ronwagn

Hawaii's Energy Use and Imagined Future

(edited)

All Renewables Hoax in Hawaii

LNG would be the best bet for Hawaii if it wants to have clean air. Solar and Wind are eyesores on those small islands. There is no appropriate place for them unless beyond the horizon offshore. Maybe solar would be OK on flat top buildings. Hawaii lives on tourism and beautiful scenery. I just returned from visiting three of the Hawaiian Islands. One guide told us that 40% of Kauai's power came from burning an unwanted species of tree that had been imported from Africa. It grew too tall on Kauai and was dangerous due to shallow roots. Africa had those trees in a dry savanna type area. 

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/07/15/another-all-renewables-hoax-busted-wind-powered-hawaii-really-runs-on-fossil-fuels/

Edited by ronwagn
add

Rendering of the Kapolei Energy Storage facility

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Crews broke ground in west Oahu on Wednesday on what will be the state’s largest stand-alone battery system.

Independent developer, Plus Power, said the Kapolei Energy Storage facility will eventually take over the power load from the AES coal plant, providing a more environmentally friendly source for electricity.

The 185 mega-watt lithium-ion battery will be tied into the grid to provide solar and wind power energy at night to Hawaiian Electric customers.

“It’s gonna provide all sorts of reliability services for the grid, combo of load shifting, fast frequency response, grid forming services, as well as black start capability in the event of an island-wide outage,” said Bob Rudd, head of Origination and Commercial Transactions at Plus Power.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/08/12/groundbreaking-begins-kapolei-states-largest-stand-alone-battery-system/

On 8/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, ronwagn said:

All Renewables Hoax in Hawaii

LNG would be the best bet for Hawaii if it wants to have clean air. Solar and Wind are eyesores on those small islands. There is no appropriate place for them unless beyond the horizon offshore. Maybe solar would be OK on flat top buildings. Hawaii lives on tourism and beautiful scenery. I just returned from visiting three of the Hawaiian Islands. One guide told us that 40% of Kauai's power came from burning an unwanted species of tree that had been imported from Africa. It grew too tall on Kauai and was dangerous due to shallow roots. Africa had those trees in a dry savanna type area. 

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/07/15/another-all-renewables-hoax-busted-wind-powered-hawaii-really-runs-on-fossil-fuels/

Rom until I got where I can't travel any more I owned a1/4 interest in a condo a Kihei. The wind turbines were on the NE side of the west Maui mountains where it rains 200 in. /year. so no wind turbines were visible unless  you wanted to go into the jungle or drove the old Hana highway.  Haleakala and the west Maui mountains project a rain shadow so Kihei gets  8-10" per year as it is shielded by the rain shadow. You could.  not see the wind farms on most of the islands(unless you like monsoons) as the tourist side is on the dry side of each island.