Poll: Will Renewables Save the World?

Will Renewables Save the World?   37 members have voted

  1. 1. Will Renewables Save the World?

    • Yes, they will, to the eternal anger of Big Oil
      10
    • Nah, we'll still be guzzling oil 100 years from now.
      27

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's vote!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Option 3. renewables and FF will co-exist. 

I voted Nah, but option 3 seems more likely.  Not the current renewables, but something, yes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Option 3 is too realistic. If it was off the table, then what would it be? :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Option 3 is too realistic. If it was off the table, then what would it be? :)

Armageddon, and energy demand and the potential danger thereof is moot.

love Rodent, Doomsday Prepper and 2020 presidential hopeful

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The world will be just fine. Homo Sapiens on the other hand have issues.

  • Like 3
  • Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Rodent said:

Armageddon, and energy demand and the potential danger thereof is moot.

love Rodent, Doomsday Prepper and 2020 presidential hopeful

I'll take this as a promise. No, sorry, too late to go back. You promised.

R2020

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

Option 3 is too realistic. If it was off the table, then what would it be? :)

100 years is a long time. Maybe they will find a way to harvest the energy from moon-rocks by then. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

Let's vote!

Save it FROM WHAT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't a question of can alternative energy sources co-exist with FF.  Evenutally we will run out of FF.  So they have to be able to replace them.  It can be done.  It will take a big crisis to spur the effort but it can be done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will always be oil and demand. There will always be demand for cleaner energy. The changing cost will determine the speed away from each oil related product.

  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Boat said:

There will always be oil and demand. There will always be demand for cleaner energy. The changing cost will determine the speed away from each oil related product.

But in time nothing will keep humans from massive disruption due to the effects of overpopulation and all the accumulated side effects of consumption.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denial is strong in the oil patch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada is going to have to order millions of straight jackets if the left doesnt get their way and shut down the oil sands. 80% of north Americas oil is here in the ground mixed with sand. I didn't say 80% of Canada oil. That's 80% of north America including the entire United states and Mexico. Only 20% of it is considered recoverable. If not for that minor footnote (only 20% is counted as reserves) alberta by itself has more oil 8n the ground  then the entire middle east combined.i see one of 2scenarios.  Every last drop will be mined out including the other 80% that we cant produce economically right now, or humans go extinct and we cant finish the job.  I assume humans will be digging for stuff in the ground for tens of thousands of years to come, possibly hundreds of thousands. Possibly future civilizations after this current one is long become rusted out skyscrapers and concrete foundations. It's all going to be used up for plastics and lubricants whether or not we switch 100% to nuclear or some other kind of power. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, Oil_Engineer said:

Save it FROM WHAT?

Good question. :D From destruction, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Extinction of human beings probably can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we somehow manage to remain a relatively stable global society and solve the critical issues coming at us, which is not a given by any means, I think big oil will just transition so the above question in terms of them being angry seems a bit over the top assuming that they have transitioned and are profiting from the new tech. They certainly don't want to but eventually, I don't see them as having a choice in the matter unless they choose to tear civilization down (so far there are also signs of this choice amongst certain oil industry elements) on the premise of "if we can't control the world then the world doesn't deserve to survive".

To be frank, renewables could likely have "saved the world" by now or at lest be well on their way to solving major sustainability issues if big oil had worked to help the transition instead of impede it and if they didn't spend decades polluting the minds of a large amount of the population with various forms of mind frame idiocy with the help of their allies around the world. Only a fraction of the global resources were devoted to the transition so we are 20 years or more behind the curve. If the world does fail to tackle critical issues in time and ends up falling apart, it's clear who would have a big hand in such a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil and its by products will be around for a very long time, not to mention the need for energy is only growing and will continue to grow fueled by growth in global population. Oil & Gas will be key to powering the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Natural gas will take over the heavy work when oil gets too expensive. Wind, solar, hydro, etc will play an increasing role.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, Keith boyd said:

Canada is going to have to order millions of straight jackets if the left doesnt get their way and shut down the oil sands. 80% of north Americas oil is here in the ground mixed with sand. I didn't say 80% of Canada oil. That's 80% of north America including the entire United states and Mexico. Only 20% of it is considered recoverable. If not for that minor footnote (only 20% is counted as reserves) alberta by itself has more oil 8n the ground  then the entire middle east combined.i see one of 2scenarios.  Every last drop will be mined out including the other 80% that we cant produce economically right now, or humans go extinct and we cant finish the job.  I assume humans will be digging for stuff in the ground for tens of thousands of years to come, possibly hundreds of thousands. Possibly future civilizations after this current one is long become rusted out skyscrapers and concrete foundations. It's all going to be used up for plastics and lubricants whether or not we switch 100% to nuclear or some other kind of power. 

 

There is far more natural gas available than oil. It is cheaper, cleaner, and more widely available. Industries will eventually wake up to that fact.

  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0