DW

Trump reinvented tariffs and it worked

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

As politically incorrect as it may sound, I do not believe that the US would ‘embrace’ a gay president at this point.

I said that about a "black" president and look what happened

Your'e probably right about southern/middle America and bible belt territories though.

I don't think you're post was politically incorrect at all, maybe its because I'm not politically correct myself though.

Is homophobia still prevalent in the US, or is it more regional??

In the UK its almost a crime to be straight these days

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

As politically incorrect as it may sound, I do not believe that the US would ‘embrace’ a gay president at this point.

Pete, Obama, and Pete's husband.

 

Screenshot_2020-02-14_Pete_Buttigieg's_husband_takes_spotlight_in_the_race_to_'First_Gent'.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The Spooks Choice:  Coup plotters and CIA agents fill Pete Buttigieg's list of endorsers   (see attached PDF below)

Why are so many intelligence veterans throwing their weight behind a young Indiana mayor with such a thin foreign policy resume?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6591451/Foreign-Policy-and-National-Security-Statement.pdf

Foreign Policy and National Security Statement of Endorsement for Pete Buttigieg

Foreign-Policy-and-National-Security-Statement.pdf 97.97 kB · 0 downloads

 

Hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The Spooks Choice:  Coup plotters and CIA agents fill Pete Buttigieg's list of endorsers   (see attached PDF below)

Why are so many intelligence veterans throwing their weight behind a young Indiana mayor with such a thin foreign policy resume?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6591451/Foreign-Policy-and-National-Security-Statement.pdf

Foreign Policy and National Security Statement of Endorsement for Pete Buttigieg

Foreign-Policy-and-National-Security-Statement.pdf 97.97 kB · 3 downloads

 

Just a wild guess that they're pissed at Trump for meddling in what they've been doing for the last 50 years!

Still its a powerful list

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Hmm.

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/12/17/national-security-mandarins-groomed-pete-buttigieg/

How national security mandarins groomed Pete Buttigieg and managed his future

December 17, 2019

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Just a wild guess that they're pissed at Trump for meddling in what they've been doing for the last 50 years!

Still its a powerful list

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/02/07/pete-buttigieg-cia-afghanistan/

Media Darling Pete Buttigieg was in unit that worked with the CIA in Afghanistan      

February 7, 2020

While Buttigieg’s campaign denies allegations he was a CIA asset, military records reveal Mayor Pete was in a unit that worked with the spy agency in Afghanistan.

After The Grayzone published an article about Pete Buttigieg’s roster of endorsements from CIA veterans and coup plotters, and another about his mysterious trip to Somaliland alongside a friend who now works for a US government regime-change agency, Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign issued a public statement denying that he ever worked for the CIA.  “We hate to break the news to Twitter, but no, Pete was not in the CIA,” Buttigieg’s national press secretary Chris Meagher derisively told The Daily Beast, which directly referenced both Grayzone reports. “As for the Somaliland trip, it was not related to his work anywhere.”  The Daily Beast article appeared in response not only to factual reporting by The Grayzone, but to a wave of allegations spread online through hashtags like #CIAPete which accused Buttigieg of being a CIA asset.  Neither article published by The Grayzone accused Buttigieg of working for the CIA. However, according to military documents that have gone mostly under the media’s radar, it does appear that the former mayor worked alongside the CIA while serving as a high-ranking Naval intelligence officer during his short stint in Afghanistan.  Moreover, the unit Buttigieg supervised was a subset of the Drug Enforcement Administration, the US agency responsible for the disastrous war on drugs that has spawned humanitarian catastrophes throughout Latin America and much of the world.

‘We were working with everybody across the civilian spectrum in the intelligence community’  Early on in his military career, Pete Buttigieg worked as an intelligence analyst at US European Command, where he “conduct[ed] research and analysis of information to create accurate, timely intelligence products in support of USEUCOM theater operations,” according to mostly redacted military records released under the Freedom of Information Act.  Under a section labelled “command employment and command achievements,” Buttigieg’s papers indicate that intelligence was provided to “USEUCOM, NATO, Deployed Units and other commands, including operations in Africa and the former Yugoslavia.”  Buttigieg would eventually return to EUCOM, where he was promoted to team leader, supervising one officer and four intelligence analysts.

Two years into Buttigieg’s time as mayor, in 2014, he was called for duty again, this time to serve with the US Navy in Afghanistan.   Contrary to Buttigieg’s portrayal of himself as a gun-toting, freedom-fighting soldier, he enjoyed an immediate high rank during deployment. Just into his first term as mayor, Buttigieg “made sure my chain of command knew that I would rather go sooner than later, and would rather go to Afghanistan than anywhere else,” he wrote in his book.  Buttigieg was apparently shuttled over quickly, and left soon after.  He spent his six months in Afghanistan in 2014 with a little-known unit that operated under the watch of the Drug Enforcement Administration. It was the Afghanistan Threat Finance Cell (ATFC), according to his appointment papers. The job description in his discharge papers is blank.

Founded by US Central Command leader-turned-CIA chief General David Patreaus, this unit was credited with the destruction of Kabul Bank, the first private bank founded in Afghanistan after the US invasion. ATFC reportedly exposed the financial institution as a giant “ponzi scheme.”  Mayor Pete would join this now illustrious outfit as an “Officer in Charge.” In a 2016 interview with the Harvard Crimson, Buttigieg described himself as an ATFC Liaison Officer to the Combined Joint Interagency Task Force.  ATFC’s primary task was to bust up the Taliban drug trade with the help of law enforcement and intelligence agencies. In Buttigieg’s papers, the ATFC is said to “identify and disrupt Taliban, Al-Qaeda and other insurgent financial/material support networks in Afghanistan by bringing to bear on these groups the full spectrum of interagency and government tools and authorities.” 

 

Pete-Buttigieg-CIA-Afghanistan.jpg

 

MOAR:

Buttigieg's Military Records

https://www.scribd.com/document/408662295/Buttigieg-s-Military-Records#from_embed

 

Top Afghan banker: From 'milk cow' to sacrificial lamb?

ttps://www.france24.com/en/20110628-top-afghan-banker-flee-milk-cow-sacrificial-lamb-fitrat-kabul-bank-scandal

 

Audit Says Kabul Bank Began as ‘Ponzi Scheme’

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/world/asia/kabul-bank-audit-details-extent-of-fraud.html

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1225214496291147777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

 

Pete1.png.b21488fcd469831a17b2610bbd2829d6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

”Is homophobia still prevalent in the US, or is it more regional??

In the UK its almost a crime to be straight these days”

First off, the term ‘homophobia’ is a misnomer adopted by the gay community. The literal translation would be ‘fear of homosexuals’. It is not fear of gays, it is a disagreement, or disgust, with the lifestyle

Yes, in America the most discriminated segment of society is the straight, white mail. These creatures are held responsible for everything from slavery in the 1800’s, to gender inequality, to the treatment of illegal aliens (whoops, excuse me, undocumented immigrants), to global warming and every social ill in between.

Do not even hint that you think there are only two known genders, you’d be tarred and feathered with a pink boa before you could say, ‘That’s an exit, not an entrance!’. 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anes Alic is a totally brainwashed. THE US IN NOW TOTALLY INDEPENDENT OF OPEC !!!  

Living in England & Europe with the liberal media, NO ONE gets the truth about the world!!! 

The US is totally in control of the world & not from bigger bullets but from Tariffs & Sanctions. 

Next will be the exposer of the Central Bankers & the abolishment of the Federal Reserve in the United States.

Can anyone east of the United States imagine England & Europe WITHOUT INCOME TAX!!

We here in the US have another tax cut coming to our middle class "just before" Trump's landslide election of 2020!!

FOUR MORE YEAR'S, NOPE 24 MORE YEAR'S WITH SON (&) DAUGHTER !!!  WHAT A DYNASTY !!

Now the big question HOW do you keep this economic boom going????  Expose the Federal Reserve, eliminate the Income Tax and presto an

economic boom never seen in this country (&) for that matter any where in history!!

Welcome to the TRUMP DYNASTY !!

GO TRUMP !!

  • Rolling Eye 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2020 at 2:54 AM, Dan Warnick said:

Tariffs work well for this steel buyer

My company has 2,700 employees, including 600 in the Chicago area alone. We’re a major steel buyer, and we purchase more hot-rolled steel coil each year than General Motors. We think the tariffs are working well.

The steel we buy is used to manufacture tubing and piping at 16 facilities across the United States. Our products are used in everything from commercial construction and apartment buildings to energy infrastructure and data centers. Since 2017, we’ve hired 750 new employees while increasing our sales by 20 percent.

Last year, the Trump administration imposed tariffs on steel imports. And the net effect has been to level the playing field, allowing America’s steel producers to make major improvements and increase plant utilization. When the tariffs were first announced, there were short-term price spikes as America’s steel mills took stock. But steelmakers subsequently invested in world-leading electric arc furnaces to boost capacity and better compete with China. Even though my company’s primary component cost is raw steel, I supported the tariffs. I knew that in the long run it would lead to a more sustainable domestic steel industry.

Now, we’re seeing America’s steel industry investing $14 billion to transition from older blast-furnaces to newer mini-mills. Ironically, media coverage has portrayed the closures of these older steel plants as evidence that the tariffs have failed. But actually, these are smart, logical moves by a steel sector now reinventing itself and making major capital investments in high-tech mini-mills. Fears about higher prices have proven to be overblown, too. Steel prices have fallen 50 percent from peak levels last year and are now below pre-tariff levels.

Since the tariffs were imposed, my company has been expanding. We’ve doubled our capital expenditures to $160 million annually. And we’re even looking to hire 400 new workers across the eight states where we operate manufacturing facilities.

Clearly, we’re doing better, our workers are doing better, and many struggling communities are starting to get back on their feet. But all of that could turn around again.

Despite global calls for Beijing to reduce steel supply, production has continued to rise. China now produces more steel than the rest of the world combined — and it continues to overproduce in order to maintain its world-leading capacity while exporting steel at prices often set below the cost of production.

China has made no meaningful effort to curb its overproduction, and Washington must remain focused. The tariffs should continue, as a tool for subsequent negotiations. However, tariffs can be skirted by currency moves. Not only is the U.S. dollar rising in value — which makes imports cheaper—but China has also lowered its own currency in response to the tariffs. That’s why quotas on steel imports should be considered, since they function independently of currency fluctuations.

Even before the tariffs at least in some areas not only steel but other high energy products were having a resurgence due to the US advantage of cheap nat gas from fracking. I believe nat gas CHP units was a big push by the Obama administration to help steel plants. What do you know about this and it’s impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capt. Lauren Dowsett said:

Anes Alic is a totally brainwashed. THE US IN NOW TOTALLY INDEPENDENT OF OPEC !!!  

Living in England & Europe with the liberal media, NO ONE gets the truth about the world!!! 

The US is totally in control of the world & not from bigger bullets but from Tariffs & Sanctions. 

Next will be the exposer of the Central Bankers & the abolishment of the Federal Reserve in the United States.

Can anyone east of the United States imagine England & Europe WITHOUT INCOME TAX!!

We here in the US have another tax cut coming to our middle class "just before" Trump's landslide election of 2020!!

FOUR MORE YEAR'S, NOPE 24 MORE YEAR'S WITH SON (&) DAUGHTER !!!  WHAT A DYNASTY !!

Now the big question HOW do you keep this economic boom going????  Expose the Federal Reserve, eliminate the Income Tax and presto an

economic boom never seen in this country (&) for that matter any where in history!!

Welcome to the TRUMP DYNASTY !!

GO TRUMP !!

Since Ronald Reagan the US has enjoyed bumps in the economy through tax cuts and spending increases. The problem of living in a spending bubble is not sustainable and only pushes huge financial obligations to the future. Older conservatives know this and used to blame Democrats and push for a balanced budget and the dream of paying down the debt.

Todays crop of Republicans cut taxes, spend and cheer while the debt is over 22 trillion and the deficit over 1 trillion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boat said:

Even before the tariffs at least in some areas not only steel but other high energy products were having a resurgence due to the US advantage of cheap nat gas from fracking. I believe nat gas CHP units was a big push by the Obama administration to help steel plants. What do you know about this and it’s impact. 

Hi Boat.  I don't know anything about that.  Perhaps some others around here can answer?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 2/4/2020 at 5:07 AM, Boat said:

A simple rule could be China steel cannot be imported unless it meets ASTM standards. That could go for all its products. A level standard for global trade.

ASTM does not pick winners and losers. They just set quality minimums. These are the common sense approach’s countries should get behind and enforce with quotas. To me that is what globalism should be about. 
How about you can’t be an importer or exporter unless your buildings are energy efficient. 
 

Necro post incoming: ASTM standards are already met.  ASTM standards mean almost nothing.  They are VERY loose as they ONLY pertain to %'s of alloying elements.  WHAT you care about, is the end product.  Alloying elements mean nearly nothing other than if they are stirred in correctly which a lot of Chinese junk steel is not.  What is NOT in ASTM standards are Rather HOW you cool something/temper it is what matters along with how you introduce the alloying elements.  Then add in the fact that there is a WIDE range in the ASTM standards for the alloy %'s and well....

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

6 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Necro post incoming: ASTM standards are already met.  ASTM standards mean almost nothing.  They are VERY loose as they ONLY pertain to %'s of alloying elements.  WHAT you care about, is the end product.  Alloying elements mean nearly nothing other than if they are stirred in correctly which a lot of Chinese junk steel is not.  What is NOT in ASTM standards are Rather HOW you cool something/temper it is what matters along with how you introduce the alloying elements.  Then add in the fact that there is a WIDE range in the ASTM standards for the alloy %'s and well....

ASTM gives you a minimum standard of quality, buy from better places to exceed the standard or do further refinement yourself. 

Most places should probably do some form of treatment (temper, galvanize, etc.) after they manipulate the steel anyways.

Edited by Enthalpic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know steel ASTM standards but in plastics if you have ASTM printed on your pipe you will also have companies like NSF and UL coming in several times a year taking samples from stock and doing testing to see if they meet  ASTM standards. These companies will also do tests on gauges and recording equipment. They also check blending records and records filled out by your Quality Control dept. These are random visits in an attempt to avoid abuse. Pretty sure steel or any ASTM checked product will have a regiment of tests. Most buyers use these standards and won’t buy the product unless they have the stamps. It’s all about law suits when there is a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

ASTM gives you a minimum standard of quality, buy from better places to exceed the standard or do further refinement yourself. 

Most places should probably do some form of treatment (temper, galvanize, etc.) after they manipulate the steel anyways.

4 hours ago, Boat said:

I don’t know steel ASTM standards but in plastics if you have ASTM printed on your pipe you will also have companies like NSF and UL coming in several times a year taking samples from stock and doing testing to see if they meet  ASTM standards. These companies will also do tests on gauges and recording equipment. They also check blending records and records filled out by your Quality Control dept. These are random visits in an attempt to avoid abuse. Pretty sure steel or any ASTM checked product will have a regiment of tests. Most buyers use these standards and won’t buy the product unless they have the stamps. It’s all about law suits when there is a problem. 

And China has no regulatory body, inspectors(allowing your company to keep printing their #### on product without being bribed), rule of law(other than whoever is in power), even though they have all the western standards. 

<rant on> As for the ASTM standards themselves?  Just pertains to composition, grade, gauge, generally speaking and not the material properties.  Large +/- in there.... Material properties are not an ASTM grade at all they are an AISA or equivalent standard grade which is most often NEVER adhered to or tested(costs too much).  The quintessential of this is 4340 high grade steel.  Can be made great, or with tons of nodules(all carbon is not distributed even though % fits the ASTM standard) and leading to cracking, impossible to machine, weld, etc.  Why?  costs money as it requires more TIME in the furnace.  Since the ASTM standard is so loose(I ignore its annealed condition as shipped) I have completely given up buying 4340 ASTM grade but now DEMAND vacuum arc sintered 4340 in our products as it is essentially the only grade which is honest anymore as it is impossible to cheat.  I never used to have this problem.  Everyone used to always have a thing called HONOR and make their products EXCEED average standard.... Now everyone tries to get as close to failing as possible, because most purchasers NEVER use their product in manufacturing as manufacturing is almost never local so the purchasers never get their heads crammed in a vise by manufacturing leaving their ears ringing with invective from the floor boss. 

<Rant off>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.