Douglas Buckland

Let’s Try This....

1 hour ago, Strangelovesurfing said:

If we're all hyper-partisans nothing will ever get done. Attacking D.Trump just sets off supporters, vice versa for the Dem's. There's lots of work to be done and only foreign powers benefit when we all snipe at each other instead of forming solutions. Like Trump, hate Trump, don't care about Trump, he won't be around forever and we still have issues to deal with. Russia and China are inserting digital daggers through social media that play both sides and get us fighting each other, that's their main goal and it's working.

What's you theory here, that we should pretend Donald Trump is not a moron and completely unfit for the office of president? This isn't like we're discussing the difference between two rational political opponents like Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Donald Trump is a criminally incompetent narcissist who attacks American institutions and his cult thinks that's making America great again. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

(edited)

Delete repeated comment.

Edited by Dan Warnick
Delete repeated comment.

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

If I am not mistaken, didn’t China stop all barley imports from Australia last week from Australia because Australia was questioning the Chinese role in the pandemic? Should we place ourselves in the same position?

Just a few days ago I was checking my LinkedIn IOI's and there was a comment from a guy that caught my eye, so I read it more carefully.  He essentially was stating, as if he were speaking on behalf of a ratings agency or other adviser status, that Australia as a whole could not be trusted and that people were better off doing business with China.

I called him on it, and noted that it was rather inappropriate to simply throw that statement out there on media such as LinkedIn.  I asked him if he knew he sounded like a CCP plant or troll.  Until I made that comment, there were no comments.  After I made that comment, a bunch of people spoke up.  And then, you should have seen the language that came back from the CCP plant (or whatever the term is these days).  Swearing, accusing all of us of also "being from the evil West, and especially the U.S.  It was appalling, really.

The Chinese attacks on Australia are real and the West should rally around them, foolish as they have been with their natural resources, ports and otherwise.  Australia appears to be standing up to China, and they need our countries to rally around them before they experience further harm.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Strangelovesurfing said:

Huawei isn't the future of 5G despite what China is trying to make everyone believe. Huawei rushed out it's 5g system, which isn't that great btw, in order to take telecommunication 'real estate' before a far better solution was developed. What I mean by a far better solution can be found here - https://www.o-ran.org

That O-ran alliance isn't well known but it is the future of 5g and beyond. It's also a much better and more ingenious solution that the model Huawei followed which is just an incremental improvement on the 4g LTE standard. I say incremental because while 5g is a generational leap compared to 4g, Huawei's implementation of 5g really just follows an existing roadmap of expected tech evolutionary improvement, they just pushed that to market faster than others. The problem is it's just following an old roadmap, this is where China excels.

O-ran is a totally different and completely innovative and disruptive, something China isn't good at, in fact they completely suck at it. The US & the West in general isn't 'behind' in 5g. They're just developing a far superior system that even China's telecommunication companies want to be a part of. If Huawei's product is so superior, why are their own telecommunications signing up for the O-ran consortium?

The issue the West has is China will now use their companies involvement and the knowledge gained to somehow try and game the whole new system and tilt it to their favor. The West and US in particular needs to be very wary of this and act accordingly. I wish no Chinese companies would be allowed into this consortium, make them come up with their own stuff.

Spoken like a true xenophobic imperialist. or is it nationalist?  either, history abounds in lessons of what such may cause. 

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

Just a few days ago I was checking my LinkedIn IOI's and there was a comment from a guy that caught my eye, so I read it more carefully.  He essentially was stating, as if he were speaking on behalf of a ratings agency or other adviser status, that Australia as a whole could not be trusted and that people were better off doing business with China.

I called him on it, and noted that it was rather inappropriate to simply throw that statement out there on media such as LinkedIn.  I asked him if he knew he sounded like a CCP plant or troll.  Until I made that comment, there were no comments.  After I made that comment, a bunch of people spoke up.  And then, you should have seen the language that came back from the CCP plant (or whatever the term is these days).  Swearing, accusing all of us of also "being from the evil West, and especially the U.S.  It was appalling, really.

The Chinese attacks on Australia are real and the West should rally around them, foolish as they have been with their natural resources, ports and otherwise.  Australia appears to be standing up to China, and they need our countries to rally around them before they experience further harm.

attacks?  where, when, how? 

1 hour ago, BradleyPNW said:

What's you theory here, that we should pretend Donald Trump is not a moron and completely unfit for the office of president? This isn't like we're discussing the difference between two rational political opponents like Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Donald Trump is a criminally incompetent narcissist who attacks American institutions and his cult thinks that's making America great again. 

true, but you get what you vote for. 

11 hours ago, El Nikko said:

For the US it would make sense to relocate factories to places like South America, this would have many benefits other than a shorter supply chain such as inproving stability there and maybe cutting down immigration.

For European countries the most sensible thing would be to unshackle countries like Greece from the Euro and manufactor there, a devalued currency would encourage factories to move there and they would benefit from higher employment.

Simplified I know but seems a no brainer

true, a no brainer, as in someone with no brain ? 

(edited)

45 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

Spoken like a true xenophobic imperialist. or is it nationalist?  either, history abounds in lessons of what such may cause. 

There you are Franky, I wasn't missing you but, big sloppy kiss anyway, muah! I was wondering how long it would take you to crawl out from under your bridge, you're pretty fast buddy! I like how you never really address the subject at hand, just insults because naturally you don't have any retort. How am I a xenophobe when the consortium I posted a link to (which you obviously didn't click) has almost every major telecom, including your beloved China telecoms onboard? Am I xenophobic about planet Earth as a whole? Wouldn't that make me a exo-terran-xenophobe?

Edited by Strangelovesurfing
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BradleyPNW said:

It's not a theory just a fact of life that once you attack heads of state, half the room gets their BVS's in a bunch and nothing good comes out, only bickering and foreign powers want us doing just that.

• Like 1

(edited)

21 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Okay, then they should not be worried, in the least, by the strategy I suggested!

How did you come up with the nugget that “US companies sells more than 300 billion dollars worth of products in China a year; goods that are not manufactured in the USA.” How is that even possible?

You can watch this video. He mentions that the profitability of American companies operating in China add up to 200 billion dollars a year.

Edited by Hotone

18 minutes ago, Hotone said:

You can watch this video. He mentions that the profitability of American companies operating in China add up to 200 billion dollars a year.

If your only consideration is short term money then yes there's a high probability of some/lots of losses. But as the song says- take this job and shove it...

13 minutes ago, Hotone said:

This man, my dear Hotone, and every other one like him, are the overwhelming reason that businesses went to China and other countries: to cut out the American workforce, hire sweatshop pay level workers in the 3rd world, sell off the real estate they had in the States, and avoid taxes.  Now when that is done, and the only people left at the company are the C-suite and their financial advisers, like your friend above, they get fatter bonus checks and get to live in McMansions in the 3rd world or elsewhere (they're newly rich, they can choose!).

So you got to ask yourself: what do you think they're going to say is "best for America"?

• Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 1

Did you even watch this! As he says, China agree that they run a surplus in GOODS, but they believe the US runs a surplus in SERVICES.

The Chinese surplus in trade goods has been the issue.

Think about it, if the US tariffs Chinese goods to balance trade AND then withholds services (which the man admits China is bad at), THEN CHINA IS DOUBLY SCREWED!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

(edited)

18 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Did you even watch this! As he says, China agree that they run a surplus in GOODS, but they believe the US runs a surplus in SERVICES.

Think about it, if the US tariffs Chinese goods to balance trade AND then withholds services (which the man admits China is bad at), THEN CHINA IS DOUBLY SCREWED!!!

I saw an article the other day about how factories are having hard times due to foreign engineers and technicians not being able to enter the country and set up equipment brought in from the outside due to the travel restrictions.

• Like 4

(edited)

3 hours ago, frankfurter said:

attacks?  where, when, how? 

No clue Franky? I'm not surprised. It's about the whole Manchurian candidate for parliament thing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

This man, my dear Hotone, and every other one like him, are the overwhelming reason that businesses went to China and other countries: to cut out the American workforce, hire sweatshop pay level workers in the 3rd world, sell off the real estate they had in the States, and avoid taxes.  Now when that is done, and the only people left at the company are the C-suite and their financial advisers, like your friend above, they get fatter bonus checks and get to live in McMansions in the 3rd world or elsewhere (they're newly rich, they can choose!).

So you got to ask yourself: what do you think they're going to say is "best for America"?

Given you admit this man and many more like him are the primary reasons for the USA malais, why do you demonise China?  Again I ask, as you slave away to pay your mortgage, debts, and taxes, whom are you actually serving?  

• Rolling Eye 1

1 minute ago, frankfurter said:

Given you admit this man and many more like him are the primary reasons for the USA malais, why do you demonise China?  Again I ask, as you slave away to pay your mortgage, debts, and taxes, whom are you actually serving?  

Maybe it has something to do with the whole Manchurian candidate for Australia’s parliament stuff you didn’t bother to review earlier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strangelovesurfing said:
1 hour ago, frankfurter said:

Maybe it has something to do with the whole Manchurian candidate for Australia’s parliament stuff you didn’t bother to review earlier.

Franky's worried about us?  Bless his heart.

I own my house with no mortgage, no debts and I qualify for tax-free status.  I serve my family and I.  My government serves my family and I.  Why?  Do you serve your government, Franky?  Sorry to hear that, but it would explain many of your posts.  Good luck with your form of serfdom, er, government.

(edited)

4 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Yes, I watched it some time ago.  I already told you that some of the Chinese are pretty incompetent when it comes to IT services.  😂

But, it's clear that they are pretty good at making things.  There is a good reason that Americans go to India for services outsourcing and China for manufacturing.

Edited by Hotone
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hotone said:

Yes, I watched it some time ago.  I already told you that some of the Chinese are pretty incompetent when it comes to IT services.  😂

But, it's clear that they are pretty good at making things.  There is a good reason that Americans go to India for services outsourcing and China for manufacturing.

They are definitely NOT ‘good at making things’ if you base this on quality! They are good at making cheap things....cheap!

(edited)

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

They are definitely NOT ‘good at making things’ if you base this on quality! They are good at making cheap things....cheap!

That is an outdated view, you can continue to believe it if it makes you feel good.  Americans used to say the same thing about the Japanese.

It's not just Huawei and DJI. There are many traditional industries that they have bought into and owned over the years quietly and without disturbing the foreign brands. 

Edited by Hotone

There are certain products they make that are high quality, I'll give you that.  But there are far more that are your run of the mill throw away after a few uses products.  It would be nearly impossible to quantify though, and is either based on each or our own experience or anecdotal.

(edited)

The vast majority of Chinese products sold in America are essentially disposable items.

Please name 3 quality, high tech Chinese made items available to the American consumer.

Edited by Douglas Buckland

10 hours ago, Strangelovesurfing said:

It's not a theory just a fact of life that once you attack heads of state, half the room gets their BVS's in a bunch and nothing good comes out, only bickering and foreign powers want us doing just that.

It sounds like you're shooting from the hip. 

Here, read through this RAND document titled Countering Russian Social Media Influence then get back to me afterward to let me know if you think your theory still has merit in the context of foreign disinformation campaigns. Or, if you think you have a superior resource please share. 

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR2700/RR2740/RAND_RR2740.pdf