US admin to kill Energy Star program

US administration is facing strong opposition in his drive to eliminate federal funding for the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) popular Energy Star program. In the budget request to Congress for fiscal year 2019, White House asked lawmakers to eliminate the $42 million in federal funding for the program. With the Department of Energy’s help, the voluntary Energy Star program sets efficiency benchmarks for appliances, electronics, building materials, lighting and other products, and lets companies use the Energy Star label on products that meet the specifications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 18,000 companies and other organizations, including Trump owned ones, are Energy Star partners, voluntarily putting the label on their products that meet efficiency guidelines. I wonder where he stands there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 李伟王芳 said:

About 18,000 companies and other organizations, including Trump owned ones, are Energy Star partners, voluntarily putting the label on their products that meet efficiency guidelines. I wonder where he stands there

According to Fake News media, Trump's properties tend to receive low Energy Star ratings. The most recent scores from 2015 reveal that 11 of his 15 skyscrapers in New York, Chicago and San Francisco are less energy efficient than most comparable buildings. On a scale of 1 to 100 for energy efficiency, Manhattan's old Mayfair Hotel, which Trump converted into condos, rated a 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and why are business not willing to pay anything towards a program that has saved their customers $400 billion over 25 years? That’s $16 billion per year. Yet they won’t fund any of the needed $42 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in other words , pass the cost to the consumer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

and why are business not willing to pay anything towards a program that has saved their customers $400 billion over 25 years? That’s $16 billion per year. Yet they won’t fund any of the needed $42 million?

I agree, taxpayers should not be funding this. If the industry wants to compete against each other for who has the more efficient products, they can do so on their dime.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without government standards, there no way for consumers to know the difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Industry will be free to make any claim they want. Label it-Sell it-Make warranty short

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Joanna said:

Industry will be free to make any claim they want. Label it-Sell it-Make warranty short

and we can finally compete with crappy Chinese products

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

55 minutes ago, Stephen said:

in other words , pass the cost to the consumer 

Yes.... here in America, we pay for our goods and services. If it costs more to produce, naturally it is passed onto the consumer. That's capitalism and it works. I provide a service to clients. I charge them a specific rate. If it costs me more a month down the road to provide the same service, I charge my client more. They can choose to pay me the increased fee, or they can shop elsewhere for my services. If no one is willing to pay for my services, then I will quickly go out of business. Such is life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Without government standards, there no way for consumers to know the difference

So without a government to tell us what is "good, better, best" (that's what standards are after all), people would be lost? But, then, if the government is made up of people, who tells the government what the standards should be?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lobby groups of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aspoerl said:

So without a government to tell us what is "good, better, best" (that's what standards are after all), people would be lost? But, then, if the government is made up of people, who tells the government what the standards should be?

In ideal world, experts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

In ideal world, experts

Experts on what? Do we listen to the engineering experts who can tell us what is physically possible? Or to the environmental experts who can tell us what is the best for the environment? Or to the economic experts who tell us where to get the most value for our efforts?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aspoerl said:

Experts on what? Do we listen to the engineering experts who can tell us what is physically possible? Or to the environmental experts who can tell us what is the best for the environment? Or to the economic experts who tell us where to get the most value for our efforts?

I don't know how truly effective the Energy Star program was ... I suspect it was worth the funding though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LAOIL said:

I don't know how truly effective the Energy Star program was ... I suspect it was worth the funding though

I honestly don't either. I'm just very curious about this premise that without government intervention, consumers would be lost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they're lost even with government intervention. I can't think of anything reasonable that would protect consumers against .... themselves

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LAOIL said:

i think they're lost even with government intervention. I can't think of anything reasonable that would protect consumers against .... themselves

well fortunately, it is not the government's job to protect people from themselves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0