cv

British PM Eyes Banning Gasoline and Diesel Car Sales

Recommended Posts

British PM Eyes Banning Gasoline and Diesel Car Sales

 

 

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to unveil a green 10-point plan on Wednesday, as he weighs controversial proposals to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars within a decade.

The much anticipated policy document has already been delayed at least twice and could be moved again. It is currently scheduled for Nov. 18, people familiar with the matter said.

The government is considering bringing forward the current 2040 prohibition on the sale of gas and diesel cars to 2035, or earlier. The BBC and the Financial Times on Saturday reported that the ban will come into effect in 2030, with hybrid cars barred from 2035. However, three senior government officials said no decision had been taken yet.

Johnson promised a self-styled green industrial revolution to meet a law calling for net-zero emissions by 2050, and this week set a target to create 2 million green jobs by 2030. He is seeking to balance car industry concerns with climate goals at a time when the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic threatens to weigh on long-term growth.

Research by Greenpeace and Green Alliance shows that only a 2030 ban, which also covers plug-in hybrids, would put the U.K. on track to meeting its target of reaching net-zero by the middle of the century.

The car industry has warned that a 2030 ban “could have a devastating impact on the U.K. automotive industry” at a time when it’s already dealing with uncertainty caused by Brexit and the pandemic. Britain’s recovery is trailing behind the world’s major industrialized nations and the economy was still almost 10% smaller than before the pandemic, in the three months through September, according to data released Thursday,

As the host of the next round of global climate change talks, known as COP26, Johnson is under particular pressure to show leadership on tackling climate change by setting out domestic policies that will drive down emissions. The government this week once again delayed a key energy white paper that could include financing plans for nuclear power, hydrogen and carbon capture and storage technology. These technologies are key to reducing pollution, but too expensive to work without subsidization.

He is also expected to announce a new 2030 climate change target ahead of a Dec. 12 United Nations summit, which is required by all countries under the terms of the 2015 Paris Agreement.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much are we willing to spend to have no impact on climate change?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ulysses said:

How much are we willing to spend to have no impact on climate change?

The Greens? Everything. The rest of us? Basically nothing. That's beside the point though.

This isn't about climate change, which is just a cover story sold to an idiotic population. In most countries, rapid electrification is about geopolitical freedom. Cut the oil demand, and suddenly the Middle East isn't your problem any more - and you're not as beholden to the US, who secures your trade lanes in exchange for a variety of favors. Most of the world will be willing to pay for this freedom.

It's the same with the "circular economy": formulated to solve geopolitical problems; sold by extolling its "green" benefits.

I've often wondered, "Why climate change? Why not any number of other strategies?" I suspect the problem is the Western outpouring of sympathy for poor people in poor nations. If it were clear to the virtue signalers that the end of resource extraction in poor nations would throw hundreds of millions into abject poverty, they'd have a crisis of conscience. To avoid that, we give them an even bigger problem to fixate on: the alleged end of the world.

Of course, that's pure speculation. It just seems to me that all of this is clever salesmanship to achieve remarkably practical goals.

  • Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Great Reset.

It is here and about to get worse. 

The following 5 minute video is from the World Economic Forum YOUTUBE CHANNEL,  By the way, the World Economic Forum and Bill Gates participated in Event 201 (a coronavirus world pandemic excercise) on October 18, 2019.

More information here...

How & Why Big Oil Conquered The World

https://www.corbettreport.com/bigoil/

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

Of course, that's pure speculation. It just seems to me that all of this is clever salesmanship to achieve remarkably practical goals.

Of course, Both the cause and the claimed remedy for "climate change" is pure speculation as well.  I don't think it's that clever.

Just making my own, side, point.  I agree entirely with the perspective you lay out.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this video should be age restricted:  Old white men, especially old German white men, should have an age restriction banner applied whenever they speculate with your wallet just before their impending demise.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

I think this video should be age restricted:  Old white men, especially old German white men, should have an age restriction banner applied whenever they speculate with your wallet just before their impending demise.

 

That's funny Dan!  Schwab comes off like a James Bond villain. 

They got Prince Charles in that video too.  Charles is no fan of "populations".

However, Prince Philip doesn't mince words...

Back in 1988, the duke brought up overpopulation when speaking to the German news agency Deutsche Press Agentur about reincarnation.

“In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation,” The Telegraph quoted Philip saying at the time.
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tom Nolan said:

That's funny Dan!  Schwab comes off like a James Bond villain. 

They got Prince Charles in that video too.  Charles is no fan of "populations".

However, Prince Philip doesn't mince words...

Back in 1988, the duke brought up overpopulation when speaking to the German news agency Deutsche Press Agentur about reincarnation.

“In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation,” The Telegraph quoted Philip saying at the time.

Good old Prince Charles.  He helps one to understand where the term Anglo-Saxon comes originates, doesn't he (I do hope I'm actually using the term correctly)?  He also reminds one why one should normally keep ones thoughts to oneself, as Her Majesty has no doubt reminded him from time to time.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

The Greens? Everything. The rest of us? Basically nothing. That's beside the point though.

This isn't about climate change, which is just a cover story sold to an idiotic population. In most countries, rapid electrification is about geopolitical freedom. Cut the oil demand, and suddenly the Middle East isn't your problem any more - and you're not as beholden to the US, who secures your trade lanes in exchange for a variety of favors. Most of the world will be willing to pay for this freedom.

It's the same with the "circular economy": formulated to solve geopolitical problems; sold by extolling its "green" benefits.

I've often wondered, "Why climate change? Why not any number of other strategies?" I suspect the problem is the Western outpouring of sympathy for poor people in poor nations. If it were clear to the virtue signalers that the end of resource extraction in poor nations would throw hundreds of millions into abject poverty, they'd have a crisis of conscience. To avoid that, we give them an even bigger problem to fixate on: the alleged end of the world.

Of course, that's pure speculation. It just seems to me that all of this is clever salesmanship to achieve remarkably practical goals.

It is wellknown here (Europe) that energy security is part of the argument for renewables. 

Serious question : Is this not a good thing though? It also means less Russian gas.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Serious question : Is this not a good thing though? It also means less Russian gas.

I agree with your point emphatically Rasmus.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with finding viable, clean energy solutions.  That is a sane concept with which I think most people will agree.

The trouble is that this concept is being used as bait and is being perverted by those who wish to dictate our lives.

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, ceo_energemsier said:

British PM Eyes Banning Gasoline and Diesel Car Sales

 

 

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to unveil a green 10-point plan on Wednesday, as he weighs controversial proposals to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars within a decade.

The much anticipated policy document has already been delayed at least twice and could be moved again. It is currently scheduled for Nov. 18, people familiar with the matter said.

The government is considering bringing forward the current 2040 prohibition on the sale of gas and diesel cars to 2035, or earlier. The BBC and the Financial Times on Saturday reported that the ban will come into effect in 2030, with hybrid cars barred from 2035. However, three senior government officials said no decision had been taken yet.

Johnson promised a self-styled green industrial revolution to meet a law calling for net-zero emissions by 2050, and this week set a target to create 2 million green jobs by 2030. He is seeking to balance car industry concerns with climate goals at a time when the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic threatens to weigh on long-term growth.

Research by Greenpeace and Green Alliance shows that only a 2030 ban, which also covers plug-in hybrids, would put the U.K. on track to meeting its target of reaching net-zero by the middle of the century.

The car industry has warned that a 2030 ban “could have a devastating impact on the U.K. automotive industry” at a time when it’s already dealing with uncertainty caused by Brexit and the pandemic. Britain’s recovery is trailing behind the world’s major industrialized nations and the economy was still almost 10% smaller than before the pandemic, in the three months through September, according to data released Thursday,

As the host of the next round of global climate change talks, known as COP26, Johnson is under particular pressure to show leadership on tackling climate change by setting out domestic policies that will drive down emissions. The government this week once again delayed a key energy white paper that could include financing plans for nuclear power, hydrogen and carbon capture and storage technology. These technologies are key to reducing pollution, but too expensive to work without subsidization.

He is also expected to announce a new 2030 climate change target ahead of a Dec. 12 United Nations summit, which is required by all countries under the terms of the 2015 Paris Agreement.

 

I just saw a great Ford ad pledging to offer all their best models in electric versions. I wonder if they plan to offer a low priced one? We have three vehicles that each have another 100,000 miles in them, so no problem. Large, medium, and small. Red, white, and blue. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

It is wellknown here (Europe) that energy security is part of the argument for renewables. 

Serious question : Is this not a good thing though? It also means less Russian gas.

I would argue it's a good thing. It still confuses me that politicians don't just make this argument; there's something about this situation that I don't understand.

That does raise an interesting point though: Europe and SE Asia will be quite interested in energy security. The US, by contrast, is effectively energy independent. Why, then, would American politicians push climate change? Could it be because our energy efficiency affects the supply available to our allies, and we're choosing to be cooperative?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

I just saw a great Ford ad pledging to offer all their best models in electric versions. I wonder if they plan to offer a low priced one? We have three vehicles that each have another 100,000 miles in them, so no problem. Large, medium, and small. Red, white, and blue. 

Personally I just started liking Elon Musk but still hate Tesla. So this is welcomed for me. Gm Ford VW kia / Hyundai all going to stop paying ZEV credits and show what what being in a market looks like (aka competition). I did a comparison with earnings in 2019 for my PXT.to vs Tesla . 1.8B$ vs 475B$ 2019 - 64$ brent - 350M$ USD after tax (and growth capex) vs 34.8M$ USD. ...  even if earnings were identical - 16$CAD sp PXT would be 3650$ USD per share in Tesla world. .... but we need 1) real EV competition and 2) tax credits to fall off . We already have charging stations showing the real rates 10$+ at canadian petrocan and with per km tax going to be 20$/tank the cards will fall where they should . 

I still think hybrid is best. Also just saw a Ford escape 1000km per tank hybrid ad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

That does raise an interesting point though: Europe and SE Asia will be quite interested in energy security. The US, by contrast, is effectively energy independent. Why, then, would American politicians push climate change? Could it be because our energy efficiency affects the supply available to our allies, and we're choosing to be cooperative?

I think that US promoting green electricity production has following motives (in addition to cliamte change): 

1) it doesn't take much to go wrong with LTO for US to loose their energy independence

2) Full electrification of societies will make it easier to push nuclear

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

I would argue it's a good thing. It still confuses me that politicians don't just make this argument; there's something about this situation that I don't understand.

That does raise an interesting point though: Europe and SE Asia will be quite interested in energy security. The US, by contrast, is effectively energy independent. Why, then, would American politicians push climate change? Could it be because our energy efficiency affects the supply available to our allies, and we're choosing to be cooperative?

Nope. It is mainly about votes. We (the world), do need to tackle the issues of climate change and sustainability in general, but there is certainly a high degree of tyranny involved due to our debt problems. In govt circles, such tyranny is known as giving society a "nudge". Hence all the "sin taxes", the latest of which is being mobile, and once you can no longer afford to drive, there will be huge land taxes on your family home. Every govt on the planet is on verge of bankruptcy, and income tax is the least popular so there will be ever more "indirect" taxes to make up for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wombat said:

Nope. It is mainly about votes. We (the world), do need to tackle the issues of climate change and sustainability in general, but there is certainly a high degree of tyranny involved due to our debt problems. In govt circles, such tyranny is known as giving society a "nudge". Hence all the "sin taxes", the latest of which is being mobile, and once you can no longer afford to drive, there will be huge land taxes on your family home. Every govt on the planet is on verge of bankruptcy, and income tax is the least popular so there will be ever more "indirect" taxes to make up for it.

Yea its this. Equality via poverty.  The funny thing is Trudope had a speech saying we were going to tackle , inequality,  low income and climate change.  So probably tax out the middle class making everyone equal and corporately low income via son tax and progress. I've had 2 people this week tell me EVs were progress and the future ...  I told them they were invented in 1830 and just a different form of the same thing where physical laws apply . 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often wondered if they did a switcheroo on old Boris when they put him in hospital for "Covid". He definitely seems different now that he's out. In the US we have RINO, does Britain have CINO? 

  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know these guys will have their private jets, Bentley gas guzzlers and the world will have green energy, and economies will be D-E-A-D like these guys will be in about 5 or so years.  Phew, old, really old, and very old, lecturing us on their globalism and reset the world to strangle countries like the U.S. It would be funny if it weren't so damn scary!  Yeah, let's send those trillions to the developed counties, like China, Africa, et al. as corrupt as Biden with one exception, they can put a sentence together.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, ceo_energemsier said:

British PM Eyes Banning Gasoline and Diesel Car Sales

 

 

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to unveil a green 10-point plan on Wednesday, as he weighs controversial proposals to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars within a decade.

The much anticipated policy document has already been delayed at least twice and could be moved again. It is currently scheduled for Nov. 18, people familiar with the matter said.

The government is considering bringing forward the current 2040 prohibition on the sale of gas and diesel cars to 2035, or earlier. The BBC and the Financial Times on Saturday reported that the ban will come into effect in 2030, with hybrid cars barred from 2035. However, three senior government officials said no decision had been taken yet.

Johnson promised a self-styled green industrial revolution to meet a law calling for net-zero emissions by 2050, and this week set a target to create 2 million green jobs by 2030. He is seeking to balance car industry concerns with climate goals at a time when the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic threatens to weigh on long-term growth.

Research by Greenpeace and Green Alliance shows that only a 2030 ban, which also covers plug-in hybrids, would put the U.K. on track to meeting its target of reaching net-zero by the middle of the century.

The car industry has warned that a 2030 ban “could have a devastating impact on the U.K. automotive industry” at a time when it’s already dealing with uncertainty caused by Brexit and the pandemic. Britain’s recovery is trailing behind the world’s major industrialized nations and the economy was still almost 10% smaller than before the pandemic, in the three months through September, according to data released Thursday,

As the host of the next round of global climate change talks, known as COP26, Johnson is under particular pressure to show leadership on tackling climate change by setting out domestic policies that will drive down emissions. The government this week once again delayed a key energy white paper that could include financing plans for nuclear power, hydrogen and carbon capture and storage technology. These technologies are key to reducing pollution, but too expensive to work without subsidization.

He is also expected to announce a new 2030 climate change target ahead of a Dec. 12 United Nations summit, which is required by all countries under the terms of the 2015 Paris Agreement.

 

Pathetic puppet to the WEF crowd. He's lost it. Boris, there is no reason to have targets and goals and prohibitions. the  UK is rounding error in global emissions. The only legitimate target for climate change policy  is China. It is easy, DON'T have a trade relationship with China and your imported carbon footprint will be reduced by more than going all in on EVs by next week would..

UK should withdraw from all climate related commitments and treaties/accords/MOUs. Let others pay up for stumbling and falling on their face and go in when the economic math is robust and the tech reliable.The scare mongers at the WEF and UN are all driven by China's attempt to capture resources for itself, because is is pathetically inefficient in its green tech. They lead in banging their heads against the wall. Returns on their solar investment is half of what it is in the US and 30% less of what it is in the UK. They will only be "green" when 1/3 of their population dies off to 2050.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Europe climate group calls for end to subsidies for plug-in hybrid cars

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/europe-climate-group-calls-end-153816648.html

 

Why not there the cheapest way to cut FF in half 🤔.... these people are crazy. Now Nat gas generator with Electric drive would be sweet or LPG hybrid.  one can only imagine truly green products tho. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.