turbguy

Will Iron-Air batteries REALLY change things?

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

It seems like these gas compression and midstream companies have high dividends. Something to do with a common business model? I've always wondered. 

Something to do with long-term contracts, more like.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Something to do with long-term contracts, more like.

Like fixed pricing for services over a time period? 

3 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

It seems like these gas compression and midstream companies have high dividends. Something to do with a common business model? I've always wondered. 

They are utility companies they move energy from a place where it is produced (oil and gas fields) to places where there are people who consume it.  Unless they face ruinous competition from other pipeline providers or means of transport, they have a natural monopoly on their areas of service, and they are regulated accordingly. Unless they see obvious high margin growth opportunities they typically have a high dividend just like other utilities. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

They are utility companies they move energy from a place where it is produced (oil and gas fields) to places where there are people who consume it.  Unless they face ruinous competition from other pipeline providers or means of transport, they have a natural monopoly on their areas of service, and they are regulated accordingly. Unless they see obvious high margin growth opportunities they typically have a high dividend just like other utilities. 

I didn't know they were akin to utilities. That really explains a lot. 

Look at the coulombic efficiency.  Quite low, I think.  So the storage might take an acre, but the solar panels (for instance) to run it might take many times that.  Maybe that's not a deal-killer, but it's something to consider.