Tom Kirkman

Is Eating Meat Worse Than Burning Oil?

(edited)

11 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

PS: IT was cow diseases brought to New world by ranchers in Texas which killed off the millions upon millions of buffalo in North America with ~90% death rate, not hunters.  There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time. 

"There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time"- Bullshit, stop trying to make excuses for having too many guns, you have them and it won't change, a typical Indian hunt was one buffalo at a time with a bow, a typical kill for a settler was one gun lots of ammunition, lots of buffalo, doesn't matter how many people have a gun, bullets are the factor here.

The disease being greed by the fur hunters, settlers brought mad cow with them, thats a good one, the diseases brought were what diseased the indigenous people, unless they were beefing buffalos, lol omg this is brilliant, I'm sure the natives agree....

Ask this man one of the NRAs biggest advocates , the mad Detroit axe man......A prolific bow hunter also who has a huge stance of the reason why the buffalo were eradicated (almost), the GUN.

https://youtu.be/VMZwS0ZonEU

Edited by James Regan

(edited)

19 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You’re out there man, WAY out there!

I'll have just a smidgeon of what he's smoking, as its obviously strong as F$%j, as I don't want to ruin my weekend totally.

Edited by James Regan

(edited)

17 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Cows must be moved often, otherwise they destroy.  Especially on poor sites.  One reason Buffalo are great.  They move by themselves unlike cows and Buffalo WALLOW unlike cows which creates ponds everywhere when it rains.  Buffalo also withstand much more severe weather.  Buffalo leather is also superior. 

The only problem, % meat/cow/time.  Cow is ~75--80% meat and Buffalo with its much larger bones and corresponding slower growth rate is only approx 50%, but the leather is superior.

For above reasons it seems rather obvious when the industry is breeding cross breeds trying to get the best from both.  Who knows when they will succeed.

PS: IT was cow diseases brought to New world by ranchers in Texas which killed off the millions upon millions of buffalo in North America with ~90% death rate, not hunters.  There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time. 

PPS: Have ranching family in Wyoming.  So, if I stated anything wrong, I will pass the buck and say my family set me up.  😜

Nope, looks alright to me. Cows DO need to be moved often. It's the only way to ensure that their grazing stimulates plant growth rather than just destroying the plants. It comes down to how we handle the cattle obviously. The fact that the buffalo are gone should be a reason to increase the amount of grazing animals in North America IMO. Many ranchers see good money in the buffalo sector, not just from high prices but because taking care of buffalo in the same way that you would care for cows (pulling calves, working them for vaccines, castration etc.) is a death sentence. They're too wild to be treated like cows, so they're basically on their own and easy to take care of. In the end the means lower input costs as well. 

[EDIT] I should note too that buffalo can't move themselves out of a fenced paddock without the use of an ATV either, so that particular advantage is sort of gone. Cows, if they have the option, will also roam freely, but it's not as efficient as keeping them in 40 acre paddocks or more depending on herd size. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior

7 hours ago, James Regan said:

"There were not enough hunters with guns to kill off the herds at the time"- Bullshit, stop trying to make excuses for having too many guns, you have them and it won't change, a typical Indian hunt was one buffalo at a time with a bow, a typical kill for a settler was one gun lots of ammunition, lots of buffalo, doesn't matter how many people have a gun, bullets are the factor here.

To start with there are eye witness accounts of whole herds hundreds of thousands sick, dying, or dead, but it is not glorious to print this up in the western dime novels and cowboys/indians TV shows which dominated media...  bang bang shooty shooty makes more money.

1) Indians did not use the bow and arrow on the Buffalo to kill them. They used fire, yelling and drums etc to make noise and run them off cliffs en masse.... An arrow in a buffalo, 🤣do you love being gored?  The front/side of them is literally all bone.  Makes Elk/moose/grizzly hunting look nice and tame.  Google Buffalo jump

2) Dude: There were 30-->100 MILLION Buffalo... Half are females... Simple math time: How many babies a year? Roughly 40% in the wild percentage of female herd.  So, roughly 10 million new each YEAR you have to kill and upwards of 40 million.  Cows it is roughly 80%.  What was the population of the USA again? 

Disease

Sandoz states “… there was apparently no disease on all the continent that threatened the buffalo in any number.” That is debatable but certainly was no longer true once the European Americans arrived with their domestic cattle.

In 1825, a “murrain” wiped out all of the hoofed animals in eastern Nebraska resulting in the starvation of some Native Americans in the area, and again in 1858 all of the hoofed animals along the trails between Fort Laramie and Bridger died. Sierra Stoneberg-Holt, Phd., a rancher and scientist in Montana says “…the die-offs in Nebraska seem to match anthrax, and there is a strain of anthrax that was native to that area since about the Pleistocene.

Yellowstone Kelly, a trapper, wrote this account circa 1867: 

Our course led over rolling prairie when we crossed a high and level plain which extended for many miles. The plain was covered with a thin coating of ice, and on all sides as far as the eye could reach was dotted with bodies of dead buffaloes. These animals were in good condition and bore no mark of bullet or arrow wounds. The cause of their death was a mystery to us. As we marched over the plain toward the valley of the Cheyenne, the appearance of so many carcasses scattered around made a strong impression on my mind, perhaps because they were the first buffaloes I had ever seen.

**** Did Humans cause them to go nearly extinct?  Yes.  Was there more than one factor at work?  Yes.  *****

**** Are all buffalo in North America immunized to Brucelitis and other cow diseaes... I think the answer is yes now **** and there are now a couple million of them... with some amount of cow in them. 

PS: Buffalo can taste everything from gamey(blarf) to no different from a cow depending on what they eat and when you harvest.  I would bet that 99% of what everyone has eaten and claimed to be "Buffalo" in in actuality at least 25% or 50% genetic cow. 

• Great Response! 1

The food that can feed, and maybe save, the planet: Bugs

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/health/insects-feed-save-planet-wellness/index.html

The climate change folks and stunkburg and all their kind are welcome to start by slurping up all the creepy crawlies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will be enjoying my Wagyu T-Bone. More meat for us!!!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Grass fed beef (organic), buffalo (bison as well as water buffalo) and the best I have had is Wagyu, nothing beats that, I just mainly eat wagyu , the flavour  is incredible and amazing and so tender .....

zwagyu2.jpg

zwagyu3.jpg

zwagyue.JPG

I had a great Kobe burger at a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. I have never seen beef that marbled. I hope to come across some. Where do you buy it?

(edited)

28 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

I had a great Kobe burger at a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. I have never seen beef that marbled. I hope to come across some. Where do you buy it?

You can buy Wagyu at Costco as well.

But here are some links for other places

http://abarnranch.com/

https://www.texascraftwagyu.com/

https://www.mishimareserve.com/wagyu-beef

Many years ago, I had bought some Wagyu cattle from one of the TX breeders and have have maintained a herd in CO, TX and MT. I dont market and sell those for wholesale or retail. Just enough  to sustain a constant and good supply of wagyu for gastronomical pleasures.

Edited by ceo_energemsier
  • Upvote 2