Which Name Do You Prefer?

Which Name Do You Prefer?   14 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Name Do You Prefer?

    • Arabian Gulf
      2
    • Persian Gulf
      12

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This may be a heated question. 

Which name do you prefer?

Arabian Gulf

or 

Persian Gulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The name Arabian Gulf is a modern concept, started by the Arab states in the 1960s, The Persian Gulf IMO should remain the Persian Gulf as it doesn’t really refer to Iran as it is now perceived.

Formerly the Median Empire going back to 674BC which spanned into Azerbaijan 🇦🇿 Turkey Modern day Iraq 🇮🇶

I lived my childhood in the Persian Gulf and living in Ras al Khaima and Ajman in the UAE never heard it called the Arabian Gulf.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

3 hours ago, James Regan said:

The name Arabian Gulf is a modern concept, started by the Arab states in the 1960s, The Persian Gulf IMO should remain the Persian Gulf as it doesn’t really refer to Iran as it is now perceived.

Formerly the Median Empire going back to 674BC which spanned into Azerbaijan 🇦🇿 Turkey Modern day Iraq 🇮🇶

I lived my childhood in the Persian Gulf and living in Ras al Khaima and Ajman in the UAE never heard it called the Arabian Gulf.

I always remember it being referred to as the Arabian Gulf..................... going back many decades...............................but historically long term  it was PG

Edited by ceo_energemsier
add
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just voted and broke the tie, so now it is Persian Gulf.

But that is because I am an official Old Guy, and still demand that the city of New York be written as New Amsterdam.  So there. :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I couldn't care much less than I already do. Persian Gulf I guess just because that's how I've been accustomed to saying it. 

Shall we take a poll on Istanbul vs. Constantinople? I hate name changes, generally speaking, just because it's disruptive.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

This is mostly being asked due to the current Saudi Arabia vs Iran showdown.

Edited by canadas canadas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, canadas canadas said:

This may be a heated question. 

Which name do you prefer?

Arabian Gulf

or 

Persian Gulf

 

16 hours ago, James Regan said:

The name Arabian Gulf is a modern concept, started by the Arab states in the 1960s, The Persian Gulf IMO should remain the Persian Gulf as it doesn’t really refer to Iran as it is now perceived.

Formerly the Median Empire going back to 674BC which spanned into Azerbaijan 🇦🇿 Turkey Modern day Iraq 🇮🇶

I lived my childhood in the Persian Gulf and living in Ras al Khaima and Ajman in the UAE never heard it called the Arabian Gulf.

 

12 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

I always remember it being referred to as the Arabian Gulf..................... going back many decades...............................but historically long term  it was PG

Bad news!!  Bad news........

The body of water is historically and internationally known as the "Persian Gulf".[2][3][4] Some Arab governments refer to it as the "Arabian Gulf" (Arabic: ٱلْخَلِيْج ٱلْعَرَبِي‎, romanizedAl-Khalīj al-ˁArabī) or "The Gulf",[5] but neither term is recognized globally. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf#Ancient_history

To prevent possible dispute on which country of pirates has the authority........ we ought to give it a new and neutral name. For example......... The Hot Sea.... or no?? :/:P

Image result for persian gulf climate

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

12 minutes ago, specinho said:

 

 

Bad news!!  Bad news........

The body of water is historically and internationally known as the "Persian Gulf".[2][3][4] Some Arab governments refer to it as the "Arabian Gulf" (Arabic: ٱلْخَلِيْج ٱلْعَرَبِي‎, romanizedAl-Khalīj al-ˁArabī) or "The Gulf",[5] but neither term is recognized globally. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf#Ancient_history

To prevent possible dispute on which country of pirates has the authority........ we ought to give it a new and neutral name. For example......... The Hot Sea.... or no?? :/:P

Image result for persian gulf climate

The "Disputed Name Gulf-Sea"  ;):D

I did a lot of swimming, diving, spear fishing, crabbing, boating, fishing and tanker watching on the Western side.

Saw and came across a lot of sea snakes, which wasnt fun. They would just pop up .

 

Edited by ceo_energemsier
add
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

The "Disputed Name Gulf-Sea"  ;):D

I did a lot of swimming, diving, spear fishing, crabbing, boating, fishing and tanker watching on the Western side.

Saw and came across a lot of sea snakes, which wasnt fun. They would just pop up .

 

" came across a lot of sea snakes, which wasnt fun. They would just pop up "

Were you skinny dipping ?  They may have been reviewing the mating possibilities 🤣 :S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

" came across a lot of sea snakes, which wasnt fun. They would just pop up "

Were you skinny dipping ?  They may have been reviewing the mating possibilities 🤣 :S

yea no skinny dippin there

just the though of those short poison gland attached fangs................. yikes. ouch!@!!!O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First come, first named. The Persian Gulf is the Persian Gulf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0