ML

Net zero nonsense

On 4/15/2023 at 12:02 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

The problem with this is only people who will take them are collectors who do not have the currency to trade in times of panic so what you are actually doing is a store of value against inflation(due to fiat printing) or complete collapse and hoping you can use them as barter with general public whom you ***hope*** will see their value as you do(they won't as there is not enough around for the average person to have adequate knowledge or a feel for value. 

Want a store of value?  Dried fruit, spices.  EDIT: You eat them anyways so may as well store them.  Their shelf life is effectively infinite in relation to your lifespan anyways.  Get a bee hive. 

You really over thanked that, I simply collect them for decades, my point was they are seen as a collectible item. I did not collect them as an investment or for use if world collapse.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:49 AM, markslawson said:

johathb - this is mostly wrong. If you buy the book you'll see why. Electricity prices have been increasing in Australia. Wholesale prices declined of a peak between 2018 and 2022 (I think) and since then have been increasing mostly because of the closure of those coal fired power stations you so decry. Sure some wind generators and such have been built but in nothing like the numbers that might replace those conventional generators, if renewables could replace fossil fuel plants. They can't. If you want to work out why then I suggest you search on the term "wind droughts" and start reading. Of late the lack of investment in renewables has become worse. In the quarter to December there was little investment, and it was almost as bad in March. I plan to write another thread pointing to the lack of investment. In the meantime maybe you could start reading. The Eastern Australian power grid is heading for a disaster.. 

So China quits buying products over politics from Australia. Kinda made your economy intermittent. You sell so much gas your own population can’t  afford what’s available so renewables became financially  viable. Pollution in large cities drive up health care costs and drive down quality of life. So once again is not that renewables are so great but how damaging and expensive FF’s can get. Are these points covered in your book? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RichieRich216 said:

You really over thanked that, I simply collect them for decades, my point was they are seen as a collectible item. I did not collect them as an investment or for use if world collapse.

HAHAHAHAHA...No I did not over **THANKed** that, nor did I overthink, rather you did NOT think.

If what you claim is true is TRUE, then you would NOT have replied as you did as it would have been MEANINGLESS. 

I have "collectibles" too... utterly meaningless to discussion of fiat currency manipulation

Try admitting, "I was wrong".  It is cathartic 

5 hours ago, Boat said:

So China quits buying products over politics from Australia. Kinda made your economy intermittent. You sell so much gas your own population can’t  afford what’s available so renewables became financially  viable. Pollution in large cities drive up health care costs and drive down quality of life. So once again is not that renewables are so great but how damaging and expensive FF’s can get. Are these points covered in your book? 

Sorry but most of this is well, I won't use the term "wrong" but I think you have completely misread the situation. First off China's export bans didn't actually do much. Some sectors had problems but mostly other buyers were found for Aus's exports. A lot of true blue Aussie barley went into Mexican beer and so on. The point about "pollution in large cities" is entirely your invention. Air care quality has been improving but this has nothing to do with electricity production, as all the major coal plants are far outside the cities. Its mostly about tail pipe emissions and enforcement of health regulations in cities and so on. The bit about selling gas offshore is also a misunderstanding. Australians have to pay international prices for gas which have been greatly boosted by external events (the war in Ukraine and so on), as well activist campaigns against new projects restricting supply. There have been moves to reserve parts of production for the domestic market, which will do more to restrict supply. I could say a great deal more but you get the idea.      

On 4/15/2023 at 1:52 AM, markslawson said:

Rob Plant - I dealt with Jonathb and it looks like I'll have to deal with you. Investment in renewables is tanking world-wide at the moment. I'll do another thread on it later, but that lack of investment is set to cause serious problems in later years, especially as activists in Aus are doing their best to throw away the back-up fossil fuel network. The renewable capacity they have at the moment is inadequate with too few new projects being started. Even if there was as you know solar and wind generators have a bad habit of going AWOL just when they're needed. Look up the term wind-droughts if you don't believe me, and keep in mind that when the wind dies it does so over a very wide area. As for hydrogen it is not possible to pour enough scorn on the use of this gas in the energy system, particularly for exports. If you want to store energy use a battery (these aren't much good either, but better than H2) or a pumped hydro facility (horribly expensive but the only viable means to date). If you want to send power anywhere use a transmission line. Why the investment in H2 projects? A very good question. It could be like those share market booms where everyone knows the shares are over-valued but are hoping to make their money and sell out before the bubble bursts.      

I keep posting examples, you keep posting unfounded opinion.

Keep it up its fun!

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, markslawson said:

Rob Plant - I dealt with Jonathb and it looks like I'll have to deal with you. Investment in renewables is tanking world-wide at the moment. I'll do another thread on it later, but that lack of investment is set to cause serious problems in later years, especially as activists in Aus are doing their best to throw away the back-up fossil fuel network. The renewable capacity they have at the moment is inadequate with too few new projects being started. Even if there was as you know solar and wind generators have a bad habit of going AWOL just when they're needed. Look up the term wind-droughts if you don't believe me, and keep in mind that when the wind dies it does so over a very wide area. As for hydrogen it is not possible to pour enough scorn on the use of this gas in the energy system, particularly for exports. If you want to store energy use a battery (these aren't much good either, but better than H2) or a pumped hydro facility (horribly expensive but the only viable means to date). If you want to send power anywhere use a transmission line. Why the investment in H2 projects? A very good question. It could be like those share market booms where everyone knows the shares are over-valued but are hoping to make their money and sell out before the bubble bursts.      

Investment in renewables is tanking world-wide at the moment.????? Pure 100 Percent ignorant BS

Enjoy the read............stats and data that proves your post is just BS

a link to the full article

https://energydigital.com/articles/investment-in-renewables-outstrips-oil-and-gas-for-first-time

energy-magazine-dark-logo.png

Renewables investment outstrips oil and gas for first time

October 17, 2022
4 mins
energy-news-14-10-2022-rystad-energy.jpg
Rystad Energy report finds that capital investments in renewables reached $494bn in 2022, compared to $446bn into oil and gas for the same period

Investments in renewables have outstripped upstream oil and gas for the first time, research from Rystad Energy has found, with capital investments in renewables reaching $494 billion in 2022, as compared to $446 billion into oil and gas for the year.

• Upvote 1

Rome was not built in a day............

Fossil Fuels have peaked and now are on the way to the bottom

Energy Transition Investment Hit $500 Billion in 2020 – For First Time |  BloombergNEF

9 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

HAHAHAHAHA...No I did not over **THANKed** that, nor did I overthink, rather you did NOT think.

If what you claim is true is TRUE, then you would NOT have replied as you did as it would have been MEANINGLESS. 

I have "collectibles" too... utterly meaningless to discussion of fiat currency manipulation

Freudian projection? Wi-Fi calling the narrator unreliable?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Well, even the talk-to-text on iPhone 14 max still sucks, I don't bother to review everything, I believe that your Lego collection along with plastic toy soldiers would not count as collectibles! And if the U.S. Dollar is a “fiat currency“ in your mind, well you know what they say about opinions! 

Are you living in a third-world country? 

33 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

Well, even the talk-to-text on iPhone 14 max still sucks, I don't bother to review everything, I believe that your Lego collection along with plastic toy soldiers would not count as collectibles! And if the U.S. Dollar is a “fiat currency“ in your mind, well you know what they say about opinions! 

Are you living in a third-world country? 

Not that I am surprised based on your "quality" of posts...

Apparently you need to learn what the term, "Fiat" currency means. 

10 hours ago, notsonice said:

Investment in renewables is tanking world-wide at the moment.????? Pure 100 Percent ignorant BS

https://energydigital.com/articles/investment-in-renewables-outstrips-oil-and-gas-for-first-time

energy-magazine-dark-logo.png

Renewables investment outstrips oil and gas for first time

October 17, 2022
4 mins
energy-news-14-10-2022-rystad-energy.jpg
Rystad Energy report finds that capital investments in renewables reached $494bn in 2022, compared to $446bn into oil and gas for the same period

Investments in renewables have outstripped upstream oil and gas for the first time, research from Rystad Energy has found, with capital investments in renewables reaching $494 billion in 2022, as compared to $446 billion into oil and gas for the year.

Marks going to let us know when he has sold 10 copies. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NickW said:

Marks going to let us know when he has sold 10 copies. 

I checked out his book on Amazons US site......no ranking ....meaning no copies sold.......

I see that a few copies are already available used with remainder marks ....meaning the free ones given out to reviewers have already hit the used book market with no takers at a discount

Guess he got some free promotional press here......still did him no good in my neck of the woods

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, notsonice said:

That one has backfired on you.. I'm talking about investment trends, not total investment and that story is from October of last year before the noticeable decline in the December and March quarters. If you hadn't added a silly insult I wouldn't be able to point out that I'm not the one who's ignorant, or writing BS.

While we're on the subject note these two paragraphs in the story you cite

He added that up until now, returns on renewable energy projects (such as solar PV and wind) have been unspectacular and primarily reliant on subsidies to get projects over the line. Furthermore, although cost pressures due to recent commodity and supply chain issues should have made matters worse (due to reversing years of rapid unit cost improvements in the sector), analysis from Rystad Energy found that current spot prices in Germany, France, Italy and the UK would all result in paybacks of 12 months or less.

“To understand the impact of soaring prices on project economics, a generic 250 megawatts (MW) solar PV asset has been modelled in Germany in the below graph. Assuming a long-term electricity price of €50/MWh ($49/MWh), the expected post tax return is approximately 6% with a payback period of 11 years,” the company’s report said.

Those price surges aren't supposed to happen with renewables, nor should they be necessary, and he is expecting this investment surge to happen. It hasn't. I will be writing in more detail stuff later in the week, so I won't be reading any attempted snap back on this thread. Leave it with you. 

• Great Response! 1

15 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

I keep posting examples, you keep posting unfounded opinion.

Keep it up its fun!

Rob - sneering does not count as posting examples.. I'll start a thread later in the week and you can sneer on that.. leave it with you..

• Great Response! 1

7 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Not that I am surprised based on your "quality" of posts...

Apparently you need to learn what the term, "Fiat" currency means. 

Quite a simple fix for that, don't have your mother read you the posts!

(edited)

8 hours ago, markslawson said:

Rob - sneering does not count as posting examples.. I'll start a thread later in the week and you can sneer on that.. leave it with you..

I just stated that I post with examples and you dont, if youre so precious you cant deal with that then thats on you.

Re-read your own thread and notice all the examples I cite and then notice your replies countering my posts but its always your opinion with nothing to back it up. That to me means you have a closed mind on the subject and arent up on the latest tech (as you admitted), for this reason alone your book will fail.

Maybe write a work of fiction instead? People might buy that.

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, markslawson said:

That one has backfired on you.. I'm talking about investment trends, not total investment and that story is from October of last year before the noticeable decline in the December and March quarters. If you hadn't added a silly insult I wouldn't be able to point out that I'm not the one who's ignorant, or writing BS.

While we're on the subject note these two paragraphs in the story you cite

He added that up until now, returns on renewable energy projects (such as solar PV and wind) have been unspectacular and primarily reliant on subsidies to get projects over the line. Furthermore, although cost pressures due to recent commodity and supply chain issues should have made matters worse (due to reversing years of rapid unit cost improvements in the sector), analysis from Rystad Energy found that current spot prices in Germany, France, Italy and the UK would all result in paybacks of 12 months or less.

“To understand the impact of soaring prices on project economics, a generic 250 megawatts (MW) solar PV asset has been modelled in Germany in the below graph. Assuming a long-term electricity price of €50/MWh ($49/MWh), the expected post tax return is approximately 6% with a payback period of 11 years,” the company’s report said.

Those price surges aren't supposed to happen with renewables, nor should they be necessary, and he is expecting this investment surge to happen. It hasn't. I will be writing in more detail stuff later in the week, so I won't be reading any attempted snap back on this thread. Leave it with you. 

keep posting your ignorant dribble....it is all you have...

when you post Investment in renewables is tanking world-wide at the moment...it shows that you really are not keeping up on the real trends.....

I get it you do not like renewables......no reason to start posting garbage..

Net zero nonsense???? oh boy you really are not a happy camper

My only question is  did you have to pay the publisher to print up some copies of your book??????

Edited by notsonice
  • Upvote 1

Putler has certainly given domestic solar a massive boast in the UK. Where I live solar installations are going up all over the place and virtually everyone I know is planning to put solar in. 

I brought fwd my second installation and put in another 2640W. Later in the year Mrs W is buying an EV so the extra solar will help with charging that.