MS

Disenfranchised people are angry people - map of global electoral systems

Recommended Posts

(edited)

Find your country. A lot of problems come from people not allowed their voice to be heard.

Apart from electoral system the second most important thing is ballot access, that means how high are entry barriers for your party or candidate to be even included on ballot paper.

Ballot access are rules and procedures under which candidate or party can appear on ballot list/paper. If barriers are low many candidates can appear on ballot paper and voter has a choice, if barriers are high very limited number of parties or candidates can appear on ballot paper and voter has limited choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electoral_systems_by_country

List of electoral systems by country

Lower house

 

image.thumb.png.805720788a269a1ead4885a3f17c399d.png  
   

 

Single-member constituencies:
  First past the post (FPTP)
  Two-round system (TRS)

Multi-member constituencies, majoritarian:

  Block voting (BV) or mixed FPTP and BV
  Party block voting (PBV) or mixed FPTP and PBV
  Single non-transferable vote (SNTV) or mixed FPTP and SNTV
  Modified cumulative voting
  Modified Borda count

Multi-member constituencies, proportional:

Mixed majoritarian and proportional:
  Mixed-member proportional representation (party-list PR and FPTP)
  Mixed-member proportional representation (party-list PR and TRS)
  Parallel voting (party-list PR and FPTP)
  Parallel voting (party-list PR and TRS)
  Parallel voting (party-list PR and BV or PBV)
  Parallel voting (party-list PR and SNTV)

Indirect election:

  Election by legislature
  Election by electoral college or local legislatures
  Partly election by electoral college or local legislatures and appointed by head of state

 

  Appointed by head of state
  No direct election
  No information/Unicameral legislature

 

Edited by Marcin
added definition of ballot access

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good map.  please elaborate your points. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frankfurter said:

good map.  please elaborate your points. 

First example: France

Please find below 2017 parliamentary election results:

Voters of 2 major parties:

La France Insoumise: 11.03% of votes and 2.95% of seats

and National Front (Le Pen party) 13.20% of votes and 1.39% of seats

virtually do not have their representation in parliament,

cannot drive their agenda through democratic process.

 

 Summary of the 11 and 18 June 2017 French National Assembly election results
Assemble Nationale française - 15 Législature - Partis politiques en juin 2017.svg
Parties and coalitions First round Second round Total
Votes % Seats Votes % Seats Seats %
    La République En Marche! LREM 6,391,269 28.21 2 7,826,245 43.06 306 308 53.38
  Democratic Movement MoDem 932,227 4.12 0 1,100,656 6.06 42 42 7.28
Presidential majority (centre) 7,323,496 32.33 2 8,926,901 49.11 348 350 60.66
    The Republicans LR 3,573,427 15.77 0 4,040,203 22.23 112 112 19.41
  Union of Democrats and Independents UDI 687,225 3.03 1 551,784 3.04 17 18 3.12
  Miscellaneous right DVD 625,345 2.76 0 306,074 1.68 6 6 1.04
Parliamentary right 4,885,997 21.57 1 4,898,061 26.95 135 136 23.57
    Socialist Party PS 1,685,677 7.44 0 1,032,842 5.68 30 30 5.20
  Miscellaneous left DVG 362,281 1.60 1 263,488 1.45 11 12 2.08
  Radical Party of the Left PRG 106,311 0.47 0 64,860 0.36 3 3 0.52
Parliamentary left 2,154,269 9.51 1 1,361,190 7.49 44 45 7.80
  La France Insoumise FI 2,497,622 11.03 0 883,573 4.86 17 17 2.95
  French Communist Party PCF 615,487 2.72 0 217,833 1.20 10 10 1.73
  National Front FN 2,990,454 13.20 0 1,590,869 8.75 8 8 1.39
  Regionalists REG 204,049 0.90 0 137,490 0.76 5 5 0.87
  Miscellaneous DIV 500,309 2.21 0 100,574 0.55 3 3 0.52
  Ecologists ECO 973,527 4.30 0 23,197 0.13 1 1 0.17
  Debout la France DLF 265,420 1.17 0 17,344 0.10 1 1 0.17
  Far-right EXD 68,320 0.30 0 19,034 0.10 1 1 0.17
  Far-left EXG 175,214 0.77 0 0 0.00
 
Total 22,654,164 100.00 4 18,176,066 100.00 573 577 100.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So these disenfranchised French people, banned from exercising indirect democracy,

used the only other type of democracy available: direct democracy, in the form of demonstrations, protests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second example: United States.

Because of 1. 1 mandate constituences with  first-past-the-post rule and 2 . prohobitively high ballot access hurdles no new party for the last 150 years and no new party can ever in the future represent Americans in Congress.

It has grave consequences for some social groups and medium consequences for the rest of society. United States is a country with very high racial discrimination but black people although constitute 12.7% of US population have no party really representing their interests in the House. So for black male in 2019 still the best career opportunities are in criminal industry. For small minority also in sports and entertainment. Black babies are not born more stupid or violent than white babies. But discrimination in access to education, healthcare, jobs, politics etc. destroys their lifes.

What is in it for the rest of American society.

Probably much less crime and crime related costs, better GDP, it pays to not discriminate minorities. At present US has 3 to 5 times violent crimes rate in comparison with EU countries.

 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, your solution is Communism...  Everyone is equal in poverty... no franchise. 

As for your idiocy about demographics and USA voting etc... appears you need a history lesson or two regarding crime statistics, but why bother as you already made the absurd voting statement as if there is a single hurdle anywhere.  Heck, do not even have to prove you are a USA citizen(birth certificate/passport) I sure as heck never did when I registered 30 years ago.  All it requires is a drivers license and not even that in some Demorat districts.  Yet you claim there are hurdles to voting. Uh huh.

PS: Please stop being a racist demanding black people vote(and apparently only Africans) according to their skin color instead of the content of their Character and what is in their minds and hearts. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

So, your solution is Communism...  Everyone is equal in poverty... no franchise. 

As for your idiocy about demographics and USA voting etc... appears you need a history lesson or two regarding crime statistics, but why bother as you already made the absurd voting statement as if there is a single hurdle anywhere.  Heck, do not even have to prove you are a USA citizen(birth certificate/passport) I sure as heck never did when I registered 30 years ago.  All it requires is a drivers license and not even that in some Demorat districts.  Yet you claim there are hurdles to voting. Uh huh.

PS: Please stop being a racist demanding black people vote(and apparently only Africans) according to their skin color instead of the content of their Character and what is in their minds and hearts. 

Thank you for your comment, I added the definition of ballot access as used in this topic (ability to put the name of candidate or party on ballot paper, so that voter can vote on them). You understood it as ability to cast vote, sorry for misunderstanding. I have no opinion on this one , because I do not know.

It is difficult to imagine for me that you can vote without a valid photo ID in US, total anarchy!, I am with you on this one. We had parliamentary election last Sunday in Poland. I go to my designated polling station, they need to have me on voters list and I have to show Polish ID or passport. They do not accept drivers licence as anybody can have them issued if simply knows how to drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

So, your solution is Communism...  Everyone is equal in poverty... no franchise. 

As for your idiocy about demographics and USA voting etc... appears you need a history lesson or two regarding crime statistics, but why bother as you already made the absurd voting statement as if there is a single hurdle anywhere.  Heck, do not even have to prove you are a USA citizen(birth certificate/passport) I sure as heck never did when I registered 30 years ago.  All it requires is a drivers license and not even that in some Demorat districts.  Yet you claim there are hurdles to voting. Uh huh.

PS: Please stop being a racist demanding black people vote(and apparently only Africans) according to their skin color instead of the content of their Character and what is in their minds and hearts. 

 
350px-US_Prisoner_Demographics.svg.png
 

The 2015 US prison population by race, ethnicity, and gender. Does not include jails.[66

Black male has 7 times more chance to be in jail than white male, black female has twice the chance being jailed than white female. I think black and white babies are born equal but racial discrimination stunts their lives.

And none of Democratic or Republican parties represent interests of black people in US in the way they could be represented by their own party. Racism in the US does not allow this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Blacks are the wealthiest and most successful in the entire world. They have the most opportunity and they have more jobs available than ever. The average Black African makes about $4,000 a year if that. Many are enslaved in Muslim countries. No reports of this in mainstream journalism. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

39 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

American Blacks are the wealthiest and most successful in the entire world. They have the most opportunity and they have more jobs available than ever. The average Black African makes about $4,000 a year if that. Many are enslaved in Muslim countries. No reports of this in mainstream journalism. 


Other than British Bermuda which is ruled by the Queen's appointed Governor, but a good point nonetheless. Black unemployment is at it's lowest in history ever, and the media doesn't want to give credit to the President on that mark. The problem is the low labor force participation rate, many people choose not to work, and the welfare trap (if they make more money, they lose benefits and get taxed higher, I know people who got a $3,000 raise that ended up costing them $5,000 in benefits and tax increases so they actually lost money by making more money).

 

Jamaica is jealous of Bermuda. https://web.archive.org/web/20190809114315/https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009487/We-stayed-Britain-Shock-poll-reveals-60-Jamaicans-think-theyd-better-colony.html 

For some reason dailymail took down that article recently (8 years later) after I shared it in a few places.... 😏 Interestingly, no other polling company has ever done polling on this subject in the former colonies in the 8 years since this now censored poll, despite the fact it made great headlines and it is likely other "shock polls" would emerge if polling was done throughout former colonies.  The idea that Europe and America have not been beneficial for black people is rejected by those peoples when they finally are independent. Notice black Americans are not clamoring to have a separate nation? If Americans are so oppressive and bad and have some implicit bias they can never overcome, then why do you still want to be part of the same nation and forever "oppressed"?

By the way, the average black Bermudan ruled by the Queen makes more than $60,000/year, which means they are wealthier than the average white American...

Edited by IronResolve
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, IronResolve said:


Other than British Bermuda which is ruled by the Queen's appointed Governor, but a good point nonetheless. Black unemployment is at it's lowest in history ever, and the media doesn't want to give credit to the President on that mark. The problem is the low labor force participation rate, many people choose not to work, and the welfare trap (if they make more money, they lose benefits and get taxed higher, I know people who got a $3,000 raise that ended up costing them $5,000 in benefits and tax increases so they actually lost money by making more money).

 

Jamaica is jealous of Bermuda. https://web.archive.org/web/20190809114315/https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009487/We-stayed-Britain-Shock-poll-reveals-60-Jamaicans-think-theyd-better-colony.html 

For some reason dailymail took down that article recently (8 years later) after I shared it in a few places.... 😏 Interestingly, no other polling company has ever done polling on this subject in the former colonies in the 8 years since this now censored poll, despite the fact it made great headlines and it is likely other "shock polls" would emerge if polling was done throughout former colonies.  The idea that Europe and America have not been beneficial for black people is rejected by those peoples when they finally are independent. Notice black Americans are not clamoring to have a separate nation? If Americans are so oppressive and bad and have some implicit bias they can never overcome, then why do you still want to be part of the same nation and forever "oppressed"?

By the way, the average black Bermudan ruled by the Queen makes more than $60,000/year, which means they are wealthier than the average white American...

Thanks for the correction, I was not aware of Bermudans situation. Bravo for them. I am looking forward to a visit after they recover from the last hurricane. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Marcin said:

United States is a country with very high racial discrimination but black people although constitute 12.7% of US population have no party really representing their interests in the House

If the US is such a racist country, how in the hell did we elect a black president? Smoke and mirrors? 

The blacks in the US vote Democratic Party over 90% of the time, the black congressional caucus is 100% black and always has been

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

If the US is such a racist country, how in the hell did we elect a black president? Smoke and mirrors? 

The blacks in the US vote Democratic Party over 90% of the time, the black congressional caucus is 100% black and always has been

The issue was that United States can ever have only 2 parties (which is still 200% better than China) due to its electoral system. And as a consequence of rigid political system, groups of society or minorities do not have their agenda realized in a way that could be realized if more democratic system, with additional parties was allowed. Black minority was just example. Primary example of discrimination is lack of universal healthcare coverage: every other high income country and majority of upper-middle income countries take this social good for granted.

I do not say that situation of black people is very bad in US I say they are discriminated as cannot have representation and there is a lot of data proving this discrimination. Ask your black friend whether he ever felt discriminated and how, oops I forgot taboo topic.

This discussion is highly hypothetical as US will never have multi-party system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Some countries don't even have elections ...

Just sayin'

Ah, just had quick scan and now it's about blacks in prison...?? 

This place is truly hilarious. 

Edited by DayTrader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.