Petrol versus EV

India has seen a huge surge in two wheelers users in last 5 years. The government has begun thinking in terms of rapid electrification of India two-wheeler fleet. 
A time frame of five to seven years for the full transition is now being talked about. Savings to the tune of Rs 1.20 lakh crore (120 billion rupees) in crude oil imports is being bandied around in government circles.
Refineries in India are taking into account while doing strategic planning. 

• Like 1

Can it happen in that timeframe, realistically? I'm asking because lots of governments have very ambitious electrification targets but they don't really sound realistic for the most part.

14 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Can it happen in that timeframe, realistically? I'm asking because lots of governments have very ambitious electrification targets but they don't really sound realistic for the most part.

Sure it can.  Building electric bicycles and electric motorcycles is (relatively) easy to do, especially bicycles. What you are adding is a hub motor and a battery pack, plus a throttle and a charge controller, which can be separate and plug-in.  They draw very little power to recharge, so you don't worry about grid issues.  As the amount of power for each unit is quite small, they remain simple enough to fabricate.  My electric bicycle only has 27 little cells in the pack, yet can run at 45 mph.  Building bicycles with lower power than that, meaning less speed, gets even cheaper.  For a poor country it is a classic solution.  And for a country with a top-down bureaucracy, I anticipate that it would be easy enough to Order - simply outlaw the importation of gasoline scooters. 

The larger benefit would be in removal of air pollution. Those small scooter motors are notorious polluters. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The only problem with that in India is I think its called rolling blackouts. In most parts of the country they dont have power half the time .....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9442080/Huge-power-cut-in-India-600-million-without-electricity-in-biggest-ever-blackout.html

The situation hasnt changed much in India since that event. There are rolling power outages almost on a daily basis across India.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0