Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Regan

Shale worm is turning...

Please consider adding the link to my recently published paper entitled, “Water, Trump, and Israel’s National Security” to your web site. Here is the link https://besacenter.org/mideast-security-and-policy-studies/water-israel-national-security/ .

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Access to potable water is critical for Israel’s future, yet the country depends more and more on its desalination plants, aquifers, and water from outside its borders. Pollution and other factors may jeopardize water supplies as Israel extracts oil and natural gas on and off its coast. American oil and natural gas firms, with the assistance of the Trump administration, may pressure the Israeli government to allow the extraction of these resources in exchange for additional assistance. Jerusalem must put access to potable water at the forefront of its national security goals.

Sincerely,

Dr. Donald D.A. Schaefer

53 minutes ago, Donald Schaefer said:

Please consider adding the link to my recently published paper entitled, “Water, Trump, and Israel’s National Security” to your web site. Here is the link https://besacenter.org/mideast-security-and-policy-studies/water-israel-national-security/ .

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Access to potable water is critical for Israel’s future, yet the country depends more and more on its desalination plants, aquifers, and water from outside its borders. Pollution and other factors may jeopardize water supplies as Israel extracts oil and natural gas on and off its coast. American oil and natural gas firms, with the assistance of the Trump administration, may pressure the Israeli government to allow the extraction of these resources in exchange for additional assistance. Jerusalem must put access to potable water at the forefront of its national security goals.

Sincerely,

Dr. Donald D.A. Schaefer

Read it,

Seems your anti-oil, gas and don't understand modern drilling technics. Off the coast no less I doubt there would be any pollution from drilling. I am thinking your not a 3rd world country and I would bet the waste of water is like dumb ass California political crap. Cry in the drought time and cry when rains and hills collapse because poor management. I suggest a big cement reservoir and hire VLCC to ship in fresh water for irrigation and such. There are solutions that are cost effective. If you don't implement a waste-water system and turn it back to usable water is beyond me.  

How deep are the rigs drilling and at what depth is potable water? If drilling below sea-bed to say 6k feet, your not getting well water at that depth. So as a Dr. I would suggest other means of accruing potable water, put your education to benefit. 

I don’t get this idea of the US needing more refineries.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_wkly_dc_NUS-Z00_mbblpd_4.htm

It looks to me that crude and products exports average 5.5-6 mbpd more than the US consumes. If anything the US should eliminate about 4 mbpd of imports to support our domestically produced oil.

Start by eliminating those foreign owned refineries which we don’t need for consumption. Like those who cut up American citizens with saws.

30 minutes ago, Boat said:

It looks to me that crude and products exports average 5.5-6 mbpd more than the US consumes. If anything the US should eliminate about 4 mbpd of imports to support our domestically produced oil.

The refineries we have are ancient, added on to some in the 90's and again early 2000's, the BP refinery. It is a heavy crude refinery and petro-chemicals, diesel. There are no refineries in the US that is set up to refine "shale oil". We import a lot of sour and heavy crudes, make lots of gasolines and distillates and consume a lot of it, and ship out to other nations for a profit. 

(edited)

4 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

The refineries we have are ancient, added on to some in the 90's and again early 2000's, the BP refinery. It is a heavy crude refinery and petro-chemicals, diesel. There are no refineries in the US that is set up to refine "shale oil". We import a lot of sour and heavy crudes, make lots of gasolines and distillates and consume a lot of it, and ship out to other nations for a profit. 

Changing a refinery from heavy to light actually provides a very good return on investment.  Valero did it.

The third time Saudis/Opec put the squeeze on U.S. oil the American Majors invested heavily in (1) upgrading refineries for heavy oil and (2) investing in Venezuela. 

After Venezuela nationalized oil industry.  The World Oil Companies all invested in Canadian Tar Sands. The heavy oil yielded more diesel and required more expensive refineries. But still cheaper than paying up for Saidi/Opec oil...

So why still importing foreign oil ?

Much of the importing and exporting by majors is for tax ressons. Play games with tranfer pricing so pay NO U.S.  CORPORATE INCOME TAXES.

You might have heard of the "triangle trade" ? U.S. sells Gulf Coast diesel to their offshore shipping subsidiary at cost, sells it European subsidiary at big profit, who sells European refined gasoline at cost to same shipping sub, who sells at full price to U.S. Retail at full price.  All the profit stays in offshore shipping sub domiciled in Bermuda or Cayman Islands . No Corp Income tax. Plus circumvents jones act if shipped directly Gulf to East Coast.

Was huge saving before Trump lowered Corp Income tax.  

It is why the refinery in Phiadelphia that burned could not compete.  

Edited by Jabbar
  • Like 2

The basic issue here is for Israel to maintain access to sustainable levels of potable, e.g., drinkable, water. Currently, Israel gets over 70 percent of its drinkable water from its desalination plants that rely heavily on water from the Mediterranean Sea (though some of it comes from ground water that is saline in nature). With the continued rise in oil exploration in the Mediterranean Sea, there is a strong likelihood of an oil spill and/or discharge of oil off of or near Israel's coastline. The Achilles heel for Israel's desalination plants in regards to its oil exportation are the currents that flow near Israel (see slides 20 -22 of my presentation). Should there be an oil spill (as explained in my article) all it take is a small amount of oil to get into the intake areas of the pipes that feed the desalination plants to shut them down, and make them -- for all practicable purposes -- unusable. Much like the Gulf of Mexico, however, the basic discharge from the oil drilling and extraction may be enough to hinder these desalination plants from working because of the small amount of oil that may be discharged and get into the intake pipes for the desalination plants. Given the sheer volume of water and percentage of its use from the desalination plants, the stoppage of these plants or the limited use of them could forever cripple the future of Israel. Please take a few minutes or so and read my presentation and article, and realize that Israel must put access to potable water at the forefront of its national security goals in order to survive as a nation. Please pass along my article and its link -- as the future of Israel matters! Best wishes, Dr. Schaefer

SchaeferDDA-Water Trump and Israel's National Security.pdf