ML

E-car Sales Collapse

(edited)

It's Complicated.....

“Customer resistance:” Volkswagen cuts EV production as it fails to keep up with market

Volkswagen is cutting shifts and production on its electric vehicle lines at its Emden plant in Germany despite surging June EV sales figures in Europe. The company says the production cuts are due to “strong customer reluctance” to buy their EVs.

https://thedriven.io/2023/07/06/customer-resistance-volkswagen-cuts-ev-production-as-it-fails-to-keep-up-with-market/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

All of eyes closed posts are pro-ev news, he just is blind unless it is in an obnoxiously large font size.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

All of eyes closed posts are pro-ev news, he just is blind unless it is in an obnoxiously large font size.

The sad fact is that EVs are piling up on the sales lots in America as the EV market appears to be saturated with product beyond the limits of the niche market for EVs.

A triple waste of money, first by the government who squandered taxpayers' money on these useless devices, secondly for the producers who jumped at the false promises of quick profits, and thirdly by those deluded individuals who thought that they were ahead of the curve by buying an EV.

Foolishness all around.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

It's Complicated.....

“Customer resistance:” Volkswagen cuts EV production as it fails to keep up with market

Volkswagen is cutting shifts and production on its electric vehicle lines at its Emden plant in Germany despite surging June EV sales figures in Europe. The company says the production cuts are due to “strong customer reluctance” to buy their EVs.

https://thedriven.io/2023/07/06/customer-resistance-volkswagen-cuts-ev-production-as-it-fails-to-keep-up-with-market/

More BS

Volkswagen EV Sales Growing 50% In 2023

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/07/14/volkswagen-ev-sales-growing-50-in-2023/

https://insideevs.com/news/678964/volkswagen-group-global-bev-sales-2023q2/

55 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The sad fact is that EVs are piling up on the sales lots in America as the EV market appears to be saturated with product beyond the limits of the niche market for EVs.

A triple waste of money, first by the government who squandered taxpayers' money on these useless devices, secondly for the producers who jumped at the false promises of quick profits, and thirdly by those deluded individuals who thought that they were ahead of the curve by buying an EV.

Foolishness all around.

One thing I will agree with you on is that in the US the infrastructure for EV's is woeful. Sort that out and your EV sales will rocket like they are in pretty much every other 1st world country.

19 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

One thing I will agree with you on is that in the US the infrastructure for EV's is woeful. Sort that out and your EV sales will rocket like they are in pretty much every other 1st world country.

The infrastructure will never "sort out", there are too many vast open spaces in this country to permit the type of infrastructure needed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

The infrastructure will never "sort out", there are too many vast open spaces in this country to permit the type of infrastructure needed.

I guess that depends on this and the timescale it will take.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/12/13/fact-sheet-the-biden-harris-electric-vehicle-charging-action-plan/

24 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Public finances will not support this foolish enterprise. And most Americans cannot afford EVs. This is a vast conspiracy of lies.

• Great Response! 1

7 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Public finances will not support this foolish enterprise. And most Americans cannot afford EVs. This is a vast conspiracy of lies.

The bill isnt saying that all the money is from public finances.

The other question on whether US citizens can afford EV's is surprising to me when the US is the richest country in the world, or so we are continually told. Also why is it then that Europeans and Chinese can afford them but US cant? Do you have extortionate tax on EV's or on auto manufacturers, or is it that US citizens have less disposable income due to personal income tax?

(edited)

On 8/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, TailingsPond said:

I must admit a smidgen of prejudice, I left out the only independent US automotive mfg. In light of my serious misjudgment I shall attempt to correct the error of my ways. Let it be known to all Ford Motor company would also be experiencing complications...as reported below.

Ford Sells Almost No EVs

It was a brutal day for Ford’s electric vehicle (EV) sales. Two headlines stood out. Former Ford CEO Mark Fields, clearly bitter, made a strong point nevertheless. He told CNBC that people would not buy EVs because they are harder to charge than a gasoline-powered car when the driver fills his tank with gas. Other media pointed out that Ford’s EV sales fell 2.8% in the second quarter, compared to the same quarter a year ago.

• Douglas A. McIntyre
1 month ago

https://247wallst.com/investing/2023/07/07/ford-sells-almost-no-evs/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

On 8/10/2023 at 1:37 AM, Rob Plant said:

More BS

Well Mr.Plant...something is amuck..

VW cuts ID4, ID7 output at German plant

Demand for electric cars built in Emden is nearly 30% below planned production figures.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-cuts-id4-and-id-output-emden-plant-due-flagging-sales

The plant's three-week summer vacation will be extended by one week for a week for employees working on electric cars and about 300 of the 1,500 temporary workers currently employed in Emden will be laid off from August.

Demand for electric cars built in Emden is nearly 30 percent below the originally planned production figures, the head of the factory's works council, Manfred Wulff, told the Nordwest-Zeitung.

Production of Passat combustion engine models will continue unchanged, the works council said.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Well Mr.Plant...something is amuck..

VW cuts ID4, ID7 output at German plant

Demand for electric cars built in Emden is nearly 30% below planned production figures.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-cuts-id4-and-id-output-emden-plant-due-flagging-sales

The plant's three-week summer vacation will be extended by one week for a week for employees working on electric cars and about 300 of the 1,500 temporary workers currently employed in Emden will be laid off from August.

Demand for electric cars built in Emden is nearly 30 percent below the originally planned production figures, the head of the factory's works council, Manfred Wulff, told the Nordwest-Zeitung.

Production of Passat combustion engine models will continue unchanged, the works council said.

Where's that damn Kraken of yours? You released him years ago,where is he? didnt he come back?

Kraken by Russell Marks (cdna.artstation.com) submitted by ...

Edited by Rob Plant

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

Where's that damn Kraken of yours? You released him years ago,where is he? didnt he come back?

Kraken by Russell Marks (cdna.artstation.com) submitted by ...

Oh Mr. Plant I've released no Kracken, yet in a sense there would be a mythical beast of destruction roaming our shores. The drama has been unparalleled..as we speak one group is trying to prosecute a former president and at the same time trying to evade the Supreme Court. Frankly we are almost on par with the UK on bodacious arguments made in parliament....almost however..Frankly we need to follow suit in order to relieve some of the built up anxiety

(edited)

8 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

The bill isnt saying that all the money is from public finances.

The other question on whether US citizens can afford EV's is surprising to me when the US is the richest country in the world, or so we are continually told. Also why is it then that Europeans and Chinese can afford them but US cant? Do you have extortionate tax on EV's or on auto manufacturers, or is it that US citizens have less disposable income due to personal income tax?

The Chinese EV product looks like an investment scheme and not for actual consumer use.

Still about 93% of American vehicle sales are fossil fuel vehicles.

There are giant numbers of middle income and poor people who drive fossil fuel cars in America and could not replace them with EVs

Wake up, man.

Edited by Ecocharger

There are giant numbers of middle income and poor people who drive fossil fuel cars in America and could not replace them with EVs

The price of EV's is dropping fast.  I agree a premium Tesla is out of most peoples reach but there are now cheaper models priced similar to ICE.  

You love to point out they are pilling up on the lots, that means pressure to make them even cheaper. You also like to point out oil demand is rising.  

High EV supply decreases prices; high oil demand increases prices.  Both factors swing in favour of increasing EV adoption.

I will, however, agree the poor and lower middle class will not adopt EVs quickly as they make crappy financial decisions!  Plenty of evidence that EV's should net save you money over the life of the vehicle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

The price of EV's is dropping fast.  I agree a premium Tesla is out of most peoples reach but there are now cheaper models priced similar to ICE.  

You love to point out they are pilling up on the lots, that means pressure to make them even cheaper. You also like to point out oil demand is rising.  

High EV supply decreases prices; high oil demand increases prices.  Both factors swing in favour of increasing EV adoption.

I will, however, agree the poor and lower middle class will not adopt EVs quickly as they make crappy financial decisions!  Plenty of evidence that EV's should net save you money over the life of the vehicle.

EVs do not attract lower income people because of the investments needed to upgrade home electricity supply to deal with them.

That is only going to get more expensive going forward.

The inconvenience of recharging EVs makes them unattractive to any normal person.

34 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

EVs do not attract lower income people because of the investments needed to upgrade home electricity supply to deal with them.

That is only going to get more expensive going forward.

The inconvenience of recharging EVs makes them unattractive to any normal person.

Again, I will agree that those who don't own their homes will be slower to adopt.  Landlords will eventually add them as it adds value to the property.

I disagree charging ports will become more expensive; technology almost always gets cheaper.

There will be ultra-fast chargers very soon, add to that the fact cars spend most of their time parked charging isn't the problem you make it out to be.  Most people with regular length commutes can go days without charging at all.

(edited)

A standard 15A household plug can get you 6miles/hour of charge.  So sleep 8 hours and you can drive 48 miles.  If you can plug in at work for another 8 hours you're golden.

So it is doable without owning a home charger, but not ideal.

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Haha 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

A standard 15A household plug can get you 6miles/hour of charge.  So sleep 8 hours and you can drive 48 miles.  If you can plug in at work for another 8 hours you're golden.

So it is doable without owning a home charger, but not ideal.

You sound like a high achievement third world human living on the fringe of society. One of those dynamics would be a falsehood...Plugging in a EV with a extension cord, perhaps you might attempt to afford a power station....dream large have a great night of rest.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

(edited)

10 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

You sound like a high achievement third world human living on the fringe of society. Of those dynamics would be a falsehood...Plugging in a EV with a extended cord...just a big fan I guess.

Obviously, I'm not doing or recommending the low Amp approach.

All EV's are plugged in with a cord, they just vary in quality.

Edited by TailingsPond

On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Ah, so because of GOVERNMENT fiat Totalitarian measures, manufacturers are changing, NOT because of economics... you just said so, good to know. 

Yes, the slave masters are cracking whips in a few dumb countries.  The rest of the world is still trying to just live. 

That's very much part of economics, and those are elected governments for the most part elected who pass those measures. 

It'a like economic situations where for example, uninformed tourists feed the wild animals in national parks, thereby killing them, and ruining tourism. In those situations, we elect governments to regulate such behavior by attempting to inform those tourists, or penalizing such behavior.

Such types of laws are part of every democracy in different areas that have an effect on economics. 

• Upvote 1