Tesla in Autopilot Mode Hits Parked Police SUV

A Tesla vehicle with its Autopilot system activated crashed into an unoccupied, parked police SUV in California.  The police vehicle was a total loss, and the Tesla driver suffered minor injuries. Luckily, an officer was not in the cruiser when the crash occurred. There was another collision in the same area last year, when a Tesla crashed into a semi-truck. How many accidents did Tesla have till now? Four, five? But who's counting. Are we really ready for this Autopilot mode?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I listen about this autopilot systems I more convinced that we don't need this kind of technology. So what's the point of that when I need to be more focused on driving with autopilot than without it. I know I would be more anxious thinking if there is a car parked next to the  road and  will my car be able to avoid it. Do I need this kind of a stress? No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Guessing someone wasn't paying attention! Crazy, Tesla owners are told that they still need to pay attention. Was he / she napping? I think buyers should do an IQ test before purchasing these cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


People are quick to blame Tesla or any tech.  But what about the bonehead drivers who put their car on "autopilot" and then stop paying attention? Blame the driver not autopilot. In the end humans should be in control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure that even if you pay attention while driving on autopilot mode  it would end up differently. How do we know for sure that even with our complete attention there would be enough time to turn the car on the other side to avoid a crash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone remind me what is the purpose of this autopilot? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


No matter if we want these cars or not, they are the future that is surely coming. Maybe not so soon, but surely for about 10 years. It was the same with previous tech achievements. We were very skeptical about it but they came anyway. Of course these cars need improvements to ensure more reliable traffic safety. But in the end, we don't need to blame tech for collisions but drivers who were not paying attention.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stormysaga said:

Can someone remind me what is the purpose of this autopilot? 

 

1 minute ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:


No matter if we want these cars or not, they are the future that is surely coming. Maybe not so soon, but surely for about 10 years. It was the same with previous tech achievements. We were very skeptical about it but they came anyway. Of course these cars need improvements to ensure more reliable traffic safety. But in the end, we don't need to blame tech for collisions but drivers who were not paying attention.  

 

3 minutes ago, Stormysaga said:

Can someone remind me what is the purpose of this autopilot? 

If drivers still have to pay attention I don't get the point. If I have to pay attention and have to keep my hands on the wheel at all times anyway what does it do?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying that there have been 2 autopilot crashes, or even 20 is meaningless. Not because the drivers are told to still pay attention and some are watching movies...

But because we could only compare crashes per mile driven, against the average human without autopilot. The average texting, smoking, gawking, chatting, eating, kid disciplining human. 

Then there are the humans that are drunk, stoned, depressed, sleep deprived, sick and on prescription meds that affect judgment.

As the technology develops it will save more lives than are lost in war, suicide and terrorism put together.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stormysaga said:

Can someone remind me what is the purpose of this autopilot? 

So that you can go to sleep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily the owner of this tesla did not know how to engage the AutoAvoidResponsibility mode.

Once engaged if the vehicle detects that an incident has occurred it will return to home post haste and insist on being recharged. You cannot reengage normal useage until you have checked the auto responsibility box on the updated terms of use.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Automatic braking is becoming more common place, and I've experienced in a friends car a few times (2 demos and 1 relief save). Why doesn't the Tesla have an independent system for automatic braking that can override autopilot mode braking?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jason Lavis said:

Saying that there have been 2 autopilot crashes, or even 20 is meaningless. Not because the drivers are told to still pay attention and some are watching movies...

But because we could only compare crashes per mile driven, against the average human without autopilot. The average texting, smoking, gawking, chatting, eating, kid disciplining human. 

Then there are the humans that are drunk, stoned, depressed, sleep deprived, sick and on prescription meds that affect judgment.

As the technology develops it will save more lives than are lost in war, suicide and terrorism put together.

 

Well put @Jason Lavis. Couldn't agree anymore. 

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

  • Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
  • An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
  • Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
  • Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
  • Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's play Tesla poker.

Straight flush beats a full house.

Tesla Model S Crashes Into Parked Cars After Starting On Its Own

Another day, another mysterious Tesla vehicle crash...

Bloomberg reports that a Tesla vehicle crashed into five parked cars in the Brussels borough of Saint-Gilles Tuesday, with the driver reportedly having said he was outside the car, with the engine running, as it drove away.

Police said it received a call for an incident involving a Tesla and other cars in the early evening of May 29, but did not intervene as the owners decided to handle the case through their insurance companies, Kathleen Calie, a spokeswoman for Brussels South police, said by phone.

As Le Soir reports, according to the police, the owner of the vehicle was outside the car, busy closing the gate of his agency while the engine was running. The Tesla then set off on its own, crashing into other cars parked nearby before finishing off at a Dacia Logan across the street.

Tesla has denied the driver's version of events...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites