James Regan

Trumps Oil Industry....

31 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Without purchasing the document, I can only think that the Abstract appears to support what I said to Ron Ron in the last comment. And, it's only talking about current electrical demand. What about when you convert all vehicles to electricity? What about when everything else that uses fossil fuels converts to electricity?

To be sure, in my reply to Ron Ron, I talked about "right now" and "not yet". It's not as if I think we'll never figure it out. We just haven't yet.

These analyses bother me, for three reasons: 1) they act like solar and wind overcapacity must be avoided at all costs, 2) long-term storage (weeks or months) is a huge problem, 3) long-distance energy transport is a huge problem.  OK: 1) Overbuilding solar or wind is not a problem if the capital cost is low enough. This cost has been decreasing and will probably continue to decrease. 2 and 3)  We already have long-distance transport and long-term storage for Natural Gas. If wind and solar are cheap enough (see point 1) then electricity can be used to produce methane, which is the same as natural gas Conversion efficiencies are not great but are improving, and they don't matter much if you are using excess electricity (see point 1). It can be and is being stored for months, not hours, and it can be and is being shipped in massive amounts by pipeline and LNG tanker, and we already have the infrastructure in place to convert it back into electricity.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, James Regan said:

ok apart from Roads, Pizza and Toga Parties, what did the Romans ever do for us...?

bridges, viaducts, plumbing, under-floor heating...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Labrador?

• Great Response! 2

33 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Okay apart from Roads,Pizza Toga parties bridges, viaducts, plumbing, under-floor heating, what did the Romans really do for us......?

• Haha 1

(edited)

21 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

Labrador?

Another Dog Lover, there's a good few on here, heres my criminal faction...

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Okay apart from Roads,Pizza Toga parties bridges, viaducts, plumbing, under-floor heating, what did the Romans really do for us......?

Fiiiiive golden rings!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Fiiiiive golden rings!

Education, law, libraries, theatre, trade,, other than that not much else worth mentioning......

Spurred Monty Python on for the Life of Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Education, law, libraries, theatre, trade,, other than that not much else worth mentioning......

Spurred Monty Python on for the Life of Brian

Roman Numerals, and.........................................Toga Parties!!!  😇🥳😇🥳😇🥳😇🥳🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Toga Parties!

15 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Roman Numerals, and.........................................Toga Parties!!!  😇🥳😇🥳😇🥳😇🥳🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Went to college in the 80's, didn't you, Blutarsky?

• Haha 2

On 4/24/2020 at 5:22 PM, El Nikko said:

Lol now that's funny..it's going to die if gas and oil prices stay depressed for months if not years 😂

Solar has won. Even if coal were free to burn, power stations couldn't compete

Giles Par kinsonnow. 

O&G Prices can stay low forever; fossil  competes only with fossil now.   Plants wear out and break down, Fossil gas fired costs $X per MW of name plate  Coal or oil fired 12X ; biggest reason is you have to have cooling water for the condenser.

10 minutes ago, nsdp said:

Solar has won. Even if coal were free to burn, power stations couldn't compete

Giles Par kinsonnow. 

O&G Prices can stay low forever; fossil  competes only with fossil now.   Plants wear out and break down, Fossil gas fired costs $X per MW of name plate  Coal or oil fired 12X ; biggest reason is you have to have cooling water for the condenser.

Large gains toward the goal? Yes. Won? Curb your enthusiasm, Guardian.

Doesn't solve fuel for air travel, and long haul, etc. Doesn't solve the battery problem I already talked about a few comments back.

From your article:

Households and businesses have little incentive to export excess power. They don't get paid much for it anyway. Ergon Energy admits that this will likely encourage households to install battery storage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/korihale/2019/08/06/teslas-megapack-battery-ambitions-could-drain-cobalt-supply/#6ee51145b8c9

The battery problem is not a small issue. I already talked about the environmental, human rights and supply trouble with significantly increasing the entire world's reliance on battery storage.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Went to college in the 80's, didn't you, Blutarsky?

Yes!  Graduated in 1986, to be exact.  Carbongdale, Illinois, er, Carbondale.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dan Warnick said:

Carbongdale

I see what you did there

3 hours ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

These analyses bother me, for three reasons: 1) they act like solar and wind overcapacity must be avoided at all costs, 2) long-term storage (weeks or months) is a huge problem, 3) long-distance energy transport is a huge problem.  OK: 1) Overbuilding solar or wind is not a problem if the capital cost is low enough. This cost has been decreasing and will probably continue to decrease. 2 and 3)  We already have long-distance transport and long-term storage for Natural Gas. If wind and solar are cheap enough (see point 1) then electricity can be used to produce methane, which is the same as natural gas Conversion efficiencies are not great but are improving, and they don't matter much if you are using excess electricity (see point 1). It can be and is being stored for months, not hours, and it can be and is being shipped in massive amounts by pipeline and LNG tanker, and to convert it back into electricity.

IEEEIEEE04082018.pdfIEEE04082018.pdf

Dan this happens to be my turf.  thanks to the great engineers at NASA who worked on the Saturn V  we already have the infrastructure design in place at the Cape that has 3X the energy  density  per cubic meter of LNG  . hydrogen can be used as a storage medium  and you can store for longer than LNG by using salt caverns.  Quantity of storage  can be 100GWH plus and is much easier to handle.   Made by electrolysis that is 89+% efficient and in a plant designed to be 73% efficient(NETL in 1996). Only combustion product is pure water.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Doesn't solve fuel for air travel, and long haul, etc. Doesn't solve the battery problem I already talked about a few comments back.

From your article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/korihale/2019/08/06/teslas-megapack-battery-ambitions-could-drain-cobalt-supply/#6ee51145b8c9

The battery problem is not a small issue. I already talked about the environmental, human rights and supply trouble with significantly increasing the entire world's reliance on battery storage.

Batteries are for the ignorant and believe me the electric Utility industry is loaded with them.  NASA solved this problem for the Saturn V in 1963.  No one seems to think outside the box; they have either forgotten or never knew the solution. The Chinese understand https://patents.google.com/patent/CN104937222A/en

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nsdp said:

IEEEIEEE04082018.pdfIEEE04082018.pdf 361.93 kB · 0 downloads

Dan this happens to be my turf.  thanks to the great engineers at NASA who worked on the Saturn V  we already have the infrastructure design in place at the Cape that has 3X the energy  density  per cubic meter of LNG  . hydrogen can be used as a storage medium  and you can store for longer than LNG by using salt caverns.  Quantity of storage  can be 100GWH plus and is much easier to handle.   Made by electrolysis that is 89+% efficient and in a plant designed to be 73% efficient(NETL in 1996). Only combustion product is pure water.

Absolutely. Conversion from H2 to CH4 is a wasteful extra step. It's only advantage is that is can immediately use the entire existing storage, transport and power generation infrastructure, both physical and financial. No need to modify anything, just "merely"(!) add the power-to-gas plants near the solar and wind fields. The "hydrogen economy" requires either an entirely new infrastructure or an "interesting" transition of the existing CH4 infrastructure. CH4 is stored as a gas primarily in depleted oil or gas fields. For example, PG&E buys gas in the Spring and Fall for use in Summer and Winter, with some basically being stored for 6 months.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Valerie Williams said:

Wind and solar continue to improve as a fairly good clip. Once electricity is cheap enough, it can be used to make jet fuel. The only place this currently makes sense today is on a US Navy aircraft carrier, but the technology is  in place.  Long-haul on land: mostly convert to electric, mostly trains. Long-haul at sea: LNG is already being used on some container ships and cruise ships and of course on LNG carriers. Replace fossil LNG with power-to-gas CH4.

Fossil fuel still has a role to play, but that role is in the 20-to-30 year transition to 100% renewables.

• Upvote 2

Shakil, you sound exactly like Martin Shkreli, but I think he's still in prison. With regard to your investment plans read this:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/US-Probes-Insider-Trading-Tied-To-OPEC-Oil-Deal.html

I hope everybody who does something illegal to make money off the disaster in the oil industry gets caught.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, pisstol said:

Shakil, you sound exactly like Martin Shkreli, but I think he's still in prison. With regard to your investment plans read this:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/US-Probes-Insider-Trading-Tied-To-OPEC-Oil-Deal.html

I hope everybody who does something illegal to make money off the disaster in the oil industry gets caught.

That's interesting. Unlike the SEC, the CFTC doesn't f- around.

9 hours ago, James Regan said:

Hey, were with you, dont tar us with the same brush, we are your special friend, and if there's a Navy Seal unit anywhere, you know a Cobra Task force is aware as our Elite SAS are up for it, normally we do the recon for your special forces....

So YOUR special forces do recon for OUR special forces....where did you find this little factoid?

I see you totally ignored your boys from Poole.....

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

So YOUR special forces do recon for OUR special forces....where did you find this little factoid?

Poole Dorset?

(edited)

2 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

After Operation Anaconda where help was refused it became common place in the ME, the British SAS had more middle eastern experience the the USA. You know these factoids are only available for special clearance, I would have to kill you if I told you.....

Without Googling it I assume by Poole your referring to the SBS, if so (as I haven't googled it) the SBS are not based in Poole, Dorset, they come from far far North.

Edited by James Regan

6 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Poole Dorset?

The SBS numbnuts!

2 minutes ago, James Regan said:

After Operation Anaconda where help was refused it became common place in the ME, the British SAS had more middle eastern experience the the USA. You know these factoids are only available for special clearance, I would have to kill you if I told you.....

You can kill me AFTER we get that 292 running...

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

The SBS numbnuts!

Try Abroath Scotland, Number-nuts😂 That word doesn't exist Number Nuts hauhauhau