Is California becoming a National Security Risk to the U.S.?

The policies and decisions made in California, the 5th largest economy in the world, may be putting the U.S. at a national security risk. The imported crude oil into California is required to support the states usage of 60 million gallons of fuel every day for its 145 airports, 35 million registered, and 15 ports that handle $50 billion of imported and exported goods every month. Unlike the rest of the USA which is now a net exporter of oil, California’s in-state oil production, and Alaskan oil imports are both in-decline to meet the States’ energy needs, resulting in more than 56% of the States’ crude oil needs being imported from oil rich foreign countries.  http://www.cfact.org/2018/11/13/is-california-becoming-a-national-security-risk/

Is California becoming a U.S. National Security Risk.pdf

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't be silly. One of the largest national risks to the USA is the fossil fuel industry, when peak demand comes it's going to hurt the country bad. California has the sense to move with the times, not try and hide in the 20th century. The USA has stagnated and needs to follow California's leadership, not the other national risk to the USA of tRump 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I wouldn't particularly mind if California seceded from the rest of the U.S. 

And no, I'm not joking.  Decades ago, I lived a few years in southern California.  It's like a different universe than the rest of the U.S.

The current direction that California is heading - including its craziness about keeping oil and natural gas in the ground - is not the same direction as the rest of the country.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, DA? said:

Don't be silly. One of the largest national risks to the USA is the fossil fuel industry, when peak demand comes it's going to hurt the country bad. California has the sense to move with the times, not try and hide in the 20th century. The USA has stagnated and needs to follow California's leadership, not the other national risk to the USA of tRump 

So I guess companies like Toyota and others LEAVING Cali for places like, Texas, is one such example of the California leadership we should all take note of........  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, TXPower said:

So I guess companies like Toyota and others LEAVING Cali for places like, Texas, is one such example of the California leadership we should all take note of........  

Maybe they left to go to all that cheap renewable energy that's been made in Texas. Although Tesla (have you seen how well they are doing compared to other manufactures) seems to be investing large amounts of money in California and other large companies.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

And no, I'm not joking.  Decades ago, I lived a few years in southern California.  It's like a different universe than the rest of the U.S.

The current direction that California is heading - including its craziness about keeping oil and natural gas in the ground - is not the same direction as the rest of the country.  

California is just heading the same direction as the rest of the world. The real craziness is the direction the rest of the US is heading.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

...And another gripe about California (along with Oregon and Washington states) these three western coastal states do not allow the passage of coal from the likes of Wyoming and Montana to their ports to be exported across the Pacific to Asian countries who want to buy that product. How right is it that American business can be held to ransom like this? The alternative route, say through Houston, is going to involve far more energy expenditure to reach its final goal. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

...And another gripe about California (along with Oregon and Washington states) these three western coastal states do not allow the passage of coal from the likes of Wyoming and Montana to their ports to be exported across the Pacific to Asian countries who want to buy that product. How right is it that American business can be held to ransom like this? The alternative route, say through Houston, is going to involve far more energy expenditure to reach its final goal. 

Unless that is some new regulation that I haven't heard of, I have driven through California many times, and you can see the cloud of dust that those coal trains make when they are moving, you can see it for miles before you get to them. And I mean within the last year or so....I don't know about Washington or Oregon

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, John Gammage said:

I'm not surprised if that is true. The dust that comes of those trains is horrendous for human health, coal contains all sorts of stuff you don't want to inhale.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

California is just heading the same direction as the rest of the world. The real craziness is the direction the rest of the US is heading.

If you mean going off the rails on a crazy train........., then yes, Cali and the rest of the world afe heading in the same direction.  Happy Trails.  I mean rails.

Edited by TXPower
Wording
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, DA? said:

Maybe they left to go to all that cheap renewable energy that's been made in Texas. Although Tesla (have you seen how well they are doing compared to other manufactures) seems to be investing large amounts of money in California and other large companies.

Or, maybe they left because of all the lunatic regressive liberal state taxation.  

And since you mentioned Tesla, well, I’m glad they’re headed to Cali.  They’ll fit right in.

https://amp.economist.com/business/2018/09/20/teslas-latest-troubles

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TXPower said:

Or, maybe they left because of all the lunatic regressive liberal state taxation.  

And since you mentioned Tesla, well, I’m glad they’re headed to Cali.  They’ll fit right in.

https://amp.economist.com/business/2018/09/20/teslas-latest-troubles

Well that's a bit of old news, things move fast these days. The Economist sad it's not nearly half what it used to be.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DA? said:

Well that's a bit of old news, things move fast these days. The Economist sad it's not nearly half what it used to be.

and yet still so relevant.  facts are stubborn aren't they.

1 hour ago, TXPower said:

and yet still so relevant.  facts are stubborn aren't they.

relevant in what way? Have you seen the facts of it's sale figures in the USA? Seen the financials of the company? Seen the products they make and the demand for them? Those are the stubborn facts about Tesla, it's doing great unlike most other car manufactures (although cars are only part of what Tesla does). Don't mix up FUD and facts.

• Upvote 2

I’m sorry, I assumed you had read the article I linked.  Admittedly it’s not the whole picture, however that one article of many available at your fingerprints, which points to problems beyond just overinflated economic figures for Tesla certainly served the point I was making.  Our sense of success and leadership are vastly different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/14/2018 at 4:16 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

San Diego is awesome; if I ever left Canada it would be to move there.

Cali brings in tourism bucks and grows a lot of food - it's far more valuable than most flyover states.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, TXPower said:

I’m sorry, I assumed you had read the article I linked.  Admittedly it’s not the whole picture, however that one article of many available at your fingerprints, which points to problems beyond just overinflated economic figures for Tesla certainly served the point I was making.  Our sense of success and leadership are vastly different.

I did read it and it's out of date. They did make that "amazing" profit in Q3. The many articles of complete bull, those so called journalists have got it wrong at every turn. Look at the actual data, profit whilst still investing like crazy, largest revenue of any car in the USA, even BP buying energy storage from them and the list goes on. I get it you are scared of new innovations, the worlds changing quickly and I thought I was the snow flake. 

What's your sense of success and leadership, GE?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DA? said:

I did read it and it's out of date. They did make that "amazing" profit in Q3. The many articles of complete bull, those so called journalists have got it wrong at every turn. Look at the actual data, profit whilst still investing like crazy, largest revenue of any car in the USA, even BP buying energy storage from them and the list goes on. I get it you are scared of new innovations, the worlds changing quickly and I thought I was the snow flake. 

What's your sense of success and leadership, GE?

Well, if the snow-shoe fits......

Honesty, integrity, even when it’s painful or perhaps less profitable.  Maturity.  These are true leadership traits.

46 minutes ago, TXPower said:

Well, if the snow-shoe fits......

Honesty, integrity, even when it’s painful or perhaps less profitable.  Maturity.  These are true leadership traits.

Now who's making who laugh.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, DA? said:

The two prime movers that have done more for the cause of globalization than any other: the diesel engine and the jet turbine, both get their fuels from oil.  “Clean electricity” doesn’t run the military, airports, cruise liners, supertankers, ports, and transportation industries, nor does electricity produce 6,000 products from petroleum that are used by every infrastructure, that are made from the chemicals and by-products that are manufactured from crude oil.

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, Ronald Stein said:

The two prime movers that have done more for the cause of globalization than any other: the diesel engine and the jet turbine, both get their fuels from oil.  “Clean electricity” doesn’t run the military, airports, cruise liners, supertankers, ports, and transportation industries, nor does electricity produce 6,000 products from petroleum that are used by every infrastructure, that are made from the chemicals and by-products that are manufactured from crude oil.

Yes they did, nice history lesson. But that was the past, the present and things are changing, the future and it's sustainable. We are going to see the electrification of the world some bits faster than others. Chemical feed stocks are being rapidly developed from none fossil sources, using electricity to power this or biological, it's only hydrogen and carbon mainly plenty of other sources of that. Really I've read a few bits you have written and you seem to be stuck in the 20th century, time to move on or move over. These old worn out arguments don't work in the modern world.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

Seems like this topic is similar to Russian Troll facebook sites and is being pushed by a third party vendor and his newsletter.  I go to this site to help me make money on energy, up or down, not this bullshit. 

Mr. Stein are you some sort of anti global warming oil industry lobbyist?  This is an issue which really has little to do with oilPRICE.com.   Do you seriously think you are going to convince people on this site that disagree with you to agree with you?  Is your goal to bond with people that agree with you?  Is your goal to piss off people that don't agree with you?  Do you want people to go to your site for ad revenue? Arguments about oil versus other energy sources are relevant if they relate to the price of oil, but to be honest I have never seen any alternatives energies impacting oil, at least for now.  That seems to be what your initial post has morphed into.

Please tell me some useful information so I can use it to make money related to oil prices going up or down?  For example if you look at some of my most recent posts over a week ago i said the Sauds got played by Trump regarding the Iran oil sanctions with the exemptions.  I said this before several articles from 'oil experts' said the same thing Friday.  

That said, with high probability oil prices are going to go up a lot, and nobody is going to listen to Trump in Opec anymore.  I also think under great pressure Trump will cave and play kissy face with China which will cause China to start buy more US oil.  He will cave trying to spin some nonsense to save face for his base that does not read much other than Fox news, Breitbart, Gab, and a handful of other far right or white nationalist outlets, but in the end cave he will.  I hate and love Trump at the same time.  His predictability and stupidity has made me rich buying and selling oil industry stocks.  That said the Iranian sanctions and china tariffs has got him in a real pickle.  Trump wants oil to go down in the short term for his base, but has pissed off Opec, and wants to hurt Iran and wants to push around China who now is not buying US oil but is still buying Iranian oil,  at the expense of the US economy and US farmers.   China, the one country in the world that has time to wait, a 5000 year old civilization.  Opec cuts, China eventually buying US oil, and the Iran sanctions taking hold mean one thing: Oil up, way up.  If you actually look at who Trump has put in place as heads of the agencies they are all X oil lobbyists or congressman that took tons of money from big oil.  Trump loves big oil but wants his base to think he does not.  I would love to see his stock portfolio.  

And yes, I sold before the fall and now stocked up again as the stocks tanked.  I make my own money based on my own decisions and analyses and finding the good information out there in the public domain.  Nobody pays me to write or talk.  How do you make your money Mr. Stein during retirement?

Where to you think oil is going.  We all want to know at OilPRICE.com since your such a visionary on CA and national security.

Edited by J S
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

The latest policy by China regarding electric cars last week is a game changer.  They become the world's leader in green.  It will take time, but I think within 3 generations refinery business will have contracted by 50% or more from the drop in gasoline use and plastics decline.   Same thing holds for oil stocks.  That said I will be long dead, having died rich from playing oil stocks.  My guess is though it will be too late for world temperature, but then that will not be my problem, unless there is a Zombie apocalypse and I am brought back from the dead.  Hopefully Hamm's beer will still exist.  Brains taste better with Hamm's beer, the beer refreshing.  Bought 30 cans for 13 bucks last week, yummy.  Actually everything tastes better with Hamm's beer.
Edited by J S