Canadian solar companies sue US over tariffs

Three Canadian companies that make solar panels are suing the Trump administration over the 30-percent tariffs the president imposed last month on their products. In the lawsuit filed in the United States Court of International Trade, companies say that since Canadian solar imports do not harm United States producers and that the tariffs violate the NAFTA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think EU countries will also follow the lawsuit or demand some kind of compensation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Stephen said:

I think EU countries will also follow the lawsuit or demand some kind of compensation

South Korea and Taiwan have separately filed complaints in the World Trade Organization over the solar tariffs. Question is, can we go against whole world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just one of many tariffs the US has levied against Canada, after lumber, paper, passenger jets. Nothing new here, and it won't be the last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, let's see. Silbar is actually Taiwanese company, Pan Asia Solar. So they aren't actually Canadian. Also, iImported Chinese solar panels to be subject to stiff duties in Canada. So Canada, give me a break. You are doing the same thing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnAtronis said:

Well, let's see. Silbar is actually Taiwanese company, Pan Asia Solar. So they aren't actually Canadian. Also, iImported Chinese solar panels to be subject to stiff duties in Canada. So Canada, give me a break. You are doing the same thing

 

It doesn't matter who is the owner. If they manufacture in Canada, they have the right to sell them to their NAFTA partners tariff free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

Well, let's see. Silbar is actually Taiwanese company, Pan Asia Solar. So they aren't actually Canadian. Also, iImported Chinese solar panels to be subject to stiff duties in Canada. So Canada, give me a break. You are doing the same thing

 

It's not hypocrisy for Canada to be imposing tariffs on a country that isn't part of NAFTA, but upholding the USA to their agreement, regardless of whether or not you like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine the uproar if they tried to put a 30% tariff on foreign oil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

It doesn't matter who is the owner. If they manufacture in Canada, they have the right to sell them to their NAFTA partners tariff free. 

The materials they use to build the panels comes from China and in many cases they are just assembling them in Canada. It's a way for the Chinese bypass the tariffs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnAtronis said:

The materials they use to build the panels comes from China and in many cases they are just assembling them in Canada. It's a way for the Chinese bypass the tariffs.

so are all of the US solar panel manufacturers are foreign owned. Tariffs are poorly thought out and its also bad economics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0