MP

Microbes can provide sustainable hydrocarbons for the petrochemical industry

(edited)

20 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Your table is 100% near fabrication.  Obvious lies.  Lets just take the most obvious of lies,... everything that grows where corn grows is better.... ALL grow on fields where corn grows and are VASTLY SUPERIOR according to your brain dead lying table...  If any of that were true, 50% of the corn grown specifically for Ethanol/oil products would NEVER BE grown.  And as I already posted elsewhere your diesel tree in said table actually produces ZERO or up to 1 liter at best per year and you can get maybe 100 such trees on an acre producing zero for 30 years before starting to produce and then drop back to ZERO after 30 years.  What factor that is off by is well over 1000...  Only 3 orders of magnitude.  A ***slight*** error...

PS: we have tables for Hemp, flax, rape verses corn.  Only in the best soil conditions can hemp/flax in terms of oil for diesel not ethanol, beat corn.  Everywhere else it is equal or worse.  Now modern genetics have not been applied to most of these crops like corn/soybeans have so... they should have room to grow in comparison.  Of course Corn after use in ethanol plants gets fed to the cows whereas the byproduct of say hemp, etc goes where???  They are more woody plants so unless we start raising millions upon millions of goats... we have a problem.  No one needs that much hemp fiber or hurd around. 

PPS: Yes, all nuts are superior for pretty much everything, as ANYTHING high in protein is superior for diesel production, the problem with your wikipedia table is their collection per acre/hectare is MASSIVELY off. 

Evidently you got upset about the table without reading the comment at the top of the table

"The following table shows the vegetable oil yields of common energy crops associated with biodiesel production. Included is growing zone data, relevant to farmers and agricultural scientists. This is unrelated to ethanol production, which relies on starch, sugar and cellulose content instead of oil yields."

Diesel production and ethanol production don't utilize the same parts of a plant, or the same processing.  It says so in the table.  Indeed, this table is WHY corn is used for ethanol production, but not biodiesel production - it's not suitable for diesel production.  

High protein in nuts is not an indication that they are good for diesel production - it's a happy accident.  Palm oil and avocado also have a lot of oil production and their protein contents are terrible. 

Edited by Eric Gagen
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Asylum in Finland, quick! EPA is dispatching armed agents as we speak!

"All of the above" when the price is too high for other energy options. I owned a corn stove back when corn "maize" was about $2 per bushel back in 2006. I purchased it from a grain elevator a few hundred yards from my old house in a town of 500 people. Natural gas prices were high then. 

6 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Evidently you got upset about the table without reading the comment at the top of the table

"The following table shows the vegetable oil yields of common energy crops associated with biodiesel production. Included is growing zone data, relevant to farmers and agricultural scientists. This is unrelated to ethanol production, which relies on starch, sugar and cellulose content instead of oil yields."

Diesel production and ethanol production don't utilize the same parts of a plant, or the same processing.  It says so in the table.  Indeed, this table is WHY corn is used for ethanol production, but not biodiesel production - it's not suitable for diesel production.  

High protein in nuts is not an indication that they are good for diesel production - it's a happy accident.  Palm oil and avocado also have a lot of oil production and their protein contents are terrible. 

Playing make believe that one only wants veg oil vrs ethanol or methanol is beyond stupid and why I replied..All studies show diesel oil potential + Ethanol potential.  If you wish to bury your head in the ground, ok.  Of course this whole discussion is beyond stupid as there is no way to biologically produce enough fuel even if the entire world had ag land as good as the USA/Brazil/India/France/Sumatra. 

10 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Playing make believe that one only wants veg oil vrs ethanol or methanol is beyond stupid and why I replied..All studies show diesel oil potential + Ethanol potential.  If you wish to bury your head in the ground, ok.  Of course this whole discussion is beyond stupid as there is no way to biologically produce enough fuel even if the entire world had ag land as good as the USA/Brazil/India/France/Sumatra. 

Studies?  What studies?  We are talking about a chart of oil production potential for various crops from Wikipedia.  I don’t have a study of anything to reference.  Nor do I believe that a major fraction of demand for liquid fuels will come from agricultural production.  

On 11/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Not convinced about ethanol either. Plants used for massive production thereof (corn, sugarcane, etc), tend to generate massive amounts of straw-like cellulose-rich waste, which takes a lot longer than one season to "biodegrade" (rot) Therefore, the only practical means of getting rid of it quick is to burn it.

If you take my approach, you blast the straw with superheated steam for synthesis gas generation. Treat it like coal. If you have to burn it, power generation is just fine too. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

I think you can place a good dent in oil derived supply. Maybe 10%. I wouldn't do away with biofuel entirely. I just get annoyed with the fairytale attitudes about CO2 or N2 fixation.

2 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

If you take my approach, you blast the straw with superheated steam for synthesis gas generation. Treat it like coal. If you have to burn it, power generation is just fine too. 

Inconvenient, due to low density.