Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

3 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

You don't do any math.  You make up estimates, they are all round numbers, no real data, no calculations.

Do some actual math! "~10,000miles of track if not 20,000"  Is that math?  No. Math would give you one number, like 11,324 miles.  Try it sometime.

If you asked this guy to add 2+2 he would say "~3 if not 6" and then pretend he is the math expert.

Way to prove you are a loser. What are the first 4 words in my post you idioticly quoted?

Bravo! Clown, Bravo!

On 1/13/2024 at 7:18 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Way to prove you are a loser. What are the first 4 words in my post you idioticly quoted?

Bravo! Clown, Bravo!

What is weird is you actually think that if all trains were underground then it would all be perfectly safe, it just isnt and TailingsPond has given you some examples.

I remember well the Kings Cross fire which killed 31 people in London.

(edited)

On 1/13/2024 at 12:18 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Bravo! Clown, Bravo!

What you did is not math, it's just making up numbers with such a huge range on your estimate it is of no value.  You probably forget how math class works, you get zero points if you don't show your work and the answer has to be one number not some large range.

"~10,000miles of track if not 20,000" 

Might as well say "~zero if not infinity."

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

10 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

What is weird is you actually think that if all trains were underground then it would all be perfectly safe, it just isnt and TailingsPond has given you some examples.

I remember well the Kings Cross fire which killed 31 people in London.

Wrong thread genius.  This is about tonnage mining required to go solar.  I did the calc using NREL data using ONLY solar and common recycle rates for materials and solar placed in the BEST place in the USA, and did the calc for ONLY the USA Eastern Grid and did not even include tonnage required for batteries or gargantuan HVDC lines from SW USA..  Of course... you can't read either it appears... What a <<SHOCK>>

Sales boys can't read or do math.  Call me << SHOCKED!!>>

EDIT: No wonder never heard of Kings Cross 31 dead... happened in a WOODEN section for passengers escalator... LOL   How dumb do they have to be?  I know you can't read But did I say ANYTHING about passengers in said tunnels?  And has there been another Kings Cross since then?  Nope. And.. Nope, I specifically said freight in a DIFFERENT thread(especially as USA does not have passenger trains worth mentioning as it is an anchronistic idiotic way to travel using the old tech unless you have gargantuan time to WASTE when on vacation)  Japan with SEPARATE freight/passenger lines elevated or put below ground is the ONLY way to go.  I know you can't read or think for yourself, but this post of yours takes the cake. 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:11 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

See my previous post USING Japan/Switzerland numbers using worlds best tech... MAGLEV for Shits sake and 400km/h.    Enjoy reality when not tunneling under  giant cities foundations of giant billion dollar buildings on the ocean   ~$1 Trillion USD using Swiss/Japan numbers would obtain ~10,000miles of track if not 20,000.  Enjoy reality. 

Are you ALWAYS so lazy you can't do basic math?

in other words you have no real experience at all in tunnels shafts mines.......how bout digging a hole bigger than a fence post????

Any heavy earthworks experience??????

dude their is a reason rail tracks are left on the surface   ...everywhere except in extreme cases

IE Subways

and rail tunnels unbuildable surface locations

like the Chunnel project

24 minutes ago, notsonice said:

in other words you have no real experience at all in tunnels shafts mines.......how bout digging a hole bigger than a fence post????

Any heavy earthworks experience??????

dude their is a reason rail tracks are left on the surface   ...everywhere except in extreme cases

Are you going to be #1 HONEST and use MATH, on this THREAD topic/talk about Solar tonnage mineral increases required on a yearly basis or continue to be

#2 DISHONEST and run away like a COWARD from the topic?

20 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Are you going to be #1 HONEST and use MATH, on this THREAD topic/talk about Solar tonnage mineral increases required on a yearly basis or continue to be

#2 DISHONEST and run away like a COWARD from the topic?

you keep babbling about building massive tunnels

and you have no experience whatsover

how much mining experience do you have????

43-101 experience?????? IE when you start talking about Solar tonnage mineral increases required on a yearly basis you should have some real knowledge of the projects in the works and deposits around the world....where exploration is at these days

Show up at PDAC spend a little bank and learn where the lithium and copper business is heading these days

image.png.ab8399ab0815d8119c12dde07247a331.png

Official Website Of PDAC 2024 — Access internship and job opportunities from Canadian and international mining companies. The World's Premier Mineral Exploration & Mining Convention, March 3-6, 2024 in Toronto.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

EDIT: No wonder never heard of Kings Cross 31 dead... happened in a WOODEN section for passengers escalator... LOL   How dumb do they have to be?  I know you can't read But did I say ANYTHING about passengers in said tunnels?  And has there been another Kings Cross since then?  Nope. And.. Nope, I specifically said freight in a DIFFERENT thread(especially as USA does not have passenger trains worth mentioning as it is an anchronistic idiotic way to travel using the old tech unless you have gargantuan time to WASTE when on vacation)  Japan with SEPARATE freight/passenger lines elevated or put below ground is the ONLY way to go.  I know you can't read or think for yourself, but this post of yours takes the cake. 

You are posting the same BS across multiple threads.

The New York subway alone moves millions of people everyday and a good portion of the residents do not own cars at all. They are clearly worth mentioning.

https://new.mta.info/agency/new-york-city-transit/subway-bus-ridership-2022

If you see the quoted text you will see that you are talking about underground passenger trains. How do all those Japanese passengers get down to those underground trains? 

You know those underground trains also made for a perfect environment to trap smoke or other toxic gasses either from an accident or terror attack (which happened).  Surface trains allow for much easier egress and have much better ventilation when accidents or attacks happen (and they will).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

Try harder.

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Whats the point, you refuse to do math

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Whats the point, you refuse to do math

Once again you never do math, you make up numbers; made up numbers are not math other that numbers are involved.

However, I will accept your capitulation.

• Great Response! 1

12 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Wrong thread genius.  This is about tonnage mining required to go solar.  I did the calc using NREL data using ONLY solar and common recycle rates for materials and solar placed in the BEST place in the USA, and did the calc for ONLY the USA Eastern Grid and did not even include tonnage required for batteries or gargantuan HVDC lines from SW USA..  Of course... you can't read either it appears... What a <<SHOCK>>

Sales boys can't read or do math.  Call me << SHOCKED!!>>

Wow you really are a troubled soul arent you

Were you bullied at school? Thats if you went of course.

You clearly cant do math like any government anywhere in the world otherwise they might actually consider putting all rail underground. If you think thats a good cost effective way to spend tax payers money then youre far more stupid than even I gave you credit.

Wonder why its not happening .... hmmmm

• Upvote 1

reNEWS

https://renews.biz/90680/europe-installs-42gw-offshore-wind-in-2023/

Europe celebrates 4.2GW record offshore wind haul

New capacity additions in 2023 were up 40% on the year before, according to WindEurope

18 January 2024 14:00 Offshore Wind [Image: Van Oord]

Europe’s offshore wind industry brought online a record 4200MW of offshore wind capacity in 2023.

The amount was up 40% on the 1.7GW installed in 2022, according to figures published by WindEurope.

Of the 4.2GW, 3GW was installed in the EU.

The Netherlands, France and the UK installed the most new capacity, including the 1.5GW Hollandse Kust Zuid project in the Netherlands.

Offshore wind investments in Europe also reached a new record.

A total of €30bn was raised across eight wind farm projects, which will This will finance 9GW of new offshore capacity.

This record comes after legal uncertainty and unhelpful market intervention had led to a drop in offshore wind investments, falling to an all-time low of €400m in 2022.

It also means that projects which had to postpone their final investment decision in 2022 are now moving ahead.

In 2023 the European Union also published its EU Wind Power Package with 15 immediate actions to support the European wind sector.

In addition 26 European Governments signed the European Wind Charter, committing to swiftly implement the actions ascribed to them in the Wind Power Package.

Over in the UK the Government raised the ceiling price by 66% for the upcoming offshore auction round (AR6) which could help the UK attract record investment in offshore wind in 2024.

In the UK Orsted reached final investment decision on Europe’s biggest project, the 2.9GW Hornsea 3 offshore wind farm in the UK.

RWE acquired the 4.2GW Norfolk Offshore Wind Zone portfolio and underlined its determination to resume the 1.4GW Norfolk Boreas project, which has previously been halted.

If all countries run their 2024 auctions as planned at least 40GW will be auctioned this year. Germany, Denmark, the UK, France, and Netherlands are the top five countries auctioning capacity over the next two years.

Poland’s first commercial offshore wind farm, the 1.2GW Baltic Power project, reached final investment decision in 2023, marking the start of Poland’s offshore wind development plans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The best mix is to have 100 GW of nuclear power for 300 GW of solar power and 200 GW of wind power this is the best, and actually only way to go to zero carbon reality.

Many people are astonished that China still builds 300 GW of coal power, whereas it has already 1100 GW.

China uses 9200 TWh , over TWICE WHAT THE US IS USING of energy. China has top power of 1200 GW, whereas US only 600 GWh.

China needs a lot of coal and gas power to have in case of solar and wind is not working at the moment.

(edited)

the crash in US offshore wind??????

nope the project that was dead 6 months ago...................

Empire Wind 1 project, which successfully rebid into New York’s fourth offshore wind solicitation

rebid and now on path for construction

where is Ecochump he was jumping for joy 6 months ago

reNEWS

https://renews.biz/91700/vestas-confirms-empire-wind-1-conditional-order/

reNEWS

Vestas has confirmed a previous conditional agreement to supply turbines for Equinor’s 810MW Empire Wind 1 project, which successfully rebid into New York’s fourth offshore wind solicitation (NY4).

The project was part of a larger Preferred Supplier Agreement for the combined Empire Wind 1 and 2 projects which was announced by Vestas in October 2021.

With a conditional order in place for the 810MW Empire Wind 1 project, Vestas said it is “pleased to see the project moving one step closer to realisation and looks forward to providing its industry-leading, type-certified V236-15.0MW offshore wind turbines”.

Edited by notsonice

How far have we gotten?

Wind challenges coal, week after week.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Upvote 1

pesky solar panels and wind turbines

no need for more LNG plants 

Europe is on its path to eliminate the need to import LNG

image.png

17 hours ago, turbguy said:

How far have we gotten?

Wind challenges coal, week after week.

Clipboard01.jpg

must be depressing to be  a coal miner these days in the US

writing is on the wall.............Coal mine closures outpace new mines in the us 

In 2000, there were 2,124 active coal mines in the United States. By 2022, this amount decreased to 991 active coal mines.Oct 30, 2023

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 3/11/2024 at 9:39 AM, notsonice said:

must be depressing to be  a coal miner these days in the US

writing is on the wall.............Coal mine closures outpace new mines in the us 

In 2000, there were 2,124 active coal mines in the United States. By 2022, this amount decreased to 991 active coal mines.Oct 30, 2023

In the UK over the last year coal made up 1% of electricity generation

Renewables 36.9%

FF 33.9%

Nuclear 14.2%

Emissions/KWh have fallen from 505g to 152g over the last 12 years.

Renewables are king!

Past year below

image.thumb.png.5ae396bed5502ed14d3d95d846ee8ecd.png

Below is all time

image.png

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

In the UK over the last year coal made up 1% of electricity generation

Renewables 36.9%

FF 33.9%

Nuclear 14.2%

Renewables are king!

Past year below

image.thumb.png.5ae396bed5502ed14d3d95d846ee8ecd.png

Below is all time

image.png

Fantastic 

if you can do this in the UK 

every country on the planted can do the same

Carbon Intensity of Electricity: UK vs The World | AquaSwitch

13 hours ago, notsonice said:

Fantastic 

if you can do this in the UK 

every country on the planted can do the same

Carbon Intensity of Electricity: UK vs The World | AquaSwitch

It can be done whether its wind, solar hydro electric, nuclear.

image.png.cc7a48bdf75e1754f57e4e9d88cc8002.png

The UK is fortunate to be blessed with windy conditions pretty much year round, on the other hand we have bugger all sun (unfortunately).

Each geography needs to take advantage of whatever is the most economic source and in some cases none of the sources I list above are there. However SMR's do not need water so these may be an option in such areas going forward as they are scalable.

image.png.e197b42ad478f8a1883d9508def6c3f7.png

You can see what happened when Russia invaded Ukraine and NG went through the roof, thankfully generating costs are falling sharply now as renewables have overtaken NG as the primary source of powergen and the NG price has plummeted.