Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kirkman

Nord Stream 2 Offshore Natural Gas Pipeline Project (Infographics)

(edited)

On 12/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Gerry Maddoux said:

Technical know-how. Name one thing Russia exports other than oil and gas. But Germany? Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Siemens products, orthopedic equipment, drugs out the wazoo, beer. 

First of all,36-40% of their oil exports are refined oil products. Russia is the leading exporter of nuclear reactors in the world - NPP construction, fuel rods, services. Their weapons exports ($15 billion a year) span the whole spectrum of systems (inc. jets and jet engines, submarines, radars, ships, helicopters, transport planes). Their IT/programming exports increased from $2-$3 billion ten years ago to $10 billion in 2018. Agriculture and food exports - $20-$25 billion a year. Also transit services are growing each year thanks to EU-China turnover and the growing North-South transit with and through Iran and to India. So, yes, while oil, gas, and oil products (refined, added value products) make up 60%-67% of exports on any given year, there are other industries and sectors. Don't take ignorance as evidence - if you don't know about it, it still exists.  

P.S. They also export security, unlike Germany which is a bystander and takes what is given. They export security across large parts of Eurasia and Middle East as well now. In a real world of international politics, it is of value. Ask Iran, Syria, Turkey, Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Venezuela. It is a commodity that a handful of countries - perhaps 3 only - can export.

Edited by Leroy Cox
added
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

First of all,36-40% of their oil exports are refined oil products. Russia is the leading exporter of nuclear reactors in the world - NPP construction, fuel rods, services. Their weapons exports ($15 billion a year) span the whole spectrum of systems (inc. jets and jet engines, submarines, radars, ships, helicopters, transport planes). Their IT/programming exports increased from $2-$3 billion ten years ago to $10 billion in 2018. Agriculture and food exports - $20-$25 billion a year. Also transit services are growing each year thanks to EU-China turnover and the growing North-South transit with and through Iran and to India. So, yes, while oil, gas, and oil products (refined, added value products) make up 60%-67% of exports on any given year, there are other industries and sectors. Don't take ignorance as evidence - if you don't know about it, it still exists.  

P.S. They also export security, unlike Germany which is a bystander and takes what is given. They export security across large parts of Eurasia and Middle East as well now. In a real world of international politics, it is of value. Ask Iran, Syria, Turkey, Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Venezuela. It is a commodity that a handful of countries - perhaps 3 only - can export.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tomasz said:

It so happens that the Russians did very solid research during last couple of years and it turned out that the major geopolitical rivals for Russia are now the West and not China.

Are you sure? Russia and China borders each other and seems more natural opponents than China and US.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Marcin said:

As far as I remember Germany natural gas imports are diversified: they also import gas from Norway and Netherlands and have capability to import LNG. Imports from Russia should be most stable due to natural gas reserves/output ration.

Currently this is true however the Groningen gas field is set to be permanently closed from 2022 8 years early due to minor earthquakes due to the gas extraction. This may well be the real reason why Germany has gone looking elsewhere and Putin can’t wait to step in!

11 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Are you sure? Russia and China borders each other and seems more natural opponents than China and US.

No logical basis to that comment Mr Jorgensen unless we should infer that somehow contiguous borders are a greater pretext for "opposition" than ideology.

• Upvote 2

On 12/22/2019 at 6:39 AM, Marcin said:

As far as I remember Germany natural gas imports are diversified: they also import gas from Norway and Netherlands and have capability to import LNG. Imports from Russia should be most stable due to natural gas reserves/output ration.

Gas field in Norway already closed, gas field in Netherlands to expire by 2022. Hence all the activity!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2019 at 8:55 AM, Leroy Cox said:

Russia also exports a lot of minerals. Along with Canada, they control global phosphate market. Also major competitor to Australia in coal and Nickel markets.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:06 PM, remake it said:

No logical basis to that comment Mr Jorgensen unless we should infer that somehow contiguous borders are a greater pretext for "opposition" than ideology.

Russia has lots of natural resources. China needs these. why spend lots resources on OBOR when you can exert influence on a neighbouring country ? 

(edited)

Another movie twist like in a decent detective story.
The current return means that Allseas should have enough time to complete the pipeline.

MOSCOW, Dec 27 - RIA News. The US State Department clarified that Nord Stream 2 contracting companies can avoid sanctions if they stop work before January 20, 2020.
A statement on the agency’s website said that the parties involved in the project should "immediately demonstrate conscientious efforts to curtail their activities."k announced the option of completing the "Nord Stream - 2"
They "must complete the folding within 30 days" after the adoption of the budget law, said in a press release.
The State Department recalled that the Secretary of State will prepare a report for the US Congress within 60 days, in which he will analyze who violates the law“The United States government strongly supports diversification of energy supplies, as alternatives help reduce the role of geopolitics in energy markets, lower consumer prices and increase the energy security of energy recipient countries. For example, it was estimated that US LNG saved eight billion dollars for European consumers by allowing they agree on lower prices with existing suppliers, "- said in a statement.After Washington imposed sanctions on energy facilities, Moscow announced that a corresponding reaction would follow.
Thus, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova noted that “no one has yet repealed” the principle of a symmetrical response to such “unfriendly attacks”sia will respond to US aggressive attacks
Europe has also responded to US sanctions. Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok said the situation is unacceptable in which the United States could tell another country where to get energy from.

Ulrike Demmer, deputy spokesman for the FRG government, emphasized that Berlin is opposed to extraterritorial sanctions by the United States, as they "are directed against German and European companies and constitute interference in our internal affairs."

Sanctions against pipelines

US President Donald Trump signed a defense budget for 2020 on December 20, which provides for sanctions against the Nord Stream 2 and Turkish Stream projects.
Washington demanded that contracting companies stop construction. The Allseas company, which is engaged in the laying of Nord Stream 2, suspended work and diverted special vessels.
The official representative of the project company Jens Muller said that it remains to lay about 160 kilometers of the pipeline of 2,460 kilometers.

Edited by kommersant
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Russia has lots of natural resources. China needs these. why spend lots resources on OBOR when you can exert influence on a neighbouring country ? 

You suggested borders led to "natural opponents" and now propose that it's about resources whereas the equal argument is that neighbors are better served by cooperation rather than aggression,

7 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Russia and China are natural allies, not natural opponents. Both countries are complementary to themselves.

China is a stronger partner so naturally will have more benefits from this bilateral relation.

- Both are dictatorships,

Complementary: Russia vs China:

high tech military technology, arms exporter vs. large military budget but 20 years backwards technologically and arms importer

sparsely populated vs. densely populated,

relatively small population in comparison to resources (Russia could have 600 million people, 4 times current population and still function well) vs. very high population in comparison to resources, close to natural limits of area (China could not have +50% of current population)

vast hydrocarbons reserves vs. scarse hydrocarbons reserves and large demand

Central Asia with Caspian Sea and its large hydrocarbon reserves is under direct control of both countries for 18 years,

Russia is economically weak and needs defender against foreign sanctions vs China is economically very strong and out of reach of any sanctions (like US), could provide unlimited economic protection for Russia,

Russia has large and sophisticated nuclear arsenal  vs realtively small and technologically backward arsenal so Russia is natural insurance policy for China against US first strike.

Both countries have common enemy (US) that is existential threat to their survival

Till both countries co-operate other hegemonic country could not arise on Earth due to limitations of geography

China will support any dictatorship after Putin so can prevent any democratization processes in Russia (not indefinitely, but at least for 2-3 generation from now). It is in Putin interest to have peaceful life with appointed heir ruling Russia after his retirement

and so on.

Of course this conditions can change, but not in 40 years perspective (till Russian hydrocarbons are depleted).

• Upvote 2

On 12/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, remake it said:

You suggested borders led to "natural opponents"

No, I did not. I said they seems more natural opponents. I didn't say why.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I meant that Russia has natural resources China wants and Russias resouces are easier to access than Africas or Venezuelas.

And as @Marcin qualified the only reason China has exerted influence yet on border regions that Russia still has a tech advantage in some areas. 

2 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

No, I did not. I said they seems more natural opponents. I didn't say why.

I meant that Russia has natural resources China wants and Russias resouces are easier to access than Africas or Venezuelas.

And as @Marcin qualified the only reason China has exerted influence yet on border regions that Russia still has a tech advantage in some areas. 

True but there is no logical reason why contiguous borders would lead to nations opposing one another as the world is awash with cooperative trade deals.

3 minutes ago, remake it said:

True but there is no logical reason why contiguous borders would lead to nations opposing one another as the world is awash with cooperative trade deals.

OK. Opponents was not the best choice of words. What I was trying to get to though is that once China is on par with Russia in military tech their approach to Russia will change. They will demand better terms in their trade deals. 

I get I could have chosen my words better. Forgive me, English is not my first language.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

OK. Opponents was not the best choice of words. What I was trying to get to though is that once China is on par with Russia in military tech their approach to Russia will change. They will demand better terms in their trade deals. 

I get I could have chosen my words better. Forgive me, English is not my first language.

You are always very generous Mr Jorgensen and it is true that stronger economies will always try to out-hustle weaker ones but do you really think that today's China regards itself lesser than Russia - and in your form of words this is an honest question.

9 minutes ago, remake it said:

do you really think that today's China regards itself lesser than Russia - and in your form of words this is an honest question.

I think that China gives Russia much better terms than they give African, South American or SEA countries. Also better terms than comparative economic strength warrants. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I think that China gives Russia much better terms than they give African, South American or SEA countries. Also better terms than comparative economic strength warrants. 

Data please!

On 12/27/2019 at 9:07 PM, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Those resources are spare capacity.  You either close the factories down and lay off workers, or else you export them.