SH

low price Why drill more dry gas with Permian pushing low gas pricing?

If the oil shale wells in the Permian basin can afford to produce secondary gas under $1 or simply flare it off, why do investors/companies, continue to drill more dry gas in Marcellus etc? Within a few years the Permian field should have large pipeline connections to Henry Hub and if the oil majors gradually expand Permian drilling scale, isn't it plausible to have $1 gas nationwide? The oil income seems capable to subsidize extremely low gas prices. Other than short term wintertime shortages, natural gas prices are heading gradually downward in the past 10 years.

After seeing the almost free Permian gas, new pipelines coming to Permian, more scale coming, etc, I would have thought active gas rigs elsewhere would be scared to 0 gas rigs. But yet active gas rigs in USA hold steady at 180-190. I have trouble understanding this. What are investors seeing that I don't see? I appreciate any good insights / answers.

(edited)

44 minutes ago, SamsScience said:

If the oil shale wells in the Permian basin can afford to produce secondary gas under $1 or simply flare it off, why do investors/companies, continue to drill more dry gas in Marcellus etc? Within a few years the Permian field should have large pipeline connections to Henry Hub and if the oil majors gradually expand Permian drilling scale, isn't it plausible to have $1 gas nationwide? The oil income seems capable to subsidize extremely low gas prices. Other than short term wintertime shortages, natural gas prices are heading gradually downward in the past 10 years.

After seeing the almost free Permian gas, new pipelines coming to Permian, more scale coming, etc, I would have thought active gas rigs elsewhere would be scared to 0 gas rigs. But yet active gas rigs in USA hold steady at 180-190. I have trouble understanding this. What are investors seeing that I don't see? I appreciate any good insights / answers.

What they DO NOT see is a giant network of VERY large and VERY expensive NG pipes from Texas to New England/Eastern Canada.  Same reason Canada imports NG even though they export far more than they import. Yes, there are a couple, but not nearly large enough.  Need 10X more. 

Transport

Reason those pipes do not exist or are being built slowly?  Illiterate greenies who pretend KWh's magically appear out of the air if they just hold hands at the end of the rainbow. 

Edited by Wastral
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1