Trump's European trip: Trade wars, Brexit chaos, NATO "fight" — And A Russia Quandary

The rest of the world has been wondering whether President Donald Trump is truly intent on continuing to rattle relationships with long-standing allies while drawing America closer to Russia. This week, they'll get perhaps the best indication yet of his intentions. Trump arrived here today for the first leg of a weeklong trip in which he plans to ramp up pressure on other North Atlantic Treaty Organization countries to take more responsibility for their collective defense, sit down with both Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Theresa May in England amid "Brexit"-fueled chaos in May's government, and meet privately with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki. He does so in an environment defined by his foreign policy choices to date: the rising self-created tension between the U.S. and its European partners over tit-for-tat tariffs, his increasingly laissez-faire approach toward Russia's projection of physical and cyber power, and his explicit and implicit threats to diminish America's role in an alliance built to protect the rest of Europe from Moscow if partner nations don't pony up more cash. This trip gives Trump the chance to tilt back toward most of Europe, or inch closer to Russia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you remember G7 meeting in Canada? I hope this time will be much better..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we just watching first day with allies from EU and NATO this will be tough trip...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Just like Trump message to NATO: tough but with facts

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe that the European allies will "collide". Of course Germany is a leader country and Trump wants to show his strength just on them...But, between Germany as a loyal allies and Russia as an enemy my choice is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere in UK newspapers: brexiteers support Trump..52%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Petar said:

Yep. Just like Trump message to NATO: tough but with facts

Exactly. 

The USA pays 3.6% of GDP into its military. Germany barely exceeds 1% and is highly reliant on US and to some extent British defence welfare. 

Now if Germany was a poor country I would sympathise but its not. 

 

Coincidentally its on this issue that Theresa 'Oxygen Thief' May could have achieved an EU exit and free trade agreement witht he EU by the end of 2017. 

After several months of pointless negotiations simply walk out and say btw you have 3 months notice that the UK is pulling back all its forces to UK territory (no more air / sea policing) . Sorry E Europe - you best get yourselves some shoe shine kits and learn how to say please and thank you in Russian. 

Within 7 days the EU would have been back at the negotiating table with a reasonable offer. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, NickW said:

Exactly. 

The USA pays 3.6% of GDP into its military. Germany barely exceeds 1% and is highly reliant on US and to some extent British defence welfare. 

Now if Germany was a poor country I would sympathise but its not. 

 

Coincidentally its on this issue that Theresa 'Oxygen Thief' May could have achieved an EU exit and free trade agreement witht he EU by the end of 2017. 

After several months of pointless negotiations simply walk out and say btw you have 3 months notice that the UK is pulling back all its forces to UK territory (no more air / sea policing) . Sorry E Europe - you best get yourselves some shoe shine kits and learn how to say please and thank you in Russian. 

Within 7 days the EU would have been back at the negotiating table with a reasonable offer. 

Not really because the UK will remain in NATO whether in or out of the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Not really because the UK will remain in NATO whether in or out of the EU.

As the 2nd biggest force in NATO are they going to kick us out if we withdraw from E Europe? 

I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0