Is "dieselgate" behind VW?

After a bruising two years, there are signs that Volkswagen is overcoming the damage to its reputation, and finances, wrought by revelations that it had cheated on emissions tests. VW said it expected to sell more than 6 million Volkswagens this year, boosted by a strong performance in China, Europe and the US.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VW sensibly passed on the cost of the diesel saga to US consumers. The American government response to the emission problem has been dreadful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US regulators and US mass-tort legal action were the only serious threats to VW - I always knew the middle-classes would continue to buy Volkswagen vehicles and they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

After a bruising two years, there are signs that Volkswagen is overcoming the damage to its reputation, and finances, wrought by revelations that it had cheated on emissions tests. VW said it expected to sell more than 6 million Volkswagens this year, boosted by a strong performance in China, Europe and the US.

 

Since dieselgate was largely over hyped bollocks, sponsored by US motor manufacturers (who prefer petrol) the answer is probably yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been some good dealer incentives to trade in old polluting models in Germany, which have helped to boost sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is no mention ever made of all the other manufacturers who are as guilty? I.E. : Volvo, Renault, Mercedes, Jeep, Hyundai, Citroen, BMW, Mazda, Fiat, Ford and Peugeot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

Since dieselgate was largely over hyped bollocks, sponsored by US motor manufacturers (who prefer petrol) the answer is probably yes?

it seems petrol might be worse than new diesel engines after all - In the lab (at the Paul Scherrer Institute, Zurich Switzerland), "gasoline cars emitted on average 10 times more carbonaceous PM at 22°C and 62 times more at -7°C compared to diesel cars,"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way VW were alone on the cheating, they just so happen to be the US car industry's biggest competitor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EU haven't had the balls to make VW recompense any EU owners like in America. Effectively they have accelerated the end of diesel cars and the residual resale prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

VW sensibly passed on the cost of the diesel saga to US consumers. The American government response to the emission problem has been dreadful. 

The EU rules are essentially German rules, it's only US rules that have teeth against German and EU companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0