JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

21 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

It will also have a chance to reconfigure in light of rapid cost increases to batteries. We are already seeing the beginnings of battery price increases due to supply constraints.

Yes, and I have already given up on getting a Ford Maverick Hybrid this year. The supply chain is still screwed up and prices will increase. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

Then I think that the public needs to be educated as do many politicians or the whole world could be thrown into a deathly chaos. The Third Word might be better prepared for survival than the the First or Second. 

For a lot of folks it's not a matter of education - they simply don't have the same values as you or I.  They may be more price sensitive.  For many others it's a matter of principal - they don't want 'big companies' to get any more of their money than necessary.  For the vast majority though, they simply have too many other things to do, and worry about them - they just pick the cheapest option for stuff like electricity which they don't care about. 

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

I gave you the contents above, so how can you not read it? The chart may not show up for you, but take my word, coal production has been consistently rising in China for the past SEVEN YEARS, this is no temporary trend.

I got into the article.  My point is it's rising slowly (and unevenly - it has NOT been a steady rise for 7 years) but still below the high (from 10 years ago) and that's with this massive effort and incredibly high prices.  If they do in fact beat their previous high, then I'll happily concede, but I really don't think they can.  

1 minute ago, Eric Gagen said:

For a lot of folks it's not a matter of education - they simply don't have the same values as you or I.  They may be more price sensitive.  For many others it's a matter of principal - they don't want 'big companies' to get any more of their money than necessary.  For the vast majority though, they simply have too many other things to do, and worry about them - they just pick the cheapest option for stuff like electricity which they don't care about. 

I think that leadership is needed. That is the only way that people come to accept something that is really good for them. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The weather is not cooperating with the Green Agenda, all that hot air about global warming is turning into frigid air. It's getting cold!

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/US-Natural-Gas-Prices-Jump-On-High-Demand.html

"Natural gas prices reflected expected high to very high demand for space heating and electricity in the United States in the coming days. According to estimates from NatGasWeather.com for the week January 26 to February 2, national natural gas demand is expected to be strong through the weekend as a series of frigid blasts sweep across the Midwest, Plains, and East with snow showers and frosty lows of -20s to 20s. Lows between teens and the 30s in Texas and the South, along with rain and snow showers, will also lift demand for natural gas. The colder Mountain West will see highs in 10s to 40s with lows of -0s to 30s. Overall, NatGasWeather predicts high to very high national demand through the weekend. Moreover, higher American LNG exports with more cargoes going to energy-starved Europe is also tightening domestic U.S. supply, which has been relatively flat recently."

natgasweather.com sounds like a great site.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

A bit of history, Ecoboost was developed on the Ford/Cosgsworth engine design meaning extremely well balanced and very tight tolerances.

Fast forward to say 94? The Ford coyote v8 was finally ready for release. Both Ecoboost and the v8 were released at the same time. The coyote team was enraged, that little v6 just handed them their lunch.

What they didn't realize Ecoboost tech could be implemented on the v8 design, think 700hp and 800 ft lbs of tourqe in a 5.0.

All made possible by variable cam timing and direct injection....By the way it also put a end to Ford's hybrid/EV tech...Another shit storm.

Please flesh out your last paragraph. I do not understand it. The hybrids are coming as soon as Ford can make them. I had to reconsider waiting for one. The next Maverick will be a 2023. The hybrid and the Ecoboost are both in high demand. 

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I do not think it is wasteful. I think that not having any redundancy is very dangerous to our way of life which is totally dependent on electricity to meet the most basic of needs. 

I think it’s called reserve margin. Texas typically runs a 13%-15% reserve margin on their grid. So yea, very expensive. Then with a big storm you need a robust, high quality system where you can shut off electricity to non essential customers and only use electricity for critical customers. That’s partly where Texas failed. Some states run a reserve margin closer to 30% which is very expensive but much safer. I’ll drop the politics for today but this is where the conversation should be. How much storage should we have vrs idle nat gas plants sitting around waiting on a ten year storm. 

• Like 1

You can Google grid reserve margin by state.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boat said:

I think it’s called reserve margin. Texas typically runs a 13%-15% reserve margin on their grid. So yea, very expensive. Then with a big storm you need a robust, high quality system where you can shut off electricity to non essential customers and only use electricity for critical customers. That’s partly where Texas failed. Some states run a reserve margin closer to 30% which is very expensive but much safer. I’ll drop the politics for today but this is where the conversation should be. How much storage should we have vrs idle nat gas plants sitting around waiting on a ten year storm. 

Where does battery storage fit into the equation in the future?

49 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/investor-clash-gas-nuclear-muddies-eu-green-finance-drive-2022-01-26/ Greenies trying to stop expansion of natural gas and nuclear plants in Europe. 

I told you not to call me a greenie, lol. National security trumps pollution and climate change. That’s where I draw the line. Nuke in GA yet another Republican disaster filled with promises and government money with incomplete results and 10 years late and counting. 
I am not against the idea of nuclear. But the problems of waste and cost need to be solved. Solve that and that’s a great base-load if you have the long term water to spare. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Where does battery storage fit into the equation in the future?

Renewables with batteries can handle all non critical electrical needs including electric cars and air conditioning. They can also handle base load if your far enough south to avoid winter storms like in Texas. A state or area would have to be aware of floods, hurricanes etc. I am no expert at determining how much nat gas reserve margin that sits around and does nothing waiting on a 10 year flood. Nat gas still seems to be the best option. Just don’t have Texas manage it.

The state needs to let the public decide. Like we can supply 2 days worth of electricity with the grid and batteries for this price. If you want 10 days of reserve margin it would be x price. Instead of name calling being practical would be smarter. I don’t think politicians are smart enough to think like that though. 

• Like 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

I got into the article.  My point is it's rising slowly (and unevenly - it has NOT been a steady rise for 7 years) but still below the high (from 10 years ago) and that's with this massive effort and incredibly high prices.  If they do in fact beat their previous high, then I'll happily concede, but I really don't think they can.  

The issue is not beating all-time highs, but whether or not Chinese coal production is increasing for the long haul. It clearly is, and the reduced environmental commitment of China and India at the recent conference makes that clear.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Please flesh out your last paragraph. I do not understand it. The hybrids are coming as soon as Ford can make them. I had to reconsider waiting for one. The next Maverick will be a 2023. The hybrid and the Ecoboost are both in high demand. 

By the way it also put a end to Ford's hybrid/EV tech...Another shit storm.

The above is your concern? 

That was merely a reference to the past, Ford at one time developed the Escape and the Fusion using hybrid/EV tech. They were both unsustainable and Ford dropped both platform's

Alan Mulally Fords new CEO [2005/2006] implemented Ecoboost tech as the future not green tech.

The current move back to EV's will not be shut down  with the same speed..LMAO at least I don't believe so. 

Below

Everything was green. Mulally thought that was odd for a company losing billions.”

https://www.markerbench.com/blog/2013/02/21/Mulally-leadership/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boat said:

Renewables with batteries can handle all non critical electrical needs including electric cars and air conditioning. They can also handle base load if your far enough south to avoid winter storms like in Texas. A state or area would have to be aware of floods, hurricanes etc. I am no expert at determining how much nat gas reserve margin that sits around and does nothing waiting on a 10 year flood. Nat gas still seems to be the best option. Just don’t have Texas manage it.

The state needs to let the public decide. Like we can supply 2 days worth of electricity with the grid and batteries for this price. If you want 10 days of reserve margin it would be x price. Instead of name calling being practical would be smarter. I don’t think politicians are smart enough to think like that though. 

I can’t think of many issues that would be worse for the public to do than vote on electrical grid reserve margins.  It’s technically obscure, subject to heavy lobbying by groups who want it to be a small number, difficult to calculate what a good or bad number is, and by the time you figure out you got It wrong, it will be years (maybe even a decade or two) before you can undo the mess, while dealing with electricity shortages all along the way.  This is a classic sort of example of a problem that really does need to be properly organized and set up by a boring panel of expert economists and engineers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Gagen said:

I can’t think of many issues that would be worse for the public to do than vote on electrical grid reserve margins.  It’s technically obscure, subject to heavy lobbying by groups who want it to be a small number, difficult to calculate what a good or bad number is, and by the time you figure out you got It wrong, it will be years (maybe even a decade or two) before you can undo the mess, while dealing with electricity shortages all along the way.  This is a classic sort of example of a problem that really does need to be properly organized and set up by a boring panel of expert economists and engineers.  

Politicians would probably have to be sold on it by industry leaders who really care about the continued reliability of the system under stress. Possible problems involve fires, sabotage, weather, unexpected demand etc. 

The best solution for large long range trucks, buses, and RVs. 

http://www.ngvglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Growth-NGVs-to-end-2019.jpg

13 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Personally I don't think it is either,  and I would be happy to pay a 'surcharge' say an extra 10% on my electric bill each month for grid hardening, redunant power plants, fuel stocks, etc.  

Sadlly the average member of the public disagrees, literally violently (as witnessed with protests and riots in Europe over high utility bills) with you and I, and the people who run utility companies will do the absolute minimum to meet legal requirements of this sort, because they are regulated, and don't get to charge extra for improvements beyond the letter of the law.  

Eric in Europe household utility bills have been going up steadily year on year by 10% or more in many cases. The reason people are literally rioting in the streets now is because they are set to go up 50% or more, old people are going to die as they cant afford to heat their homes, poorer people become poorer or homeless. I'm sure any nation would have riots in the streets if that happenened in their backyard.

• Great Response! 2

(edited)

24 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Eric in Europe household utility bills have been going up steadily year on year by 10% or more in many cases. The reason people are literally rioting in the streets now is because they are set to go up 50% or more, old people are going to die as they cant afford to heat their homes, poorer people become poorer or homeless. I'm sure any nation would have riots in the streets if that happenened in their backyard.

The severity of the energy crisis in the EU is being severely hidden by the press

It is my own opinion it is the very foundation for Putin barnstorming the Ukraine. Where else in the world is the EU going to get gas to power their grid. The guy is bullet proof and he is well aware of it.

This green movement is virtually pulling back the world to medieval times.

Where Is Germany in the Ukraine Standoff? Its Allies Wonder.

Germany’s allies have begun to question what price Berlin is prepared to pay to deter Russia, and even its reliability as an ally, as it wavers on tough measures.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/world/europe/germany-russia-nato-ukraine.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Great Response! 2

11 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

The severity of the energy crisis in the EU is being severely hidden by the press

It is my own opinion it is the very foundation for Putin barnstorming the Ukraine. Where else in the world is the EU going to get gas to power their grid. The guy is bullet proof and he is well aware of it.

This green movement is virtually pulling back the world to medieval times.

Where Is Germany in the Ukraine Standoff? Its Allies Wonder.

Germany’s allies have begun to question what price Berlin is prepared to pay to deter Russia, and even its reliability as an ally, as it wavers on tough measures.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/world/europe/germany-russia-nato-ukraine.html

EWO that is spot on!

The energy crisis in Europe is only going to get worse and Putin has Germany (the EU powerhouse) over a barrel or maybe that should be over a gas pipeline or 2.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

EWO that is spot on!

The energy crisis in Europe is only going to get worse and Putin has Germany (the EU powerhouse) over a barrel or maybe that should be over a gas pipeline or 2.

The Smart Alec president of France greatly aggravated the energy problem in Europe,for his own glory. He thought that he could count on his nuclear power until a couple of reactors broke down at the worst possible time and left France needing fossil-fueled power. Goldman-Sachs are making billions in energy speculation,at the public expense. Emmanuel Macron used to work for Goldman-Sachs. What a coincidence!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Public voting may be a step to far. But I would disagree it should be technically obscure. That’s why you need experience at the helm with mandated reports. You can’t have a cheap reserve and a resilient long duration reserve. This is what I have learned. You think politicians have? Now what is the right course? Ignore the delima like they did 10 years ago and rely on obscurity and luck? How many dead and how many billions damage can be avoided for what price. Seems like a reasonable question.

• Like 1

I love it when Climate Deniers go nuts.  It is a local trip.

• Like 1

Being a former engineer for a large power company and having earned a Master of Science in Energy and the Environment, I had PV panels installed six years ago, with my estimated payback of 15-17 years, . . the right thing for an eco-freak to do. Before they could be installed, we acquired a VW e-Golf electric car. The savings in gasoline alone took the solar system payback down to 3 1/2 years. So, we added a used Tesla Model S, P85, and that took the payback down to less than three years, which means we now get free power for household and transportation.

But that is not all: We do not need to go to gas stations, we fuel up at home at night with cheap baseload power. During the daytime, the PV system turns our meter backwards powering the neighborhood with clean local power, which we trade for the stuff to be used that night. If we paid for transportation fuel, the VW would cost us 4 cents/mile to drive, and the Tesla would cost 5 cents/mile at California off-peak power prices.

No oil changes are a real treat along with no leaks. And since it has an electric motor, it needs NO ENGINE MAINTENANCE at all. We do not go "gas up", or get tune-ups or emissions checks, have no transmission about which to worry, no complicated machined parts needing care. The future got here a few years ago, but many were too busy screaming political nonsense.

• Like 1