Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ML

Kidnapped by an electric car

This amusing item was on the BBC site. The police in Scotland did well in stopping the car without injury to anyone or even damage to the car it seems. 

A driver has told how he was "kidnapped" by his runaway electric car and forced to dodge red lights and roundabouts.

Brian Morrison, 53, from Glasgow, said he was heading home from work on Sunday night when he said his brand new MG ZS EV became stuck at 30mph.

Police were forced to stop the runaway car by allowing it to slowly crash into their police van.

MG Motor UK said it was trying to resolve the matter.

Mr Morrison said his car suffered a ''catastrophic malfunction'' and became stuck at 30mph on the A803 heading towards Kirkintilloch, near Glasgow.

He said he was lucky that the incident had taken place after 22:00 on a Sunday night when the roads were quiet.

"I realised something was wrong when I was coming up to a roundabout and went to slow down but it didn't do it," he said.

"Then I heard a loud grinding noise that sounded like brake pads, but because it was such a new car I knew it couldn't be a problem with them.

"I managed to get around the roundabout going at about 30mph and then had a long road ahead of me, so I assumed it would stop without me accelerating - but it didn't."

Mr Morrison has mobility issues, so he was unable to escape the car travelling at 30mph by jumping out.

He added: "It might not sound like it is very fast, but when you have no control over the speed and you're completely stuck inside, it's terrifying."

44 minutes ago, markslawson said:

This amusing item was on the BBC site. The police in Scotland did well in stopping the car without injury to anyone or even damage to the car it seems. 

A driver has told how he was "kidnapped" by his runaway electric car and forced to dodge red lights and roundabouts.

Brian Morrison, 53, from Glasgow, said he was heading home from work on Sunday night when he said his brand new MG ZS EV became stuck at 30mph.

Police were forced to stop the runaway car by allowing it to slowly crash into their police van.

MG Motor UK said it was trying to resolve the matter.

Mr Morrison said his car suffered a ''catastrophic malfunction'' and became stuck at 30mph on the A803 heading towards Kirkintilloch, near Glasgow.

He said he was lucky that the incident had taken place after 22:00 on a Sunday night when the roads were quiet.

"I realised something was wrong when I was coming up to a roundabout and went to slow down but it didn't do it," he said.

"Then I heard a loud grinding noise that sounded like brake pads, but because it was such a new car I knew it couldn't be a problem with them.

"I managed to get around the roundabout going at about 30mph and then had a long road ahead of me, so I assumed it would stop without me accelerating - but it didn't."

Mr Morrison has mobility issues, so he was unable to escape the car travelling at 30mph by jumping out.

He added: "It might not sound like it is very fast, but when you have no control over the speed and you're completely stuck inside, it's terrifying."

So that is all you have? How pathetic. 

It is so common with gasmobiles that it has its own wiki:

Sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) is the unintended, unexpected, uncontrolled acceleration of a vehicle, often accompanied by an apparent loss of braking effectiveness.[1] Such problems may be caused by driver error (e.g., pedal misapplication), mechanical or electrical problems, or some combination of these factors.[2] The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates 16,000 accidents per year in the United States occur when drivers intend to apply the brake but mistakenly apply the accelerator.[3]

How's that book of yours doing Mark?

Flying off the shelves?

(edited)

5 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) is the unintended, unexpected, uncontrolled acceleration of a vehicle, often accompanied by an apparent loss of braking effectiveness.[1] Such problems may be caused by driver error (e.g., pedal misapplication), mechanical or electrical problems, or some combination of these factors.[2] The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates 16,000 accidents per year in the United States occur when drivers intend to apply the brake but mistakenly apply the accelerator.[3]

Jay - this has no relevance. The item refers to driver error. In the lead item the car took over and, please note, didn't actually accelerate. Just stayed at the same, low speed. Its an additional hazard of driving e-cars but probably more amusing that serious. (Forgot to say, good to hear from you again. thought you'd dropped out.)  

Edited by markslawson

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

How's that book of yours doing Mark?

Flying off the shelves?

Nice of you to ask. The public debate keeps getting crazier and crazier but the trends in the power grid are still as I wrote.  

(edited)

1 hour ago, markslawson said:

Jay - this has no relevance. The item refers to driver error. In the lead item the car took over and, please note, didn't actually accelerate. Just stayed at the same, low speed. Its an additional hazard of driving e-cars but probably more amusing that serious. (Forgot to say, good to hear from you again. thought you'd dropped out.)  

No it is the exact same thing. They all fall under this category and if you bothered to try and understand or be honest you would note it says caused  by "driver error , mechanical or electrical problems, or some combination of these factors".

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

3 hours ago, markslawson said:

Nice of you to ask. The public debate keeps getting crazier and crazier but the trends in the power grid are still as I wrote.  

So you keep getting it wrong. 

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

6 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

So you keep getting it wrong. 

Interesting perspective, everyone would be daft who disagrees with you yet in the same vein every continent on earth has experienced massive financial hardships along with social anarchy due soley to Green Energy.

All except China...Now Jay are you a puppet or a social anarchist....may just a tad of narcissism mixed in just for flavor

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Interesting perspective, everyone would be daft who disagrees with you yet in the same vein every continent on earth has experienced massive financial hardships along with social anarchy due soley to Green Energy.

All except China...Now Jay are you a puppet or a social anarchist....may just a tad of narcissism mixed in just for flavor

Jay has it right, just the Luddite has it wrong again....

every continent on earth has experienced massive financial hardships along with social anarchy due soley to Green Energy.????

oh boy that is a whopper of a pile of BS

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

No it is the exact same thing. They all fall under this category and if you bothered to try and understand or be honest you would note it says caused  by "driver error , mechanical or electrical problems, or some combination of these factors".

Nope, its different. the bulk would almost certainly be driver error although brake failure would be a small portion, undoubtedly. However, the e-car incident is in a different category entirely. Go back and actually read the material. In that incident the driver not only lost control he was completely unable to get it back again. I see you are just as determined to defend e-cars in the teeth of all reality as ever, and throw in a few insults while you're at it. A better line would have been to argue that it was an isolated incident. I mentioned it more for its amusement value as I said before. You should have studied debating, then you wouldn't keep on coming up with the wrong arguments.

As for the 10 per cent sales, sure. I'm surprised that there are so many rich, green conscious consumers in Australia but it is a wealthy country and e-cars are faddish. Anyway, none of this is adding to the debate. Leave it with you.       

3 hours ago, notsonice said:

Jay has it right, just the Luddite has it wrong again....

every continent on earth has experienced massive financial hardships along with social anarchy due soley to Green Energy.????

oh boy that is a whopper of a pile of BS

Maybe its an exaggeration, but an acceptable one given what's happened. Just look at the news. Admittedly the major contributory factor to world econo0mic problems at the moment is the Ukraine war but that basically exposed the huge problems caused by Europe's obsession with alternate energy. After billions spent on that form of energy it has totally failed to substitute for Russian gas. Germany is restarting coal power stations (after shutting down nuclear plants). 

(edited)

On 10/6/2023 at 5:01 PM, markslawson said:

After billions spent on that form of energy it has totally failed to substitute for Russian gas. Germany is restarting coal power stations (after shutting down nuclear plants). 

Mr.Lawson I might suggest Trillions spent/invested on renewables  and billions upon billions lost by citizens of the world. High Priced energy is rather simple..loss of disposable income is quite complex..social anarchy would be the final outcome.

And now the cycle only appears to deepen, at some point men&women must ask..."Just where is this modern marvel of "GREEN ENERGY"

Commodity Titans Look To Capitalize On Europe’s Gas Price Rollercoaster

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/Commodity-Titans-Look-To-Capitalize-On-Europes-Gas-Price-Rollercoaster.html

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Great Response! 1