Democrats Speaking Spanish during debate!

I was watching the democratic debate on TV and was shocked to see candidates speaking in Spanish. I’m not racist I live in Brasil and I am from the UK with a Brasilian Family.

I don’t believe a country should have to adapt its mother tongue to suit a target population that are probably illegally in the USA and cannot be bothered to learn the language. 

Stranger still this was directed at voters, in order to vote you need to be a citizen, how can you be a citizen of a country where you live and not speak the language.

Unbelievable how far the USA is bending on migrants.

  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

19 minutes ago, James Regan said:

I was watching the democratic debate on TV and was shocked to see candidates speaking in Spanish. I’m not racist I live in Brasil and I am from the UK with a Brasilian Family.

I don’t believe a country should have to adapt its mother tongue to suit a target population that are probably illegally in the USA and cannot be bothered to learn the language. 

Stranger still this was directed at voters, in order to vote you need to be a citizen, how can you be a citizen of a country where you live and not speak the language.

Unbelievable how far the USA is bending on migrants.

Not really, James.  Contrary to popular belief, the USA does not have an Official Language.  As for the "mother tongue" argument, that also does not survive the historical test, except perhaps in Boston and Plymouth  (English there).  The "mother tongue" of New York was Dutch.  The "mother tongue" of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Missouri was Spanish.  The "mother tongue" of Louisiana was French.  And the mother tongue of the Gadsden Purchase was Spanish.   While English has become the de-facto default language, it is not "Official."  The only place where English is exclusively used is in air traffic control, and that is the world over, by ICAO Convention  (yup, even in China, all pilots and controllers speak English on the radio).  Cheers.

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).png

Trump_Won_Debate_Cortez_Meme.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, James Regan said:

I was watching the democratic debate on TV and was shocked to see candidates speaking in Spanish. I’m not racist I live in Brasil and I am from the UK with a Brasilian Family.

I don’t believe a country should have to adapt its mother tongue to suit a target population that are probably illegally in the USA and cannot be bothered to learn the language. 

Stranger still this was directed at voters, in order to vote you need to be a citizen, how can you be a citizen of a country where you live and not speak the language.

Unbelievable how far the USA is bending on migrants.

"I don’t believe a country should have to adapt its mother tongue to suit a target population that are probably illegally in the USA" This would be the American settlers that illegally occupied Texas when it belonged to Spain and Mexico, as it did from 1500 onwards. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Not really, James.  Contrary to popular belief, the USA does not have an Official Language.  As for the "mother tongue" argument, that also does not survive the historical test, except perhaps in Boston and Plymouth  (English there).  The "mother tongue" of New York was Dutch.  The "mother tongue" of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Missouri was Spanish.  The "mother tongue" of Louisiana was French.  And the mother tongue of the Gadsden Purchase was Spanish.   While English has become the de-facto default language, it is not "Official."  The only place where English is exclusively used is in air traffic control, and that is the world over, by ICAO Convention  (yup, even in China, all pilots and controllers speak English on the radio).  Cheers.

However, the overall main language used for official business is English still  by default , even though the constitution may not declare an official "Federal" language.

Example of India, they have some 100+ languages and many more dialects and they use English for business.

I dont think any other country in the world would or does  bend over backwards to "accommodate" foreigners/illegals /foreign language speakers to pander for votes. What is the purpose of that anyways by the Democratic candidates? They think the illegals are going to hear them and vote for them? The American voters are citizens and they understand English .... these antics are nothing more than pandering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ceo_energemsier said:

However, the overall main language used for official business is English still  by default , even though the constitution may not declare an official "Federal" language.

Example of India, they have some 100+ languages and many more dialects and they use English for business.

I dont think any other country in the world would or does  bend over backwards to "accommodate" foreigners/illegals /foreign language speakers to pander for votes. What is the purpose of that anyways by the Democratic candidates? They think the illegals are going to hear them and vote for them? The American voters are citizens and they understand English .... these antics are nothing more than pandering.

 

I would disagree.  You are perfectly entitled to your opinions, of course.   If I were running for some political office, I would conduct the entire campaign in either Dutch, if along the Hudson River, or in French, if in Northern NY and Vermont.  You/anybody doesn't like it?  Hey, go vote for the other guy.  

And if I were running for office in Central Pennsylvania, the campaign would be exclusively in German.  So there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

I would disagree.  You are perfectly entitled to your opinions, of course.   If I were running for some political office, I would conduct the entire campaign in either Dutch, if along the Hudson River, or in French, if in Northern NY and Vermont.  You/anybody doesn't like it?  Hey, go vote for the other guy.  

And if I were running for office in Central Pennsylvania, the campaign would be exclusively in German.  So there!

Running for office of the President of the United States of America is not running for some political office along the Hudson River, or VT or N. NY, by that virtue then someone running for office could run their entire campaign in Hebrew, Mandarin, Portuguese, Sinhalese, Sindi, Gujarati, Farsi and what not. :D

After all running for the Office of the President OF the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA isnt running for the Office of the FRAGMENTED STATES OF AMERICA. :(;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Running for office of the President of the United States of America

Thank you for your responsive commentary.  As the US Constitution expressly forbids me to be a candidate for that specific office, obviously my comments and thoughts were not pointed to that Office.  Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

Thank you for your responsive commentary.  As the US Constitution expressly forbids me to be a candidate for that specific office, obviously my comments and thoughts were not pointed to that Office.  Thank you. 

And that is why I made the statement re the Office of the President that these candidates are vying for , it has a different platform and stage and their trying to pander to a certain segment by speaking a certain language................ well .... 👇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

However, the overall main language used for official business is English still  by default

Depends on where you are. You want to do business in Northern Maine, plan on doing it in French. Even Governor LePage's first or native language was French.  He did not learn English until High School.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image_5af0465e-20b9-47a2-826e-f16d0d04807120190628_103132.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It tells me that they have finally gotten rid of picayune symbolism and intend to deal with issues instead. that's assuming anybody actually thought about it, of course. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, English is the official language by custom and usage of trade.  It is folly to think that you need a statute, code or Constitutional amendment to establish English as an official language.  If you want to travel throughout the U.S., the only language that is guaranteed to be spoken is English.  Our laws are written in English.  Our courts are conducted in English.  Our contracts are virtually always written in English.

I just know what all the fuss is about.  I think it is a good thing that certain Americans are bilingual, trilingual or polyglots.  By only speaking English, you are limiting your understanding of the world.  By being able another language, you are expanding your political alliances, which is a good thing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Democrat debates are causing mass laughter.

 

6972896bc4fb5dde46a945c21a0bddb9396a7a38e4ae079cf5404c9906f15d60.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, James Regan said:

I was watching the democratic debate on TV and was shocked to see candidates speaking in Spanish. I’m not racist I live in Brasil and I am from the UK with a Brasilian Family.

I don’t believe a country should have to adapt its mother tongue to suit a target population that are probably illegally in the USA and cannot be bothered to learn the language. 

Stranger still this was directed at voters, in order to vote you need to be a citizen, how can you be a citizen of a country where you live and not speak the language.

Unbelievable how far the USA is bending on migrants.

Spanish is the second most used language after English and will increase its number of speakers because Democrats want their votes and want to let them in. That may end our country as we know it. I am part Spanish but only for legal immigration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Okie said:

I just know what all the fuss is about. 

The fuss is about the pathetic behavior of Americans in being so consistently monocultural.  As this is an international forum, I rather suspect this comment will be provoking knowing grins from persons outside the USA reading it. 

Time for Americans to be able to read Dr. Faust in the original German - and, say, memorize the opening Soliloquy. Or a manuscript by Honore de Balzac in French.  Until you get there, one's vision of the world remains arbitrarily constricted, a land of unfortunate cultural illusions, all demonstrating the profound failures of the (US) public school systems.  There are six million French-speaking persons living forty miles from my door and none of my neighbors even speak one word of French.  Not one word.  And their names are Castonguay, Frenette, Desaultels, Delarue, ...  Not one word of French, not even Bonjour.  Go figure. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

5 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The fuss is about the pathetic behavior of Americans in being so consistently monocultural.  As this is an international forum, I rather suspect this comment will be provoking knowing grins from persons outside the USA reading it. 

Time for Americans to be able to read Dr. Faust in the original German - and, say, memorize the opening Soliloquy. Or a manuscript by Honore de Balzac in French.  Until you get there, one's vision of the world remains arbitrarily constricted, a land of unfortunate cultural illusions, all demonstrating the profound failures of the (US) public school systems.  There are six million French-speaking persons living forty miles from my door and none of my neighbors even speak one word of French.  Not one word.  And their names are Castonguay, Frenette, Desaultels, Delarue, ...  Not one word of French, not even Bonjour.  Go figure. 

Every country has their own take on the use of language. If you go to France and start speaking English, it is not appreciated by most French and that has been the case for decades. The ability of being multilingual is a very good skill but it doesnt mean if you are not then it is a negative trait and makes you closed minded and racist or having a constipated view of the world LOL

By your reference, I guess anyone living close to the border of Iraq and Iran should be able to hold conversations in Farsi and Arabic?

Or the Israelis should be able to converse both in Hebrew and Arabic or the Jordanians vice versa!

It boils down to what is the common language for all intents and purposes and useful in daily lives of people in that area .

Do all Suisse citizens speak German and Italian or Romansh? No, and the Suisse have French, German and Italian as their official languages as well as Romansh.

Merci beaucoup, passez une bonne journee gentil monsieur

 

 

 

Edited by ceo_energemsier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites