Climate Change Protests

I have officially had it. I suggest ALL international oil companies stop what they're doing and sit back and relax as the world economy crumbles and these same protesters finally have some actual pressing problems to worry about such as, you know, satisfying basic needs like food and heat, and shelter, and crap like this.

Climate change protesters block access to French multinationals

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Teenage protesters staged an emotional protest, weeping and singing, at political inaction on climate change near London’s Heathrow Airport on Friday."

 

Time for me to helpfully contribute some logic-like deep thinkingfullness to this climate change wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Try looking at the smaller picture.

 

5879bdc13be163cede95ba0a189b032f3fb724be886c561202c871183d7aa171.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

teenagers don't even know what the hell they are protesting, just what they see on social media with their oil by product gadgets and think that's cool we should get behind that 🙄 maybe education and grades should be more on their agendas

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

an emotional protest, weeping and singing, at political inaction

If you'll excuse me I need to go do some weeping and singing at political inaction regarding the growing problem of acquired idiocy.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I have officially had it. I suggest ALL international oil companies stop what they're doing and sit back and relax as the world economy crumbles and these same protesters finally have some actual pressing problems to worry about such as, you know, satisfying basic needs like food and heat, and shelter, and crap like this.

Climate change protesters block access to French multinationals

I'm totally prepared.  LET'S DO IT!!!! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

 

Time for me to helpfully contribute some logic-like deep thinkingfullness to this climate change wailing and gnashing of teeth.

"thinkingfullness"?? Oh brother.  @Marina Schwarz will have to put that on her list.

if everybody who was protesting fossil fuels stopped using anything oil related they would probably effect more change. but then they would not get to be part of some romantic, idealistic cause célèbre. Spare us the drama and go order yourself a kombucha. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

14 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I'm totally prepared.  LET'S DO IT!!!! 

We are a GO!

Yep, thinkingfullness added to list. Love it!

Edited by Marina Schwarz
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:
  1. " Social media has given a voice to people that did not have a medium on which to voice their ignorance". 

indeed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I'm totally prepared.  LET'S DO IT!!!! 

Anybody up for glueing themselves to the windows of Greenpeace buildings in protest?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Anybody up for glueing themselves to the windows of Greenpeace buildings in protest?

sorry, my days are pretty full, what with work and all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am actually quite glad the next generation is so gullible that they don't even know what they are protesting, I would like to see just one of them go for a day without their cellphones. Actually, come to think about it with so few students now days taking science and engineering and mostly enrolling in emotional support studies - I feel good that my job won't be threatened by these intellectuals. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bobby P said:

I feel good that my job won't be threatened by these intellectuals.

Antillectuals might be a better term.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

13 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Antillectuals might be a better term.

Yep - everyone else is wrong and you and this corner of the internet are right...

One step away from a tin foil hat.  

Edited by Enthalpic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who tries to argue that co2 is the problem, and does not immediately segway into advocating nuclear and hydro as the low co2 baseline/on demand energy solution has an invalid opinion and is wrong. Period. The reason I am so confident we are stuck with oil for decades more at least is because all the green investment is going Into wind and solar which I know cant replace more then 20% of power generation without an 80% fossil fuel crutch. Hence more wind turbines mean the coal and gas plants have to stay.

When we start building mass nuclear plants as a replacement power source then a reduction of co2 can be legitimately argued is on the way.

 

As for the anti oil watermelons, the goal post has moved again anyway. Less and less its talk of co2. Now the argument is humans bad, everything we do is bad, the  problem is humans existing the  solution is going back to the iron age. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Keith boyd said:

all the green investment is going Into wind and solar which I know cant replace more then 20% of power generation without an 80% fossil fuel crutch

Not really.  You can have everything stem from that wind and solar, as long as you are quite prepared to go without and sit in the dark once the wind settles down and the sun goes to bed at night.   People actually lived like that back in the 1700's.  Of course, forget about running your plant on the night shift.  Gotta make some sacrifices. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

"and average IQ is falling: according to one psychology professor at the University of Amsterdam it has fallen among Westerners by as many as 14 points since the beginning of the 20th century."

Well, that's just wonderful, isn't it.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: someone should shut down the internet. A week will suffice.

PS. This answer from Tom's link:

As a philosophy professor in the US, I would say that at least Americans (though not American students, thankfully) are becoming stupid. I am an evidentialist who holds that people are morally justified in believing things only insofar as the evidence warrants, such that believing underevidenced claims that one simply wants to be true is epistemically immoral. Certainly, since the 2016 presidential campaigns, Americans are believing underevidenced claims at an alarmingly increasing rate each day. The "fake news" phenomenon has profoundly contributed to this rise of stupidity and, I would argue, epistemic immorality.

That's it, I'm calling idiots epistemically immoral instead of idiots from now on. It's more polite, I think.

Edited by Marina Schwarz
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

That's it, I'm calling idiots epistemically immoral instead of idiots from now on. It's more polite, I think.

That's pretty darn epistemically moral of you, Marina.

Although I still prefer the term "idiots".  Because idiots likely won't understand either of the terms "epistemically" or "immoral".  Because they are idiots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 4/20/2019 at 7:20 AM, Keith boyd said:

Anyone who tries to argue that co2 is the problem, and does not immediately segway into advocating nuclear and hydro as the low co2 baseline/on demand energy solution has an invalid opinion and is wrong. Period. The reason I am so confident we are stuck with oil for decades more at least is because all the green investment is going Into wind and solar which I know cant replace more then 20% of power generation without an 80% fossil fuel crutch. Hence more wind turbines mean the coal and gas plants have to stay.

When we start building mass nuclear plants as a replacement power source then a reduction of co2 can be legitimately argued is on the way.

 

As for the anti oil watermelons, the goal post has moved again anyway. Less and less its talk of co2. Now the argument is humans bad, everything we do is bad, the  problem is humans existing the  solution is going back to the iron age. 

Natural gas can replace oil and has enabled the United States to cut CO2 emissions and real pollution from coal more than any other large nation. China is burning more coal than ever and India probably is also. 

Nuclear is dead in the USA and natural gas is able to do the job for far less money. We are currently subsidizing old nuclear plants because the politicians are selling out the public and letting  them keep old plants going. Nuclear plants are costing the public far more than natural gas plants would. In Illinois, they are still burning coal also because our politicians are so corrupt. We have our own natural gas available. 

Edited by ronwagn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Is How Crazy The Climate Alarmists Are Getting

George Monbiot appeared recently on Frankie Boyle's far-left political chat show, "New World Order." A columnist and environmental activist, Monbiot explained how we have to save the planet. And boy, does Monbiot have some ideas.

The easy things we need to change, Monbiot said, are to end air travel flying and cease consumption of meat. If that doesn't sound easy to you, then you're not alone. Indeed, those ideas are so destructive of modern life, economics, and the pursuit of happiness, that they could justifiably be regarded as insane.

But Monbiot was just getting started. Next up, he took us down the intellectual river, into the heart of activist darkness. ...

 

 

climate-change.png

wheel-of-climate-change.jpg

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny idea but the problem 'is', these maniacs that "believe" in AGW will blame their starving on AGW, just like they're blaming the "Latin Spring" and formerly and ongoing the "Arab Spring" on AGW.  

You are right though, all K12 maniacs with diplomas.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Natural gas can replace oil and has enabled the United States to cut CO2 emissions and real pollution from coal more than any other large nation. China is burning more coal than ever and India probably is also. 

Nuclear is dead in the USA and natural gas is able to do the job for far less money. We are currently subsidizing old nuclear plants because the politicians are selling out the public and letting  them keep old plants going. Nuclear plants are costing the public far more than natural gas plants would. In Illinois, they are still burning coal also because our politicians are so corrupt. We have our own natural gas available. 

I agree that right now in the present natural gas is the cheapest and easiest energy source especially in places where there are steep discounts because of over supply. I live in alberta and we suffer the same affliction as Texas of too much Geezus Dang natural gas "waste" by product and no where to send it.  on my gas Bill the $30 a ton carbon tax is equal to the amount I pay for the gas itself. And the government wants to raise it to $50 a ton! 

 

But now imagine a world 500 years from now where most of the fossil fuels are tapped out and what is left is really poor quality high cost of production  reserves. Nuclear starts to look good again. This temporary glut of natural gas should straighten out when LNG export terminals and pipeline capacity comes online in the next few years for usa and maybe by 2030 for Canada since it takes 12+ years and counting to build a friggin pipeline in canada. China wants to start switching to natural gas too. The market for LNG will be astronomical. 

  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Keith boyd said:

I agree that right now in the present natural gas is the cheapest and easiest energy source especially in places where there are steep discounts because of over supply. I live in alberta and we suffer the same affliction as Texas of too much Geezus Dang natural gas "waste" by product and no where to send it.  on my gas Bill the $30 a ton carbon tax is equal to the amount I pay for the gas itself. And the government wants to raise it to $50 a ton! 

 

But now imagine a world 500 years from now where most of the fossil fuels are tapped out and what is left is really poor quality high cost of production  reserves. Nuclear starts to look good again. This temporary glut of natural gas should straighten out when LNG export terminals and pipeline capacity comes online in the next few years for usa and maybe by 2030 for Canada since it takes 12+ years and counting to build a friggin pipeline in canada. China wants to start switching to natural gas too. The market for LNG will be astronomical. 

The potential production of natural gas is incredible also. Piped to the point of use is even better than shipping LNG. Many countries are developing new offshore gas fields. Add that to the oil patch worldwide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

This Is How Crazy The Climate Alarmists Are Getting

George Monbiot appeared recently on Frankie Boyle's far-left political chat show, "New World Order." A columnist and environmental activist, Monbiot explained how we have to save the planet. And boy, does Monbiot have some ideas.

The easy things we need to change, Monbiot said, are to end air travel flying and cease consumption of meat. If that doesn't sound easy to you, then you're not alone. Indeed, those ideas are so destructive of modern life, economics, and the pursuit of happiness, that they could justifiably be regarded as insane.

But Monbiot was just getting started. Next up, he took us down the intellectual river, into the heart of activist darkness. ...

 

 

climate-change.png

wheel-of-climate-change.jpg

Added to Global Warming AKA Climate Change https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B7YYeQTmESPhjlS_dj4zMTxWOiJhmLjxN1I_1NJcJFY/edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites