Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

This Battery Uses Up CO2 to Create Energy

(edited)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191025170815.htm

Engineers develop a new way to remove carbon dioxide from air

The process could work on the gas at any concentrations, from power plant emissions to open air

Date:
October 25, 2019
Source:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Summary:
A new way of removing carbon dioxide from a stream of air could provide a significant tool in the battle against climate change. The new system can work on the gas at virtually any concentration level, even down to the roughly 400 parts per million currently found in the atmosphere.

The device is essentially a large, specialized battery that absorbs carbon dioxide from the air (or other gas stream) passing over its electrodes as it is being charged up, and then releases the gas as it is being discharged. In operation, the device would simply alternate between charging and discharging, with fresh air or feed gas being blown through the system during the charging cycle, and then the pure, concentrated carbon dioxide being blown out during the discharging.

I am not concerned about CO2 myself, but what do you engineers and science types think of this idea? RCW
Edited by ronwagn

It is claimed that this polyanthraquinone capture material is manufacturable in bulk, but not yet demonstrated.  I want to see that.

The paper claims that capture has been demonstrated down to CO2 concentrations of 6000 ppm, which is a considerable ways from 400 ppm.  The exit CO2 concentration from the absorber was not mentioned to my recall.  If it has not gotten well below 400 ppm, it probably cannot do effective atmospheric CO2 capture.

I want this to be The Solution so bad I can taste it, but I gotta have proof.  Even 100 kJ/mol at 300 ppm will do if it WORKS!  I'm from Missouri, SHOW ME!  I WANT it to happen!