Jay McKinsey

Model 3 cheaper to buy than BMW 3 series.

7 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

You certainly do not: HERE: https://www.masinaelectrica.com/motor-performance-evaluation-test-bench-setup/

Is how you actually calculate it.  Big Hint: his drive efficiency is 96.731% efficient.  Yours claims 98%.  I'll let you figure out what the actual overall efficiency is.  HInt: It is NOT 96.731%, nor is it 98% if he switched his drive for the TI 98% drive.  

Neodynium iron cobalt magnets die at temperature so how you plan on keeping these generators etc below 100C, good luck.  Old Memory: GM tried this on new starters.  Worked great until placed in the desert and they could not start a car anymore...  True that was 40 years ago, but... these properties have not changed any nor are we using new types of magnets in these permanent magnet brushless motors.  Why they all have overtemp sensors and they turn off.

Dude, enough with the freaking generators. You're being purposely obtuse and talking like a fool, all to backup your argument that I was wrong about efficiency. There are good reasons you don't use certain motor designs to produce freaking power! Enough already. 

You've been quibbling for days about less than 2% efficiency. What if I'd said 96% efficiency, would that satisfy you or would you argue I'd missed 0.73% from one vendor? 

Bottom line, if you want the maximum mileage from an EV, which is the freaking topic here, you want the maximum efficiency for every single component. Tesla Motors used AC motors even when they knew BLDC motors were superior. Now I've done further research and see that they've recently switched to BLDC so they're getting superior performance, as expected. My point, all along. 

8 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

You certainly do not: HERE: https://www.masinaelectrica.com/motor-performance-evaluation-test-bench-setup/

Is how you actually calculate it.  Big Hint: his drive efficiency is 96.731% efficient.  Yours claims 98%.  I'll let you figure out what the actual overall efficiency is.  HInt: It is NOT 96.731%, nor is it 98% if he switched his drive for the TI 98% drive.  

Neodynium iron cobalt magnets die at temperature so how you plan on keeping these generators etc below 100C, good luck.  Old Memory: GM tried this on new starters.  Worked great until placed in the desert and they could not start a car anymore...  True that was 40 years ago, but... these properties have not changed any nor are we using new types of magnets in these permanent magnet brushless motors.  Why they all have overtemp sensors and they turn off.

Thanks for the link. 

Look at this picture from the video and see how it completely backs what I said! 

Furthermore, he's getting that efficiency with a freaking 130kw motor! That's a lot of mass and current being thrown around. Change to a slotless small motor and the "near unity" between the controller and the motor that I told you about yesterday while trying to teach you something and you go and say I'm wrong and here it is, in the video you gave me. Thanks. 0.4% away from unity, or exactly what I tried to tell you. 

You're a smart guy, dig into this and learn anything. It will do you good. Learn from the blogger, he took an open source controller and got excellent results. With the TI controller he'd get 98% motor efficiency or close to it even with his massive motor. I tip my hat to him, and you for finding it. 

6575FC59-ACC9-43BE-B2E1-74EF20284733.png

11 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Thanks for the link. 

Look at this picture from the video and see how it completely backs what I said!

6575FC59-ACC9-43BE-B2E1-74EF20284733.png

795.8/855.7 is what again?  🙄🤔😜  Or you could multiple 96.612*96.268 and arrive at an epiphany...

3 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

795.8/855.7 is what again?  🙄🤔😜  Or you could multiple 96.612*96.268 and arrive at an epiphany...

Admit it, you're not an electrical engineer. 

The tectronics scope calculated the efficiency for you. You're just quibbling to pretend you were right. I'm not worried about his batteries and I'm not worrying about every single possible loss in the entire experimental setup. But clearly you are, because you're just a technician. 

Why on  earth  would  u buy a toy car which takes more to produce. It will Fade just  as it strated .

21 minutes ago, Dean Pendigrast said:

Why on  earth  would  u buy a toy car which takes more to produce. It will Fade just  as it strated .

Yep - we heard all this about the Prius 20 years ago......😀

On 6/3/2020 at 1:33 AM, NickW said:

Yep - we heard all this about the Prius 20 years ago......😀

Hybrids are not the same as EV's since the time to refill a hybrid is seconds and the time it takes to "refill" an EV is hours. The whole reason EV won't take off is the short range and long recharge time. That's called lose lose.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

Hybrids are not the same as EV's since the time to refill a hybrid is seconds and the time it takes to "refill" an EV is hours. The whole reason EV won't take off is the short range and long recharge time. That's called lose lose.

HaHa! It is going to be so much fun watching you guys meltdown in the face of cold hard sales numbers. Tesla is destroying Prius sales numbers, and Mercedes and ...

California: Tesla Model 3 is #1

note pathetic Prius numbers in the Compact category.

image.png.1241a1a5c4d2b7b48a5b306b239d4aaa.png

Europe:

image.png.bda3a7baacf31fb991b23a1bece8e2c9.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

3 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Maybe. 

However as most charging will be done overnight. at home. utilising off peak electricity the time to fill argument becomes pretty much null and void unless you regularly undertake journeys exceeding the range of the vehicle. 

For battery life this makes sense for day to day commuting. Get home 6ish and plug vehicle into charger which is set to come on at 12/1am (when the battery has cooled down)  and charge to 80% capacity. 

Edited by NickW

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

HaHa! It is going to be so much fun watching you guys meltdown in the face of cold hard sales numbers. Tesla is destroying Prius sales numbers, and Mercedes and ...

California: Tesla Model 3 is #1

note pathetic Prius numbers in the Compact category.

image.png.1241a1a5c4d2b7b48a5b306b239d4aaa.png

Europe:

image.png.bda3a7baacf31fb991b23a1bece8e2c9.png

Does the Corolla include Hybrid set ups in the States as it does in Europe and Japan? If so bear in mind that many potential Prius sales switched to Corolla Hatch and estate models as they became available. 

Indeed we have a Auris (Corolla) Hybrid Estate. 

1 hour ago, NickW said:

Does the Corolla include Hybrid set ups in the States as it does in Europe and Japan? If so bear in mind that many potential Prius sales switched to Corolla Hatch and estate models as they became available. 

Indeed we have a Auris (Corolla) Hybrid Estate. 

From 2017 to 2019 Corolla sales were flat and Prius fell by almost 40%

image.png.d7ac88ec8a63601eedffde848ddd7ff9.png

image.png.e9906117898c217aa084e68935a02223.png

55 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

From 2017 to 2019 Corolla sales were flat and Prius fell by almost 40%

image.png.d7ac88ec8a63601eedffde848ddd7ff9.png

image.png.e9906117898c217aa084e68935a02223.png

The question was more around whether or not US Corollas are offered in Hybrid version.

originally in Europe it was only the Prius. They then put the Hybrid drive train in the Auris (corolla) Yaris and CHR. This will have diluted Prius sales.

(edited)

13 minutes ago, NickW said:

The question was more around whether or not US Corollas are offered in Hybrid version.

originally in Europe it was only the Prius. They then put the Hybrid drive train in the Auris (corolla) Yaris and CHR. This will have diluted Prius sales.

I have no idea what toy's hybrid product mix looks like. If Prius buyers shifted to Corolla then Corolla numbers would have gone up. Yaris isn't on the leader board anymore.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

19 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I have no idea what toy's hybrid product mix looks like. If Prius buyers shifted to Corolla then Corolla numbers would have gone up. Yaris isn't on the leader board anymore.

Its offered in the US as a Hybrid. I suspect that ate into sales of conventional engine Corollas. 

I wouldn't have anticipated the Yaris ever having a major impact on the US market 

US sales Q1. Model 3 is the one with 98% growth.

image.png.ffaa83decc49426f1116ba49b41b9c05.png

US Q1 sales by brand: Tesla is the one with 72.5% growth. Look at all that red!

image.png.c66da37fcdb7813ed6822f742d04378d.png