine_143879

Edited by Jim Profit
  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Haven't you heard?  The Chinese have ways of getting around mask-wearers:

Even mask-wearers can be ID'd, China facial recognition firm says

China employs some of the world’s most sophisticated systems of electronic surveillance, including facial recognition.

But the coronavirus, which emerged in Hubei province late last year, has resulted in almost everyone wearing a surgical mask outdoors in the hope of warding off the virus - posing a particular problem for surveillance.

Now Hanwang Technology Ltd, which also goes by the English name Hanvon, said it has come up technology that can successfully recognize people even when they are wearing masks.

“If connected to a temperature sensor, it can measure body temperature while identifying the person’s name, and then the system would process the result, say, if it detects a temperature over 38 degrees,” Hanwang Vice President Huang Lei told Reuters in an interview.

I can counter that by wearing mask, sun glass with  a hat, with two oranges on my chest, a small pillow stuck in my belly and drink lower body temperature medicine, or with mud on my face. I think people will have a choice of the best presentation of themselves or  defeating the supervisor system.

On the topic,

Some experts with the help of MSM will sound much louder than experts in the opposition for a solution, so we currently need some kind of approval from MSM to believe on explaining things we don't have much info and not everyone can dig deeper than the surface. We can throw researches at other faces with statistics as much as we like. The tests samples can be naively biased to suit the purposes, and the news can be selective and all results from other developing countries researches can be safely ignored.

On the war between covid19 treatments motivation, I can only see or this virus was so artificial that a new treatment medicine is needed or there are cheap available treatments out there but against the pharmacy corporation stocks. Isn't that why US pharmacy medicines were so expensive?

In capitalism democracy world, financial motivations should always be considered, the same with news or lobbyists.

Edited by SUZNV
wrong topics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tom S. said:

If hydroxychloroquine had a significant effect it would have already been proven.  Any modest effect it may have is offset by increased heart stress.   Death in COVID-19 patients is more often associated with heart failure.

It is proven as a cure for the virus. It isn't placebo controlled blind tested to cure the disease. Neither is Remdesivir. 

At the treatment doses suggested/used by Dr. Raoult, there is a prolonged history of use without heart events for rheumatic patients. 

The Turkish test at critical stage patients reduced mortality by half. All were having heart stress due to the disease. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

2 hours ago, Jim Profit said:

Seems coherent with what is predicted by pharmacokinetics: because of side-effects you need some days to increase HCQ levels to levels that can be effective against the virus, as observed in-vitro. 

Quote from Pr. Molimard "This is one of the reasons why lupus patients start to feel the effects of hydroxychloroquine after more than a month of treatment."

Holy crap, I just looked it up, the half-life of hydroxychloroquine is 32 - 50 days!  It would take forever to reach a steady state concentration.

Due to the aforementioned cardiac side effects a supermassive dose to quickly reach the therapeutic range is too risky.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim Profit said:

The random opiniated document and the random opiniated Twitter account ... again ?

Please..

Some of your COVID 19 deaths Jim. 😊

On 5/3/2020 at 4:52 AM, Jim Profit said:

Is that supposed to show effectiveness of a specific treatment about COVID-19 ? 🙄
Please point me to some specific study so I can have a look at it.

We will be on to the next virus by the time with you come up with anything useful. If you do though, I will read it. 

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2020 at 5:14 AM, Jim Profit said:

What do you think of the notion of psychological warfare and the idea that adversaries of the western democracies use it ?

"Weaponized Health Communication: Twitter Bots and Russian Trolls Amplify the Vaccine Debate"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6137759/

"Russia deploying coronavirus disinformation to sow panic in West, EU document says"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disinformation/russia-deploying-coronavirus-disinformation-to-sow-panic-in-west-eu-document-says-idUSKBN21518F

All true but it also gets to their own populace. Russia is on its knees right now and Putin is looking to be the weakest since he took over. He has still not formalized his dictatorship for life. China is playing this game as if they think they can win long range. Fortunately they have alerted the whole world, so every other country will face them with foreknowledge of their intentions. It is important to find out how many leaders of other nations have sold their souls to the CCP. Biden is our main guy, along with many Demoncrats and crony capitalists who are globalists before Americans. 

Xi is not looking too good himself but he has to deal with the CCP which may have many that are not happy with how he has been handling things. The Chinese people does for sure. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:31 PM, Enthalpic said:

I pretty sure only elective procedures were postponed  Cancer, heart problems, appendicitis, etc. still got treatment (at least around here).

I hope you are right.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Please see my stories on COVID 19 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXY8T0j7k0oUBsHW4BfjJM__DRIyzqrDf_FSlV4hHpw/edit

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Our largest "hospitals" are broken up.

Cross Cancer Institute

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/findhealth/facility.aspx?id=6122

Mazankowski Heart Institute

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/maz/maz.aspx

The COVID patients don't go to either facility. 

We have multibillionaire Governor Pritzker trying to run the whole rural state to run like Chicagoland. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

We have multibillionaire Governor Pritzker trying to run the whole rural state to run like Chicagoland. 

Madigan needs to go, Ron.  That SOB has strangled Illinois for decades.  I don't know anything about Pritzker, except that he is a billionaire and a Democrat, but it appears that he also does what Madigan bids.  Madigan is like the Illinois version of Hoover or something.  Does he have files on everyone?  It seems he can't be moved for some reason.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, ronwagn said:

We will be on to the next virus by the time with you come up with anything useful. If you do though, I will read it. 

People supporting a treatment like they support a football team. Controversial people like Raoult making unproven allegations and using populist rethoric. Low-quality studies.. Influencers promoting HCQ because they have an agenda. Cherry-picked lists, anecdotal evidence, correlation presented as proof, articles distorting results of clinical studies, fake news. People with strong political beliefs who seen everything from a political angle..Conspirationists seemingly deciding that HCQ is the miracle cure and THEY don't want people to be cured. Good faith actors spreading disinformation because they don't bother verify/factcheck.. Bad faith actors spreading and amplifying disinformation... 

All of this can turn some moderate people away from HCQ, discredit the medication, despite its potential merits.

All this drama is hurting the research and healthcare people taking care of covid-19 patients.. 

I'm not a naysayer, I'm just a skeptic. (think James Randi or Pen & Teller) 

Edited by Jim Profit

On 4/24/2020 at 3:38 AM, 0R0 said:

This is again a super stupid intentionally misleading piece of trash "research" where the use of a promising drug was misaligned with the scope of its capacity. The drug cocktail of HCQ azithromycin and zinc lowers the viral counts within 5-10 days. What is the point of publishing statistics of its desperate use on patients near death, days or hours away, who would die before the drug would have its effect?

It is something like remdesivir from Gilead or monoclonal antibodies that have a chance to stop the virus rapidly enough to get patients off a ventilator or severe conditions. And would still require treatment for the Cytokine storm and the hemoglobin  deficiency.  

This is not research, it is propaganda against the cheapest solution to the problem, which makes it the target of political outrage by the medical industry. They want there to be no solution, but a chronic problem inflated out of proportion to its reality, at which they can throw billions of dollars of billings in perpetuity. Same as in every other medical problem. 

The additional political drive to discredit the President is overtaking professional's medical reasoning to deny fact and create a mirage of ilegitimacy, setup irrelevant evaluations destined to failure in order to create a fog of war which would dissuade successful application of this solution that might shed a positive light on Trump.   

They and their supervisors and YOU, Yoshiro  should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Oro, thought u might find this interesting:  http://a.msn.com/01/en-au/BB13BsPQ?ocid=scu2

My long and detailed comment in another thread, cross-posted here for relevance:

6 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

There are none so blind as those who  [ knowingly ]  refuse to see.    [ KNOWINGLY ]

PDF of the referenced 2005 HCQ paper attached at the bottom of this comment, and also the link to that 2005 HCQ paper.

Fauci knew about HCQ in 2005 -- nobody needed to die

Dr. Anthony Fauci, whose “expert” advice to President Trump has resulted in the complete shutdown of the greatest economic engine in world history, has known since 2005 that chloroquine is an effective inhibitor of coronaviruses.

How did he know this? Because of research done by the National Institutes of Health, of which he is the director. In connection with the SARS outbreak - caused by a coronavirus dubbed SARS- CoV - the NIH researched chloroquine and concluded that it was effective at stopping the SARS coronavirus in its tracks. The COVID-19 bug is likewise a coronavirus, labeled SARS-CoV-2. While not exactly the same virus as SARS-CoV-1, it is genetically related to it, and shares 79% of its genome, as the name SARS-CoV-2 implies. They both use the same host cell receptor, which is what viruses use to gain entry to the cell and infect the victim.

The Virology Journal - the official publication of Dr. Fauci’s National Institutes of Health - published what is now a blockbuster article on August 22, 2005, under the heading - get ready for this - “Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread.”

693264657_CHQpotentinhibitorofSARScoronavirus-2005.png.4e2a7ba9dbf0931d6b63a2c5dd09d5e6.png

Write the researchers, “We report...that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage.”

This means, of course, that Dr. Fauci (pictured below) has known for 15 years that chloroquine and it’s even milder derivative hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) will not only treat a current case of coronavirus (“therapeutic”) but prevent future cases (“prophylactic”). So HCQ functions as both a cure and a vaccine. In other words, it’s a wonder drug for coronavirus. Said Dr. Fauci’s NIH in 2005, “concentrations of 10 μM completely abolished SARS-CoV infection.” Fauci’s researchers add, “chloroquine can effectively reduce the establishment of infection and spread of SARS-CoV.”

265651780_faucipic.jpg.5ea2a6098be2445828079b341308dc93.jpg

Dr. Didier Raoult, the Anthony Fauci of France, had such spectacular success using HCQ to treat victims of SARS-CoV-2 that he said way back on February 25 that “it’s game over” for coronavirus.

He and a team of researchers reported that the use of HCQ administered with both azithromycin and zinc cured 79 of 80 patients with only “rare and minor” adverse events. “In conclusion,” these researchers write, “we confirm the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine associated with azithromycin in the treatment of COVID-19 and its potential effectiveness in the early impairment of contagiousness.”

The highly-publicized VA study that purported to show HCQ was ineffective showed nothing of the sort. HCQ wasn’t administered until the patients were virtually on their deathbeds when research indicates it should be prescribed as soon as symptoms are apparent. Plus, HCQ was administered without azithromycin and zinc, which form the cocktail that makes it supremely effective. At-risk individuals need to receive the HCQ cocktail at the first sign of symptoms.

But Governor Andrew Cuomo banned the use of HCQ in the entire state of New York on March 6, the Democrat governors of Nevada and Michigan soon followed suit, and by March 28 the whole country was under incarceration-in-place fatwas.

Nothing happened with regard to the use of HCQ in the U.S. until March 20, when President Trump put his foot down and insisted that the FDA consider authorizing HCQ for off-label use to treat SARS-CoV-2.

On March 23, Dr. Vladimir Zelenko reported that he had treated around 500 coronavirus patients with HCQ and had seen an astonishing 100% success rate. That’s not the “anecdotal” evidence Dr. Fauci sneers at, but actual results with real patients in clinical settings.

“Since last Thursday, my team has treated approximately 350 patients in Kiryas Joel and another 150 patients in other areas of New York with the above regimen. Of this group and the information provided to me by affiliated medical teams, we have had ZERO deaths, ZERO hospitalizations, and ZERO intubations. In addition, I have not heard of any negative side effects other than approximately 10% of patients with temporary nausea and diarrhea.”

Said Dr. Zelenko:

"If you scale this nationally, the economy will rebound much quicker. The country will open again. And let me tell you a very important point. This treatment costs about $20. That’s very important because you can scale that nationally. If every treatment costs $20,000, that’s not so good.

All I’m doing is repurposing old, available drugs which we know their safety profiles, and using them in a unique combination in an outpatient setting."

The questions are disturbing to a spectacular degree. If Dr. Fauci has known since 2005 of the effectiveness of HCQ, why hasn’t it been administered immediately after people show symptoms, as Dr. Zelenko has done? Maybe then nobody would have died and nobody would have been incarcerated in place except the sick, which is who a quarantine is for in the first place. To paraphrase Jesus, it’s not the symptom-free who need HCQ but the sick. And they need it at the first sign of symptoms.

While the regressive health care establishment wants the HCQ cocktail to only be administered late in the course of the infection, from a medical standpoint, this is stupid. Said one doctor, “As a physician, this baffles me. I can’t think of a single infectious condition — bacterial, fungal, or viral — where the best medical treatment is to delay the use of an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, or anti-viral until the infection is far advanced.”

So why has Dr. Fauci minimized and dismissed HCQ at every turn instead of pushing this thing from jump street? He didn’t even launch clinical trials of HCQ until April 9, by which time 33,000 people had died.

This may be why: “Chloroquine, a relatively safe, effective and cheap drug used for treating many human diseases...is effective in inhibiting the infection and spread of SARS CoV.” That’s the problem. It is safe, inexpensive, and it works - in other words, there’s nothing sexy or avant-garde about HCQ. It’s been around since 1934.

Given human nature, it’s possible, even likely, that those who are chasing the unicorn of a coronavirus vaccine are doing so for reasons other than human health. I can’t see into anybody’s heart, and can’t presume to know their motives, but on the other hand, human nature recognizes that there’s no glory in pushing HCQ, and nobody is going to get anything named for him in the history books. The polio vaccine was developed by Jonas Salk in 1954, and it is still known as the “Salk vaccine.” There will be no “Fauci vaccine” if HCQ is the answer to the problem.

So while Dr. Fauci is tut-tutting and pooh-poohing HCQ, Dr. Raoult and Dr. Zelensky are out there saving lives at $20 a pop. Maybe we should spend more time listening to them than the wizards-of-smart bureaucrats the Talking Snake Media fawns over.

Dr. Fauci is regarded by the Talking Snake Media as the Oracle at Delphi. The entire nation hangs on his every word. But if nobody is dying and nobody is locked down, his 15 minutes of fame fades to zero. Very few people are not going to be influenced by that prospect, especially when it’s easy to keep the attention of the public by continuing to feed the panic.

It should not be overlooked that there is no money in HCQ for Big Pharma since HCQ is a generic that can be manufactured so cheaply there is little profit margin in it. On the other hand, the payday for a vaccine will literally be off-the-charts. Who knows what kind of behind-the-scenes pressure is being put on Fauci and others in the health care establishment?

There is a monstrous reputational risk for those who will be found to have dismissively waved off a treatment that could have been used from the very beginning, even back on February 15 when Dr. Fauci said that the risk from Coronavirus was “minuscule.” How many lives could have been saved if the heads of our multi-billion dollar health care bureaucracy had been advocating for HCQ treatment from day one? We’ll never know. Instead, their advice has been dangerous and deadly in every sense of that word.

Someday - maybe even today - we will be able to identify the individuals who had the knowledge and expertise to make a global difference, but turned up their noses at the solution when it could have made all the difference in the world.

=========================================================

Meantime, the concerted efforts by Mainstream Media push the verbatim and false talking points that CHQ has No Benefits, More Deaths

1635181201_MSMHCQmoredeathsnobenefit.thumb.jpg.a6c16a167c1e88aa7f59f4de9225e682.jpg

===================================================

Link to the 2005 paper referenced:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

PDF of the same 2005 paper attached:

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread - Aug 2005 - Virology Journal.pdf 847.81 kB · 0 downloads

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

16 hours ago, Tom S. said:

It was already proven, in 2005.  Please see my long comment direct above this one ^

It might help to stop paying attention to the MSM false panic narrative.  Your choice.

1055808783_CHQpotentinhibitorofSARScoronavirus-2005.png.a15975830e6fcb2269019da15fd70f37.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1