ML

E-car Sales Collapse

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/18/us-automakers-aggressive-language-trump-bloodbath-describe-chinas-electric-vehicle-aspirations/?utm_medium=push&utm_source=daily_caller&utm_campaign=push

US Automakers Have Used More Aggressive Language Than Trump To Describe China’s Aspirations

CHINA-ECONOMY-AUTOMOBILE

STR/AFP via Getty Images

ROBERT MCGREEVYCONTRIBUTOR
March 18, 20244:48 PM ET
FONT SIZE:

U.S. automakers have used far more inflammatory and extreme language than former President Trump’s “bloodbath” comments to describe the threat China poses to their industry.

Liberal media decried Trump’s use of the word “bloodbath” while he described the potential state of the U.S. auto industry if he doesn’t win the 2024 election at a Saturday rally in Vandalia, Ohio, casting his comments as authoritarian and extremist.

Trump warned China that he would impose a 100 percent tariff — up from the current 27.5 percent tariff currently in place on Chinese-made EVs — if they tried to import cars they manufacture in Mexico using non-American labor to the U.S. He then claimed, in the context of that threat, that there would be a “bloodbath” if he wasn’t elected. (RELATED: Biden Looks To Tariffs To Bolster Struggling Electric Vehicle Market)

“We’re going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys if I get elected,” Trump said at the rally. “Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole — that’s gonna be the least of it. It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country.”

Leftists across the media landscape cried foul, with MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough leading the charge. Scarborough tweeted, then deleted, a scathing rebuke of Trump’s remarks alongside a video of the January 6th riots.

“Donald Trump’s America. And he’s proud of it. Promised another ‘bloodbath’ if he loses again,” Scarbourough tweeted Saturday night.

The Alliance For American Manufacturing, meanwhile, described China’s cheap labor production in a way that makes bloodbath sound polite.

“The introduction of cheap Chinese autos — which are so inexpensive because they are backed with the power and funding of the Chinese government — to the American market could end up being an extinction-level event for the U.S. auto sector,” the Alliance said in a February report.

The United Auto Workers, whose President Shawn Fain recently endorsed Joe Biden, also released a 44 page report in 2021 highlighting the danger the Chinese electric vehicle sector poses to the American automotive industry.

“China has developed an industrial policy that uses targeted, proactive policies to increase demand for EV batteries and channel that demand toward the purchase of domestic products,” the report claimed.

“China is leveraging its position as the world’s largest automotive market and leading the world’s largest automakers to orient their EV strategies toward China,” the report also warned.

Even the Big Three automakers themselves have been sounding the alarm. A top official at Ford called Chinese EVs a “colossal strategic threat,” according to Bloomberg.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

On 3/18/2024 at 7:43 PM, Ron Wagner said:

U.S. automakers have used far more inflammatory and extreme language than former President Trump’s “bloodbath” comments to describe the threat China poses to their industry.

Liberal media decried Trump’s use of the word “bloodbath” while he described the potential state of the U.S. auto industry if he doesn’t win the 2024 election at a Saturday rally in Vandalia, Ohio, casting his comments as authoritarian and extremist.

He was talking about an actual bloodbath if not elected, like what happened last time (Jan 6). Trump only cares about trump, not the auto industry. 

They played a song for the rioters, called them patriots.

He also said immigrants "were not people"  No joke.  I'm “not allowed to say that because the radical left says it’s a terrible thing to say.” 

Perhaps because it is a terrible thing to say? 

Edited by TailingsPond

On 3/20/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ron Wagner said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKpCiDomgM

0:08 / 20:14 
21,000 Fires a Year! China’s Often Self-Igniting EVs & EBs Become Ubiquitous ‘Moving Bombs’

Interesting video Ron, though the "greenies" in here would say "nothing to see here".

• Upvote 1

(edited)

EVs are stalling and going quietly into decline.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-ev-sales-expected-to-only-increase-by-21-in-2024-as-ev-market-cools-but-chargers-and-range-arent-to-blame-302112559.html

"Sales problems in the U.S. can be attributed to an unsustainable reliance on Tesla, which is faltering as the supply of early adopters dwindles..."

Edited by Ecocharger

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-ev-sales-expected-to-only-increase-by-21-in-2024-as-ev-market-cools-but-chargers-and-range-arent-to-blame-302112559.html

"Sales problems in the U.S. can be attributed to an unsustainable reliance on Tesla, which is faltering as the supply of early adopters dwindles..."

you forgot to post the headline....here, I will help you out

Global EV Sales Expected to ....... Increase by 21% in 2024

so much for your decline

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

15 minutes ago, notsonice said:

you forgot to post the headline....here, I will help you out

Global EV Sales Expected to ....... Increase by 21% in 2024

so much for your decline

You forgot to put the headline in context, old man.

"Global EV Sales to ONLY Increase by 21%", way down from previous years.

"The latest forecasts from global technology intelligence firm ABI Research find that global Electric Vehicle (EV) sales are expected to grow by 21% in 2024 and 19% in 2025. This represents a significant decline from growth rates of 31% in 2023 and 60% in 2022."

So we have a clear downward trend, 60% - 31% - 21% - 19%...disaster, meltdown.

Your powers of reasoning seem to be fading fast.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Haha 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ecocharger said:

The first line in that link says 21% increase this year.  You sure love to cherry pick lines from articles and attempt to hide the rest. 21% per year is outstanding growth; I highly doubt you have any investments paying more than that.  Only a fool would call 21% growth a decline.   Would you say your credit card "only" has a 18% interest rate?  Of course not.

Global EV Sales Expected to Only Increase by 21% in 2024

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

2 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

So we have a clear downward trend, 60% - 31% - 21% - 19%...disaster, meltdown.

Your powers of reasoning seem to be fading fast.

Dude it is +31, +21, +19.

No negative signs.  Even if the trend reached a mathematical limit of 0% growth there would never be negative sales.  Also those percentages should be compounded each year.  As total sales grow the percentage growth becomes smaller naturally. The change between one and two is 100% growth, the change between 100 and 110 is "only" ten percent despite the actual growth being ten times as much as between one and two.

Edited by TailingsPond

This is what eco calls a decline.  If you graph it you can clearly see growth.

Lets say we start at 100 sale units. In the first year that goes up by 31% and we now have 131 sale units.  In year two that goes up again by 21% and we now have 158.5 sale units. In year three that goes up again by 19% and we have 188.6 sale units.

ev sale growth.png

• Like 1

EV sales are only happening in countries mandating them, massive over regulation of ICE, massively subsidizing them, all of the above, or in RICH households who already have 2 cars per driver so they can buy a city ONLY home charging 2nd car.   

When you can buy a NEW ICE vehicle for cost of a used EV without limitations of EV... you have to be braindead to buy EV if you can only buy one car regardless of the supposed benefits of EV operation costs. 

(edited)

To continue, even if the rate of growth continues to slow as per this "data" 20 years from now there would still be about 5% growth. 

Math is fun, try it sometime guys!  I know you guys struggle with words and numbers so I will use visual aids.

ev sale growth 2.png

Edited by TailingsPond

12 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

When you can buy a NEW ICE vehicle

You won't be able to buy a new ICE vehicle soon enough.  I recommend you buy several now so you do not run out before you die.  However, considering that you hold fossil human views you are probably old so maybe you just need one more?  Set for life!

pesky EVs

China year over year GDP growth is over 5 percent

China right now  has   declining oil imports/consumption

peak oil has happened everywhere except in India.........

enjoy the Green Transition

3 days ago  Chinese imports of crude oil fell in March by 6% compared to the same month last year as first-quarter crude imports were stable ...
Chinese imports of crude oil fell in March by 6% compared to the same month last year as first-quarter crude imports were stable year-over-year amid high volumes of Russian crude flowing to China.3 days ago
Oct 11, 2023  Sinopec just announced that 2023 marks peak gasoline demand in China. What is Sinopec? Merely the world's largest oil refining, gas, and ...

image.png.3a77ca0cb90fe38040410be8ee98d31b.png

Mar 6, 2024  Inflows totaled 88.3 million tons in January and February, according to data released by General Administration of Customs on Thursday.

Dec 6, 2023  China's crude oil imports in November fell 9.2% year-on-year, customs data showed on Thursday, in the first annual decline since April as ..

(edited)

In case you haven't been paying attention: China's economy has cratered this year.  You may wish to alleviate your ignorance by looking what happened to oil usage in USA after 911, 2008....  Give ya a hint: oil usage cratered, right along with the economy. 

Don't let your religion get in the way of basic reality now... 😝

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

In case you haven't been paying attention: China's economy has cratered this year.  You may wish to alleviate your ignorance by looking what happened to oil usage in USA after 911, 2008....  Give ya a hint: oil usage cratered, right along with the economy. 

Don't let your religion get in the way of basic reality now... 😝

China's economy has cratered this year???????

Ignorance?? yep you sure are the king of it

the only thing cratering in China these days is Oil Demnad

you really are a clueless wonder

• Like 1

9 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Give ya a hint: oil usage cratered, right along with the economy. 

You don't know which came first.

It could be that when people have less money they spend less on discretionary spending and postpone projects - which reduces oil consumption. 

You, I image, are thinking that people using less oil is weakening the economy.  That could be true if the price of oil was particularly high, but it wasn't.

Also remember that most government are trying to reduce inflation right now and are purposely slowing the economy with interest rates.

On 2/22/2024 at 11:17 PM, Ron Wagner said:

I want a clear playing field for the consumer to decide. Someday electric vehicles might make sense for more of us. The technology will improve for bothe ICE and electric vehicles. Small vehicles have a better chance at being electric. ICE engines can work on compressed natural gas, gasoline, or diesel. The biggest problem is government interference in allowing freedom of choice. 

The "clear playing field" would need to have some sort of a penalty in line with the cost to the environment. So anything from mining iron/lithium to CO2 emissions and PM5 due to brakes and tires. 

• Rolling Eye 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:41 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Are you insane?  A $50k car loses $25k over 4 years... If you trade it in that is ALL you get.... That depreciation only happens if you hit 100,000 miles(160,000km) if you actually OWN the car... or ~$6000/year or $500/month for your scenario.  If you actually OWN the car it is it is usually ~half that cost if private sale.   

Or, since your average home requires 2 cars if not 3 if you have Older children, you can buy

2 used cars 10 year old you can buy for ~ ALL in cost of $10k(including any deferred maintenance) per car with $5000 left over for a junker that runs for you kid.  Those 3 cars will run without major maintenance for another 7 years @15,000 miles/year and far more likely is 15 years with some maintenance which is absurdly easy to do.  If you can't figure out how to change out spark plugs etc, well that is your fault.  

Cost of owning used cars is literally 25% of your cost(Its actually far cheaper than this due to insurance costs, etc).  Oh boo hoo, it is not new and ***might*** have a breakdown.  So?  Fix it.  Not difficult.  Why you have multiple cars to begin with. 

Last car I bought was a Honda Odyssey... I have paid $700 to fix it($120 was a new battery) and got it for free as it was not running and was headed to the scrapper... It has run for an additional 12 years now with the only addition of typical, brakes, oil, etc.  

12 years/ $600 or $50/year... Not $500 per month or $6000/year.  

Want just as cheap?  Buy a used police car.  Can pick them up here in the USA for ~$5k-->8K with ~50k-->85k miles on them where near all of them are highway miles.  You would have to be an IDIOT to buy new or LEASE, but millions do every year.  Why?  EGO-->PRIDE

Also here in Europe I can buy a banger for €500 or less. I can buy my spare parts at any recycling plant for peanuts. But would I want to get my hands dirty, or stand at the side of a motorway due to a leaky cooling system. In short: no. Students can do that, not families.

I am surprised to hear that American cars do not depreciate as quickly as in Europe. Why is that? You claim that an 8 year old car still fetches 50% of original sales price. That's a car that will start needing considerable maintenance imminently. Timing belt, suspension, brakes, you name it. Why would people spend that much on an old car? 

Your story with the Honda Odyssey is great. Most people find that after 12-15 years the cost of repairs outprices the remaining value of the car and they do away with it. Mostly because of manhour rates, not even the parts.

• Like 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

am surprised to hear that American cars do not depreciate as quickly as in Europe.

A old US thought process in regards to Euorpean autos. The best time to own one...the first three yrs. In short the warranty expires after 3 yrs.

Funny how something's never change..

Fix

It

Again

Tony.

Such is life.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

9 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

Also here in Europe I can buy a banger for €500 or less. I can buy my spare parts at any recycling plant for peanuts. But would I want to get my hands dirty, or stand at the side of a motorway due to a leaky cooling system. In short: no. Students can do that, not families.

I am surprised to hear that American cars do not depreciate as quickly as in Europe. Why is that? You claim that an 8 year old car still fetches 50% of original sales price. That's a car that will start needing considerable maintenance imminently. Timing belt, suspension, brakes, you name it. Why would people spend that much on an old car? 

Your story with the Honda Odyssey is great. Most people find that after 12-15 years the cost of repairs outprices the remaining value of the car and they do away with it. Mostly because of manhour rates, not even the parts.

Families are the ones who have to go the used car route the most and always have an old beater or two.  You do not have tens of thousands to throw away on a car.  You buy used and fix it and then when children old enough they learn to work on the car and drive it to school.  Simple jobs anyone can do.   If you can't do car maintenance the problem is you, not the car.  If you are so dumb as to pay someone else to fix your car as you think so highly of yourself as your hands cannot contact grease, that is your problem, not the rest of the worlds problem who ALL run on used cars.  Also why you own 2 used cars and not one.  One breaks down need one more car to keep going while you take 2 days to fix it. 

8 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Families are the ones who have to go the used car route the most and always have an old beater or two.  You do not have tens of thousands to throw away on a car.  You buy used and fix it and then when children old enough they learn to work on the car and drive it to school.  Simple jobs anyone can do.   If you can't do car maintenance the problem is you, not the car.  If you are so dumb as to pay someone else to fix your car as you think so highly of yourself as your hands cannot contact grease, that is your problem, not the rest of the worlds problem who ALL run on used cars.  Also why you own 2 used cars and not one.  One breaks down need one more car to keep going while you take 2 days to fix it. 

You have such a myopic view of the world.

18 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

Joeroen Its because he makes up numbers, theyre usually BS and not backed up by any articles.

His grand plan is for all cars to travel in tunnels, whacko I know!

The most reliable cars globally are generally Japanese or South Korean.

Top 10 most reliable auto manufacturers | Bus Ex (bus-ex.com)

Most reliable car brands 2024 | BuyaCar

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/q4-2023-ev-sales

J.D. Power now forecasts U.S. electric vehicle market share will hit 12.4% in 2024, up from 7.6% in 2023. While that represents a gain of 63%, the rate is down 0.8 percentage points from the firm's original prediction. Last year, EV sales grew at a 50% pace, hitting one million units for the first time.Mar 5, 2024

Merriam Webster:  COLLAPSE 

: to fall or shrink together abruptly and completely : fall into a jumbled or flattened mass through the force of external pressure

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1