Trade war with China on hold

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he still let ZTE, who violated sanctions by trading with Iran and North Korea off the hook, against military advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Nigerian Price said:

he still let ZTE, who violated sanctions by trading with Iran and North Korea off the hook, against military advice. 

So the threat of tariffs got China to agree not to raise tariffs on us if we don't raise tariffs on them? That's some great negotiating, right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does China know its on hold? They just devastated Soybean farmers in the midwest who mostly voted Trump by cancelling orders and buying from Russia instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Stephen said:

Does China know its on hold? They just devastated Soybean farmers in the midwest who mostly voted Trump by cancelling orders and buying from Russia instead.

Actually Argentina just bout a huge amount so no they did not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“It looks like a bribe to me,” said Richard Painter, who served as White House ethics lawyer for George W. Bush. "He got what he wanted out of the Chinese government — a major development deal, and within a day or two he’s talking about bailing out this company the Chinese government wants bailed out. It’s circumstantial evidence of a quid pro quo."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

The Art of the Flop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

“It looks like a bribe to me,” said Richard Painter, who served as White House ethics lawyer for George W. Bush. "He got what he wanted out of the Chinese government — a major development deal, and within a day or two he’s talking about bailing out this company the Chinese government wants bailed out. It’s circumstantial evidence of a quid pro quo."

China Contributing $500 Million to Trump-Linked Project in Indonesia

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-contributing-500-million-trump-linked-project-indonesia/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

Of course it's on hold! Can you imagine the damage of a Trade war to Republicans with the midterms coming up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

I think it would be more believable if that message came from China

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

In a joint statement, the U.S. and China said there was a consensus on taking effective measures to substantially reduce the United States trade deficit in goods with China. But Chinese negotiators resisted demands from Washington to cut the trade deficit between the two countries in half. China was also cautious about committing to specific purchases of U.S. goods and services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

So the threat of tariffs got China to agree not to raise tariffs on us if we don't raise tariffs on them? That's some great negotiating, right there. 

Meanwhile, China signed a free trade agreement with the Eurasian Economic Union in Astana, Kazakhstan, strengthening trade ties with Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Armenia in sectors such as customs cooperation, intellectual property and government procurement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

Americans have no idea how dependent they/we are on that cheap Chinese stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said  that a trade war with China is “on hold.” Chinese state media also reported that Washington and Beijing have agreed to back off on tariffs.  I guess it means that United States will reduce trade deficit in goods with China, but are any details public yet? 

200 Billion reduction is never going to happen anytime soon. This agreement is meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t artificially create demand . If it exists on their side, it would already be heavily purchased with no manipulation . This will last about a week , if it happens at all .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

So the threat of tariffs got China to agree not to raise tariffs on us if we don't raise tariffs on them? That's some great negotiating, right there. 

You can whine all you want but according to CBS New poll, most Americans believe President Trump is at least somewhat responsible for the good state of the economy. According to the poll, 35 percent of Americans believe Trump’s policies are “a great deal” responsible for the economy’s performance. Another 33 percent said the president is "somewhat" responsible. Overall, around two in three Americans believe the economy is in at least somewhat good shape, the poll found. In addition, 42 percent of respondents said they feel optimistic about the economy for the next couple of years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnAtronis said:

You can whine all you want but according to CBS New poll, most Americans believe President Trump is at least somewhat responsible for the good state of the economy. According to the poll, 35 percent of Americans believe Trump’s policies are “a great deal” responsible for the economy’s performance. Another 33 percent said the president is "somewhat" responsible. Overall, around two in three Americans believe the economy is in at least somewhat good shape, the poll found. In addition, 42 percent of respondents said they feel optimistic about the economy for the next couple of years.

but you should also cite the same poll that says that 88 percent of Americans think Trump, to some extent, is looking out for the interests of big business like his own family business or other wealthy individuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

Of course it's on hold! Can you imagine the damage of a Trade war to Republicans with the midterms coming up? 

the economy always drives the midterms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's official now: the U.S. will lift the ban on ZTE, and by some reports, that ban had already cost ZTE over $3 billion in losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0